Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Small white hairs on betta?

Setup:
Tank: 5 gallon
Original setup: More than a year ago; cycled
Equipment: Heater, Filter, Airstone, Light
Water changes: Weekly, 50%
Occupants: 1 betta, 2 amano shrimp, 2 nerite snail (one is going to be moved out)

Parameters:
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH: 8.4-16.8
Chlorine: 0
KH: 0
pH: 6.2-6.8
Ammonia: 0
Temperature: 78.1

Problem:
I'm starting to think my 5 gallon is cursed, though whatever is affecting this betta may be something that happened to my last belated betta.

Today I noticed tiny short white strings on my betta that I recently moved into the previously vacant 5 gallon (pictures below).

At first I thought ick but these aren't spots, they're little strings.

Are these anchor worms? I ordered API General Cure just in case. If these ARE anchor worms, they're far too small to remove manually. Or is this what excess mucus on a fish looks like?

I think I see some on my other betta who spent some time in this tank previously; super small and hard except at certain angles.

Behavior:
His behavior seems to be normal and he is eating, but his fins look more clamped.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 04-29-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Planted Member

It does look like anchor worms. I think you need to use Hikari CyroPro, not General Cure.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
It does look like anchor worms. I think you need to use Hikari CyroPro, not General Cure.
@Ravynn Would Seachem Polyguard do the same thing? If I order Hikari CyroPro, fastest it gets here is Wednesday, but if I order Seachem Polyguard, it can get here tomorrow. I wish my LFS carried these...

get out of my house

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
@Ravynn Would Seachem Polyguard do the same thing? If I order Hikari CyroPro, fastest it gets here is Wednesday, but if I order Seachem Polyguard, it can get here tomorrow. I wish my LFS carried these...
I don't think so, seems like a mixture of different meds. It would probably be best to wait until Wednesday. There is also Microbe-Lift Lice & Anchor Worm treatment but personally i'd go for the Hikari stuff first.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I don't think so, seems like a mixture of different meds. It would probably be best to wait until Wednesday. There is also Microbe-Lift Lice & Anchor Worm treatment but personally i'd go for the Hikari stuff first.
I placed the order for Hikari CyroPro, it'll be here in 2 days. In the meantime I was thinking an aquarium salt bath, 5 tsp for 5 gallons. If I do an aquarium bath daily, should I be doing a water change with it every time?

Also, I read the instructions for the Hikari CyroPro, but what will I do directly with the fish involved? It says 90% water change, do I do a dip while they're out of the tank?

get out of my house
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I placed the order for Hikari CyroPro, it'll be here in 2 days. In the meantime I was thinking an aquarium salt bath, 5 tsp for 5 gallons. If I do an aquarium bath daily, should I be doing a water change with it every time?

Also, I read the instructions for the Hikari CyroPro, but what will I do directly with the fish involved? It says 90% water change, do I do a dip while they're out of the tank?
Where did you read you need to do a 90% water change? With the instructions on their main website (CyroPro? - Hikari Sales USA) it says to dose the entire tank affected every 7 days for a minimum of 21 uninterrupted days and do a water change before every dose but doesn't say you need to do 90%. You could do 50-75%.

I'm not sure if you can get this locally but i've had great success using Seachem Stressguard for healing wounds fast and anchor worms can cause micro abrasions from anchoring to the fish. It's not neccessary as clean water will help but i've noticed faster healing with it.

Instead of a salt bath I would personally just do a big water change the day before the CyroPro arrives and dose as soon as you get it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Are you talking about the long hairs coming off the Betta?- that's not anchor worm- too long.

The shorter ones- I dont know- cant see them close enough. If they are they will have a distinct forked tail that can see with a magnifying glass. Anchor worms are painful to the fish where they attach and the areas around it will be red and inflamed. The fish will rub on objects trying to get them off and also, possibly, swimming in short bursts in an attempt to escape them.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Where did you read you need to do a 90% water change?
@Ravynn I read it here, on the 'Directions for Use' image.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can get this locally but i've had great success using Seachem Stressguard for healing wounds fast and anchor worms can cause micro abrasions from anchoring to the fish. It's not neccessary as clean water will help but i've noticed faster healing with it.
I think my LFS has Stress Guard (or at least, their website does). I can pick some up tomorrow. But how do I get these little things off?

Quote:
Instead of a salt bath I would personally just do a big water change the day before the CyroPro arrives and dose as soon as you get it.
I can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Are you talking about the long hairs coming off the Betta?- that's not anchor worm- too long.

@Discusluv The shorter ones- I dont know- cant see them close enough. If they are they will have a distinct forked tail that can see with a magnifying glass. Anchor worms are painful to the fish where they attach and the areas around it will be red and inflamed. The fish will rub on objects trying to get them off and also, possibly, swimming in short bursts in an attempt to escape them.
By longer hairs, do you mean the ones in the first picture? That's some cat fur, the cat sheds like crazy and it gets in the aquariums.

I used a magnifying glass and studied him pretty closely but whatever this stuff is, it's still too tiny for me to see if they have forked tails. It looks like they're also on his fins, which look more clamped than they were earlier. I don't see any red or inflamed areas, however.

They don't look like any pictures of anchor worms I've seen, but I have no idea what else they could be. I keep researching but I'm not finding anything that resembles this.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 04-30-2019 at 05:24 AM. Reason: last bit
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I used a magnifying glass and studied him pretty closely but whatever this stuff is, it's still too tiny for me to see if they have forked tails. It looks like they're also on his fins, which look more clamped than they were earlier. I don't see any red or inflamed areas, however.

They don't look like any pictures of anchor worms I've seen, but I have no idea what else they could be. I keep researching but I'm not finding anything that resembles this.
I would just do a 75% water change... I just tried to search around the internet as well for all types of external parasites and the only kind i'm able to find that resembles what is on your betta is anchor worms. I did find a thread on another forum and someone posted a picture of their fish with the same short threads that your betta has and the consensus was that is was anchor worms.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I would just do a 75% water change... I just tried to search around the internet as well for all types of external parasites and the only kind i'm able to find that resembles what is on your betta is anchor worms. I did find a thread on another forum and someone posted a picture of their fish with the same short threads that your betta has and the consensus was that is was anchor worms.
Wish I knew for certain, but whatever they are, I'm going to go ahead and just treat them as external parasites and medicate for it. I'll update how it goes. I'm going to have to do it to two betta tanks, since both bettas have these things. One betta has cloudy eye, so it's possible these things are contributing to the stress that's exacerbating it.
@Ravynn @Discusluv
Update 5/09: Week #2 of dosing Hikari CyroPro. The betta that had fewer of these things (not pictured in thread) doesn't look like she has any now, but the other betta who seems to have gotten the worst of it still has them. Instructions say to dose Hikari CyroPro once a week for a total of 21 days (3 weeks). I dosed today but forgot to do the water change beforehand. I don't know if I'm okay to dose again, or just dose half if I do a 50% water change.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 05-10-2019 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added update
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Wish I knew for certain, but whatever they are, I'm going to go ahead and just treat them as external parasites and medicate for it. I'll update how it goes. I'm going to have to do it to two betta tanks, since both bettas have these things. One betta has cloudy eye, so it's possible these things are contributing to the stress that's exacerbating it.
@Ravynn @Discusluv
Update 5/09: Week #2 of dosing Hikari CyroPro. The betta that had fewer of these things (not pictured in thread) doesn't look like she has any now, but the other betta who seems to have gotten the worst of it still has them. Instructions say to dose Hikari CyroPro once a week for a total of 21 days (3 weeks). I dosed today but forgot to do the water change beforehand. I don't know if I'm okay to dose again, or just dose half if I do a 50% water change.
What did you end up doing? Glad that at least one of them is showing improvement. I wonder if doing a salt or Hydroplex bath out of the tank would help to rid of some of the ones that are really sticking to the other betta. It might make things speed up.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Ravynn Would it be better to do an aquarium salt bath inside the tank or outside like a dip?

get out of my house
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
@Ravynn Would it be better to do an aquarium salt bath inside the tank or outside like a dip?
I would do outside the tank so it doesn't mix with the medication. I would do it just to see if it has any effect on the parasites.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Ravynn It looks like I might not have to resort to a salt dip after all. I took a good look at the male betta today and I only saw one of those tiny white things. Today he is scheduled for the 3rd/final dose of Hikari CyroPro, and I did a 50% water change last night, so I'm going to add the stuff to both betta tanks today and hopefully that will be the last of the little buggers.

I should note though that he is still stressed (clamping his fins).

I will likely give a salt dip to the female because she still has multiple of the tiny things.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 05-16-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Just looked at the other betta
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
@Ravynn It looks like I might not have to resort to a salt dip after all. I took a good look at the male betta today and I only saw one of those tiny white things. Today he is scheduled for the 3rd/final dose of Hikari CyroPro, and I did a 50% water change last night, so I'm going to add the stuff to both betta tanks today and hopefully that will be the last of the little buggers.

I should note though that he is still stressed (clamping his fins).

I will likely give a salt dip to the female because she still has multiple of the tiny things.
If you have any suspicions of them not being gone after the 3rd dose, I wouldn't hesitate to do it a 4th time just to be sure (especially with the female).

Tags
betta, external parasites

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode