I caught the DISCUS bug! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i use to have discus before and they needs pristine water to grow .you should visit simplydiscus.com .
RollaPrime likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Algae Grower

I decided to get back into the hobby two years ago because I never had but wanted a planted tank. About 6 months ago and my "Amazon" 55 gal community tank seemed to be doing well so I got two juvy Discus at my LFS, and today when I turned on my lights I saw that my Discus laid eggs! About two weeks ago I noticed I had a bunch of Panda Cory's [I only had two]. I came here today to read about Discus Propagation, but I think that may be down the road; maybe.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akd200 View Post
I decided to get back into the hobby two years ago because I never had but wanted a planted tank. About 6 months ago and my "Amazon" 55 gal community tank seemed to be doing well so I got two juvy Discus at my LFS, and today when I turned on my lights I saw that my Discus laid eggs! About two weeks ago I noticed I had a bunch of Panda Cory's [I only had two]. I came here today to read about Discus Propagation, but I think that may be down the road; maybe.

Congrats! Pics if and when you get time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltdiscus View Post
i use to have discus before and they needs pristine water to grow .you should visit simplydiscus.com .
I'm going to be signing up their shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMoHoosier View Post
Didn't realize you're across the pond. Stendkers are bred in Germany, so I'm sure you can find them in the UK. Discus Hans is their distributor in the US. Every breeder has their own name for a strain, so what one may call a white butterfly, another may call something else. The biggest "rule" with crossing strains is not to cross pigeon blood based with non-pigeon blood based strains or the offspring will end up with what's called peppering. Pigeon blood discus have the black barring (sometimes called stress or mood bars) bred out of them. When excited (feeding, breeding, etc.) or stressed, non-pigeon blood strains will show vertical black bars. When crossed with pigeon blood discus the genes for the bars are not expressed as bars but look more like black specks all over the body. BTW that white butterfly looks to be a pigeon blood based (many whites/silvers are). Best of luck!
Thanks a ton again Tex. I've sent an email to Stendkers about shipping to the UK so all things considered you might end up as my discus' "across the pond" Uncle lol. I'll let you know how things turn out.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Stendkers can get huge.

Here is my Stendker "Tefe" pair from Hans. He imports them from Germany.

The female:

Male: Top- front
Greggz and RollaPrime like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:17 AM
Planted Member

I use to have a pair when I was in my early teens. Grew them up from a shipment that showed up to the parents shop. Pretty sure back then (late 80s) they were wild caught but not sure, they were the darker brown with blue marbling and looked pretty good. Nothing like what is available today by any means. Some of the ones being bread now are pretty amazing.

I had them in a brown tank or whatever its called and they did well. Got eggs on a regular basis and occasionally had a small number of fry make it too, however had to forgo taking care of them and sold them at the shop to someone with a 200g or so tank if I remember correctly.

They are pretty cool fish.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think I'm ready to get started. I just need to find a decent supplier here in the UK.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pigeon blood red Discus ordered!
Discusluv likes this.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
Pigeon blood red Discus ordered!
Congrats! Did you get from a local breeder? Commercial?
RollaPrime likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Congrats! Did you get from a local breeder? Commercial?
Stendker imports from the EU. It took a while to find a reputable breeder/importer but at the time they didn't have the "White butterfly" strain I wanted. Pigeon blood was the close second choice from. Actually there are about 11 other strains that were a close second
Discusluv likes this.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Awesome! The Stendker German Wonder is the next pair I want to get. Beautiful discus.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Awesome! The Stendker German Wonder is the next pair I want to get. Beautiful discus.

Choosing between strains is perhaps one of the most difficult things I've done in this hobby. I think I've spent at least 2 hours over the past two weeks looking at this pic

And many more looking at these strains on youtube.
Discusluv and Yaboihunt like this.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Look at the noggin on that white leopard- its a brute. LOL
RollaPrime likes this.

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So my Stendker discus arrived on Thursday via UPS shipping. I didn't have the tank setup or know until the night before that they'd arrive. I cleaned the tank thoroughly siphoned every inch of substrate until the siphon ran clean when pushed into the substrate which totaled out at 4 100% water changes. They arrived in good condition but wouldn't eat. Thursday, I tried some basic NLS flake and they turned their nose up at it.

I tried morning and night, for 4 days straight using several different foods and they'd look at it and swim away...

And then today, BOOM. They ate. Messy, spitting the food out and then eating it again but they ate. I was so elated that I decided to film it and on watching the replay I saw something really unexpected. One of the discus started "shimmying." It can't be displaying, right? They haven't even colored up yet and are two young but I've got it on film and the shimmy is undeniable.

Any advice or thoughts?
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Discus are notorious for refusing to eat when go through stress of shipping. Ive had fish that it took 2 weeks before they ate. At least all yours ate within a few days. Good sign.

What size discus did you end up ordering?

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Saw that they're selling Discus at the local Petcos around here. Hate to see that. You know that most all of them are doomed. Some nice looking fish too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode