33 Gallon Stocking Ideas - Open To Criticism! - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
33 Gallon Stocking Ideas - Open To Criticism!

Hey guys!

So I'm approaching the end of my cycle and I'm really excited to get some fish in my first tank! Its a 125L (33 gal) mid-heavily planted tank and my filter has a flow-rate of 600l/hr, so my turnover is about 4.8x/hr.

My stocking plan is:
- 9 Neon Tetras
- 5 Guppies
- 6 Celestial Pearl Danios
- 2 Honey Gourami
- 1 Pearl Gourami
- 3 Amano Shrimp

I'm also interested in other fish like Peacock Gudgeons and Panda or Julii Corydoras, but I think i'd be pushing it if I add them in...

These are some of my favorite species and I've tried to take into account at what tank level these guys swim so that I can have a well-spread tank. Also, I believe their water parameter requirements are also close. Now according to the "gallon per inch of fish" rule, I'd definitely be overstocked, however, I heard that rule is outdated. So what do you guys think? Overstocked or not? And please, don't be shy to suggest your own ideas!

Looking forward to hearing your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

cories for clean up crew?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

I'd scrap the guppies and increase the danios or neons. Got some of the danios last week, you won't be disappointed. Just personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thelongsnail and Starwarsfan like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
I'd scrap the guppies and increase the danios or neons. Got some of the danios last week, you won't be disappointed. Just personal preference.

This is interesting... Quite a few people (other forums) have been telling me to scrap the guppies. Is this due to there preference of hard water? Or breeding?

I love celestial pearl danios but I recently saw them in a store and they were TINY... and that really kind of put me off. They are also apparently very shy. Do you experience this?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That sounds fine to me but a great tool for this is aqadvisor.com. Take it with a pinch of salt but it's more accurate than the inch per gallon rule.

As said above though, I'd skip the guppies and get 10 neons and 10 danios instead. I'd probably also get 1m 3/4f honey gourami. Or I'd be comfortable with 2 honey gourami, 10x danios, 10x neons, 6x panda cory OR 10x corydoras pygmaeus/hastatus/habrosus, and 3x amano shrimp.

The only thing is that neons and CPDS both tend to inhabit the bottom-middle section of the tank as far as I'm aware. Perhaps you could trade one set for something that swims higher, maybe the guppies? Make sure they're all male though otherwise you'll be overrun.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

I’ll second the idea of narrowing the smaller schooling fish to two larger groups as opposed to three medium sized groups. I don’t know that I would skip the guppies necessarily, but they would be the outliers in terms of water parameters.
I personally wouldn’t recommend keeping a pearl gourami with CPDs, as it might be able to eat any smaller ones once it is full size, and I also wouldn’t recommend keeping honey and pearl gourami together, even though they aren’t known for being super aggressive, mixing them is a bit of a risk that I wouldn’t want to have.
Something that is not as trendy right now, but I’m personally a fan of is creating a school of larger tetra as a focal point. I’ve got a school of basic black skirt tetra, but when they get full size and school together, it’s quite impressive. Just something to consider...
I would definitely recommend considering some bottom feeders like corydoras or loaches (I love Kuhli loaches). But, that’s just a suggestion.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think only 6 CPD will be lost in that tank. I've had them before in a smaller tank and in a small number (7) and rarely saw them. So I think they will be quite shy in such a small school. They're a beautiful fish close up, but in my opinion do not show as well when looking at the tank as a whole, as the neons will. (actually I'd look at either cardinals or green neons - one of my favs - as an option to regular neons.)

So, I'd skip the CPD's and keep the guppies - all males would be my suggestion - increase the # of neons (or cardinals or green neons) and I'd also skip the pearl gourami.

Finally, how can anyone resist corydoras? So many to choose from, one cuter than the other. Gotta add some of these, don't ya think?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

Ive had 3 Pearl Gouramis in my 40g community tank before (1m/2f) and they are definitely a stunning fish with great personality
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Skip the CPDs, I have some in a nano tank, but they are indeed shy and would just hide in a busy large tank. You'll hardly ever see them.

Maybe instead of guppies, get an all-male group of Endlers, as they have a bit less bioload, freeing you up for small cories. I have both pygmaus and hasbrosus. Pygmaus are cute, but will spend roughly half the time on the bottom and half the time midwater. The hasbrosus though are just like tiny versions of the larger cories, but you could have almost a dozen if you skip the CPDs and swap for endlers. You could also instead do 5 or 6 pandas, but cories are most fun in bigger groups, so hasbrosus would be my 1st choice here.

Agree with the cautions mentioned about the gouramis. Most of your fish here are really small anyway, so maybe a group of croaking (aka sparkling) gouramis would be better than getting a few the larger ones. They are beautiful once settled into a planted tank, and won't get big enough to threaten anyone.

I also suggest slightly increasing the headcount of tetras. More in the group will result in better schooling behavior and a much more impactful display in your tank.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Monzer View Post
This is interesting... Quite a few people (other forums) have been telling me to scrap the guppies. Is this due to there preference of hard water? Or breeding?

I love celestial pearl danios but I recently saw them in a store and they were TINY... and that really kind of put me off. They are also apparently very shy. Do you experience this?
For 2 reasons, breeding being the main one but even if you had all males I'd be inclined to have a larger group of one of the other 2 as I think it will be both more visually striking but also they will have a tendancy to be less shy. Again just a personal preference. I'm running a tank at the moment with cardinals, CPD and chilli rasbora, the only regret I have is adding the guppy's lol.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Monzer View Post
Hey guys!

So I'm approaching the end of my cycle and I'm really excited to get some fish in my first tank! Its a 125L (33 gal) mid-heavily planted tank and my filter has a flow-rate of 600l/hr, so my turnover is about 4.8x/hr.

My stocking plan is:
- 9 Neon Tetras
- 5 Guppies
- 6 Celestial Pearl Danios
- 2 Honey Gourami
- 1 Pearl Gourami
- 3 Amano Shrimp

I'm also interested in other fish like Peacock Gudgeons and Panda or Julii Corydoras, but I think i'd be pushing it if I add them in...

These are some of my favorite species and I've tried to take into account at what tank level these guys swim so that I can have a well-spread tank. Also, I believe their water parameter requirements are also close. Now according to the "gallon per inch of fish" rule, I'd definitely be overstocked, however, I heard that rule is outdated. So what do you guys think? Overstocked or not? And please, don't be shy to suggest your own ideas!

Looking forward to hearing your replies!
Overall a fine choice. My personal opinion would be to go with either honey gourami or pearl gourami. Different types of gourami tend to not get along well. Honey gourami tend to do best in groups, so if you take out the pearl I would at least double the number of honeys. If you remove the honeys maybe up some of the schooling fish.

With the guppies are you doing all male or male/female. I'd imagine the other fish would appreciate the babies as snacks, but you never know...

Not looking at how much you can fit right now, but cories would be a good fit here since they would be your only bottom feeders. I would personally do some instead of the cpd's as you likely won't see the cbd's. If the cories you have listed won't fit look into something like habrosus.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

I have a feeling that the gourami will go after the shrimp. Hopefully, the plants will keep them safe . Maybe get a few Siamese Algae Eaters. I absolutely love guppies, so I might be biased about fish preferences. Guppies shouldn't cause too much trouble. Make sure you keep one strain tho or else you will have a ton of trash guppies (which I still think look pretty cool). Lastly, scrap the Neons for Cardinal tetras. I feel like cardinals are just more beautiful (and luckier!) fish since my bad experiences with neons (who ended up with dying out with 1 left) never happened with cardinals.

One Fish
Two Fish
Red Fish
Blue fish

~Doctor Seuss~

Last edited by Schoolofdisabledguppies; 05-08-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: duplicate
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:21 AM
Planted Member

Just curious I recently got 4 CPDs (gonna get more when they are in stock). They hang out in the upper middle area above some plants pretty much all the time. They dont generally hide out or anything unless one of my juliis does there mad scramble and freaks everyone out.

I also added some ember tetras (6) today and the CPDs were kind of schooling with them a bit, plus one of the CPDs was playing a little tag with one of them. The CPDs are young just under half an inch.

Do CPDs usually hide all the time? Curious if Ive just got odd balls or something.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post

Do CPDs usually hide all the time? Curious if Ive just got odd balls or something.
If I wanna see mine, I have to feed them.

They have a 5g to themselves. Maybe I need dither fish.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've pretty much concluded my stock list based on your comments and further research. It goes like this:

- 2 Pearl Gourami
- 15 Cardinal Tetra
- 4 Otocinclus Catfish
- 2 German Blue Ram
- 4 Amano Shrimp
- 2 Peacock Gudgeons (Maybe)

Looking forward to hearing back from you all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode