Community tank stocking procedures Q - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Community tank stocking procedures Q

I have a 15 gallon tall tank, that just finished cycling. I put 3 panda tetras in there last night (they've been hanging out in my 5 gallon shrimp tank waiting for their tank to finish cycling, for a few weeks). The awesome fish store I purchased them at is over an hour away. Because this tank is going to also have 3 female Bettas (sisters who have lived together since birth, who've been hanging out together in a bowl for a few weeks as well), I had to find something without flowing fins & a lot of color, to keep the likelihood of fin nipping and aggression to a minimum between the species. The store suggested I start with 3 pandas and then add the bettas a day later. Then I could come back and get 2-4 more panda tetras if everything was okay.

I assume they suggested this in case the Bettas were too aggressive with the tetras, which makes sense. My concern is that if I add the 2nd batch of tetras later, I will have messed up the "add Bettas last so they will have to establish territory around the fish that were there first" thing... Is that a problem? I really do want to end up with at least a half dozen tetras as small numbers just lead to them hiding all the time...which is pretty boring! I can't really run to the store on a whim since it's such a long drive though, and I really want to get the Bettas out of that tiny bowl...

Advice? I'm guessing it's just "try it and hope for the best," but I wondered if anyone else had insight... thanks!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cinnamonamon; 05-06-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: title adjustment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would just be ready to move the tetras out (or pull out the bettas) if things go south, but make sure you watch carefully after adding the new fish. My female betta cares less about tetras and such, so sometimes it is fine. That said I always recommend a backup plan.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
I would just be ready to move the tetras out (or pull out the bettas) if things go south, but make sure you watch carefully after adding the new fish. My female betta cares less about tetras and such, so sometimes it is fine. That said I always recommend a backup plan.

Thanks, I do have some spots for the bettas if it doesn't work out, though I'd be bummed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:54 AM
Planted Member

If the betta is fine with 3 it should be fine with 6. They are weird in that they can get along with everything/nothing/or certain colors of things.

My remaining male betta is fine with OTOs, amano and RCS shrimp, but hates with a passion the emerald brown shrimp I got. Like he would pick them out and start chasing/hunting them down. Had to move them to my big tank (and ended up moving the RCS with them just because).

My other deceased male betta in my big tank could care less about anything else besides other male bettas. Had him with everything and no issues.

They are weird fish.
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
If the betta is fine with 3 it should be fine with 6. They are weird in that they can get along with everything/nothing/or certain colors of things.

My remaining male betta is fine with OTOs, amano and RCS shrimp, but hates with a passion the emerald brown shrimp I got. Like he would pick them out and start chasing/hunting them down. Had to move them to my big tank (and ended up moving the RCS with them just because).

My other deceased male betta in my big tank could care less about anything else besides other male bettas. Had him with everything and no issues.

They are weird fish.
Thanks! They seemed okay last night. I only saw "getting to know you" sniffs -- though the Tetras are so shy I'm not sure they've even been discovered by all of them! The Bettas displayed more cautious behavior than I was expecting, actually. There is also one cherry red shrimp in there (it got caught in the net when I was moving the tetras)...I think I'll toss a few more in, today and see how it goes (my work tank had 100+ so if it's extra protein for the bettas it wouldn't be the end of the world, though I wouldn't keep doing it). We'll see how it goes -- they didn't seem to mind the golden mystery snail either, so it's looking promising.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode