Surprise fry! - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Surprise fry!

I am currently doing a fishless cycle, but I just found a baby fry! I have no idea what it might be, all my plants came from a variety of different hobbiests. So should I try feeding it? I just picked up some fish food for when I start to stock in a week or two when my cycle is done. I tried taking a picture but I just have my phone and it’s too tiny. It’s black though which is interesting. Will the poor thing make it through the rest of the cycle? I’m getting the ammonia down to 0-0.25 every day and I’ve been raising it to 1-2 every day. My nitrites are holding steady at 2, and my nitrates are around 5 (jumped to 40 four days ago but back down to 5 the following day). Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B10F2AD9-E708-434E-BC5A-E8DFA8B1666D_1557275969467.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	881533  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would move it to a bowl or jar and do daily water changes to give it the best chance of survival and keep the cycle going with ammonia in your tank . Also be easier for it to find food in a smaller area .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally a bowl of uncycled water with no growing bacteria isnt going to be any better then a tank going thru the same thing and potentially further along in the cycle. Leave it be IMHO. Your already in the middle of your situation, starting over isnt the answer.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think maybe if you keep ammonia going, but a bit lower, he might make it and your cycle will take a tad longer but will still continue. Risky with you raising the ammonia so much each day, but he's survived so far.

But I agree moving the little guy is better. Try taking a bit of the media you've been cycling with, since it has some bacteria already, and add it to his bowl/jar. Maybe also add a plant clipping. His bioload is probably as close to zero as it can get, so if you do PWCs on his water every couple days it should be fine. You might grab "first bites" fish food for him. It's sold at most shops, and its cheap. Or you can grind adult food very very finely.
Leeatl likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Algae Grower

Feed it hard-boiled egg yolk. It should make fine particles in the water that the fry can eat. Don't overkill tho. It is a single fish fry.
Leeatl likes this.

One Fish
Two Fish
Red Fish
Blue fish

~Doctor Seuss~
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone! It's a fun little surprise, I'd love for it to grow and find out what it is. I'll leave it in there for now, but when the cycle finishes and I add a betta, I'll probably move it until it's big enough not to be a betta snack. I did grind two 'Bug Bites Betta pellets" and tried to feed that tonight (more stuck to the grinder and my fingers I think!), maybe it'll help, maybe not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I remove my fry and put them in a 'nursery' ('vase' with a bubbler (with a sponge filter) and some plants....)
All in the 'nursery' cost:
The large vase I had but its a nice square one that is 9 inches tall, so the filter doesnt splash. Craft stores usually have sales on vases.
Plants: I had trimmings and a anubia I forgot about in a jar on the windowsill in my laundry room, lol
Air bubbler: 4.80
sponge filter: 3.00
The light: I had- but you could pick one up for 6 bucks

I used some of my filter media to season the sponge filter. I feed my fry 4 times a day (they get live brine shrimp that I grow in a shot glass, frozen fish frenzy (veggies and protein), first bites or crushed flakes into powder), and do two water changes each day.

By the time my fry are large enough to go into the main tank, ill have another cycled quarantine tank (but ill use it for fry in the future).... which you should ALWAYS have a quarantine tank. So it may be worth setting it up regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
Thanks everyone! It's a fun little surprise, I'd love for it to grow and find out what it is. I'll leave it in there for now, but when the cycle finishes and I add a betta, I'll probably move it until it's big enough not to be a betta snack. I did grind two 'Bug Bites Betta pellets" and tried to feed that tonight (more stuck to the grinder and my fingers I think!), maybe it'll help, maybe not.
When you can take more pictures (they can be far away so camera can focus.... then magnify when on your computer) it will be so exciting! im slightly jealous, I like mystery fish.

They should make that a thing.... you order a box of 'mystery fry' haha!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5827.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	881605  

Leeatl likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-10-2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd leave it in the tank (which presumably contains lots of plants?) and stop adding any ammonia. The fry will grow out gradually and you'll basically be doing a fish in cycle - but with lots of plants and such a tiny fish/bioload you won't be harming the fish. By the time he's grown up and you are ready for swapping out for a beta the tank with be cycled.

It's hard to tell size with no scale if there is one of him and lots of plants he may have enough to peck at or you could grind a speck size amount of flake and try that - depends how big he is.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Leave him be, his belly is full of food so there's obviously enough micro-organisms in the tank. The shock of changing his water parameters might sicken or kill the little fish.

Like the other's mentioned let the tank finish cycling without adding any more ammonia and let him grow up. Watch his belly it should always be somewhat roundish. Commercial fry food would be a good substitute when he cleans the tank of all the micro critters.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
Please let us know as he grows...and more pics....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Btw- transporting fry can be difficult. Are you sure it’s fry? And not a tadpole? Hehe

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Planted Member

Time out. You reported you have nitrates in the tank you're cycling.

If you have nitrates your tank is cycled.

No need to keep adding ammonia....

If get a breeder net or something similiar, catch him in it, and leave it in the tank and add your betta.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well it’s still there! We’ve named it Waldo. It’s very active, stays near the surface at the back but seems to avoid the red root floaters in the tank. I love this little surprise! I’m going to leave it be and just watch.

Not sure how my cycle is going though, when I tested today I was still at ammonia 1, nitrites 2, and nitrates 5. It’s day 21, I seem to have stalled. I thought it wasn’t cycled until ammonia and nitrites we’re consistently being brought to zero each day (with a small addition at ammonia each day)?

But I’m not in a hurry to stock it, I’m still puttering with plant placement.

Question though, I do have some plant debris that’s building, is a small vacuum/water change a good idea?

And I do have an extra mini sponge filter in there right now so that I’ll have it ready when I need a quarantine tank

A shot from above (ignore the glass lid, I'm having a custom one made, my light is sitting on this one for now)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E4FEBDCB-E581-40E2-933E-FC274E319365_1557449276495.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	881633  

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yah, do a bit of housekeeping if debris is building up. Maybe the rotting vegetation is why your ammonia is still there. I'd avoid more than a 20% WC in the vacuuming to avoid big parameter swings if things are otherwise doing well, and stop adding ammonia. If you feed him, it'll just become a fish-in cycle as mentioned above. You might add the sponge filter you have on hand to seed it in case you decide to move him out later into his own tank when you get your intended fish.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fry are always exciting , especially mystery fry Keep us updated

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode