Small white hairs on betta? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ryan Mosby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 389
Been dosing Hikari CyroPro every week now. Sometimes it looks like these things--whatever they are--are gone, but then a few gradually show up again.

He's still got clamped fins and has been dealing with fin rot. I treated daily with Paraguard and aquarium salt with water changes (starting May 25) and today stopped both and started with Microbe-Lift Artemiss. It's hard to tell if his fins are getting better or not.

get out of my house
Ryan Mosby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: PNW
Posts: 803
Hopefully the artemiss helps, it helped my betta alot as far as fin rot was concerned.
Quint is online now  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,348
What are the active ingredients in artemiss? I dont see it online.



Edit:
Never mind. The ingredients are not known by anyone by design of company.
I did find this. Scroll to bottom and look under the heading of Microbe-Lift Artemiss.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....4.html#microbe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discusluv; 06-07-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: more info
Discusluv is online now  
 
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ryan Mosby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 389
@Discusluv This is really disconcerting. I tried to look up the MSDS safety sheet and it just says "Ingredients are proprietary." I'm not sure why Microbe-Lift doesn't feel comfortable enough listing the ingredients, but it makes me nervous. I'll take my chances with Paraguard again.

get out of my house
Ryan Mosby is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
@Discusluv This is really disconcerting. I tried to look up the MSDS safety sheet and it just says "Ingredients are proprietary." I'm not sure why Microbe-Lift doesn't feel comfortable enough listing the ingredients, but it makes me nervous. I'll take my chances with Paraguard again.
When I recommend medications I am always concerned with the active ingredients. This tells you what the particular medication will treat and how. I am not against herbal types of medication that list their ingredients- like Melafix. It is made of melaleuca oils that work as an antiseptic- keeping areas of wounds, torn fins, scale damage inhospitable to bacterial growth. This product cannot cure an active bacterial infection, but it can help to prevent one in some cases.



When a medication doesn't list their ingredients it makes me suspicious. The company is asking the customer to trust that their "mystery blend" will cure x,y, z without giving them information of the active ingredients that will do this. Not good.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ryan Mosby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 389
Aaaand the little parasites are back. On both bettas. It seemed like for a few weeks they were gone but I noticed them today. They're the size they were before on the female, and they look a little smaller/younger on the male. I had to use a magnifying glass to get a better look, but they're still so small that I can't tell if they have forked tails like anchor worms or not. I just noticed yesterday that the male's fin rot is back, so I wonder if this is at all connected.

Guess it's back to medicating--for fin rot AND parasites.

On an interesting note, they never seem to really bother the female. Her health never declines, she doesn't scratch on anything, or act at all peculiar. I wonder if it's because she's a dragonscale, maybe her scales are too thick for them?

get out of my house
Ryan Mosby is offline  
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 PM
Planted Member
 
Ravynn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
Aaaand the little parasites are back. On both bettas. It seemed like for a few weeks they were gone but I noticed them today. They're the size they were before on the female, and they look a little smaller/younger on the male. I had to use a magnifying glass to get a better look, but they're still so small that I can't tell if they have forked tails like anchor worms or not. I just noticed yesterday that the male's fin rot is back, so I wonder if this is at all connected.

Guess it's back to medicating--for fin rot AND parasites.

On an interesting note, they never seem to really bother the female. Her health never declines, she doesn't scratch on anything, or act at all peculiar. I wonder if it's because she's a dragonscale, maybe her scales are too thick for them?
That's so odd. Maybe something else needs to be used. I can't remember, have you tried Prazipro yet? I'd try that.

Also, do these little white hairs move at all? Do they sway in the current, retract back or anything?

Last edited by Ravynn; 07-14-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: edit
Ravynn is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ryan Mosby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 389
I have some but I haven't tried it yet; I'll start that up today.

get out of my house
Ryan Mosby is offline  
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Planted Member
 
Ravynn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
I have some but I haven't tried it yet; I'll start that up today.
I asked about if they move or not because I just so happened to pick up a twig catfish yesterday and thought of your thread. I found 2 little white worms about 1-2mm on the edges of the tail fin. I dabbed with hydrogen peroxide on a qtip with the fish out of water and they're gone/dead.
Ravynn is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ryan Mosby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 389
So an update for today: occasionally these buggers would reappear, I'd dose the tank with Hikari Cyropro and they'd disappear for a few weeks and then come back. There weren't any a few days ago but today I saw some on my male betta and was lucky enough to see that one of them DOES have a forked tail. I guess these outer parasites are just super tiny anchor worms. Time to dose the tank again, but I wonder if these things will ever truly go away.

I don't see any on my female betta; she's had them before (got infected when she was in the other one's tank before him). I think they died off in her tank because her scales are so thick (nearly full mask dragonscale) that I don't think they can penetrate. However, is it okay to dose her tank with Hikari Cyropro anyway, just in case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
I asked about if they move or not because I just so happened to pick up a twig catfish yesterday and thought of your thread. I found 2 little white worms about 1-2mm on the edges of the tail fin. I dabbed with hydrogen peroxide on a qtip with the fish out of water and they're gone/dead.
@Ravynn These are very tiny, that even if I dab them I'm concerned I'll miss some and that they'll keep coming.

get out of my house
Ryan Mosby is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Planted Member
 
Ravynn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
So an update for today: occasionally these buggers would reappear, I'd dose the tank with Hikari Cyropro and they'd disappear for a few weeks and then come back. There weren't any a few days ago but today I saw some on my male betta and was lucky enough to see that one of them DOES have a forked tail. I guess these outer parasites are just super tiny anchor worms. Time to dose the tank again, but I wonder if these things will ever truly go away.

I don't see any on my female betta; she's had them before (got infected when she was in the other one's tank before him). I think they died off in her tank because her scales are so thick (nearly full mask dragonscale) that I don't think they can penetrate. However, is it okay to dose her tank with Hikari Cyropro anyway, just in case?



@Ravynn These are very tiny, that even if I dab them I'm concerned I'll miss some and that they'll keep coming.
Back then I definitely over-exaggerated the size. They were maybe half a mm, but I couldn't see a forked tail. I don't see why it would be an issue dosing the female's tank as a preventative. It's so puzzling that they keep coming back on your male... maybe some sort of different species of anchor worm?
Ravynn is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:25 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 41
I have just ordered this

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01F4WLG88/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Hopefully it works on my Kissing Gourami. Will keep you posted.
Pearl_Gourami is offline  
Reply

Tags
betta, external parasites

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White spot on betta? _scootypuffjr_ Fish 2 04-29-2019 09:25 PM
small white bug ID Qwe General Planted Tank Discussion 4 06-09-2015 09:36 PM
Small wild betta in my community tank, perhaps? Betta132 Fish 10 06-21-2014 07:52 PM
Small white worms? andbigdaddy2 Fish 9 10-27-2006 06:35 PM
What are these, small white dots on wood? Martijn General Planted Tank Discussion 4 10-14-2006 06:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome