Conditioning CPD - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Conditioning CPD

I moved my male and female CPD into a 10 yesterday in hopes of conditioning and breeding. The male is more fat than the female! I'm hatching brine shrimp and have microworms, and frozen bloodworms. I fed bbs 3 times today and the male seems to eat a lot more than the female. She has a sunken belly, but the male looks perfectly healthy. How long should I keep up the heavy feeding to get her into shape?

EDIT: Further updates are now in my 10 low tech RCS journal, link in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 05-22-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Moving updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
I moved my male and female CPD into a 10 yesterday in hopes of conditioning and breeding. The male is more fat than the female! I'm hatching brine shrimp and have microworms, and frozen bloodworms. I fed bbs 3 times today and the male seems to eat a lot more than the female. She has a sunken belly, but the male looks perfectly healthy. How long should I keep up the heavy feeding to get her into shape?
I would keep it up until she's nice and fat, possibly until after seeing a spawn. If she doesn't start looking plumper in the next two weeks I'd start looking into internal parasite treatment because she should not have a sunken belly with this type of feeding regimen for very long.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 on above post

Curious, how are you planning on doing the breeding? Mesh bottom tank, Mop technique or some other way?

Mop

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
+1 on above post

Curious, how are you planning on doing the breeding? Mesh bottom tank, Mop technique or some other way?
I have set up my old 10 gallon. RCS are coming by Friday and I just put a bunch of trimmings from my other tank into the 10. She seems more comfortable with more plants. I have subwassertang on rocks that will form a nice bushy area. I've had zebra danios breed like mad in the base of Bacopa, so I have some in there. I'll get a pic up, but I'm in no rush, the tank has to grow in and the female needs to get fat and happy!

Its strange I think she was less stressed in the 29 even though there are jerk long fin danios that are territorial. Maybe its because the male is flashing at her constantly in a smaller tank? The get along great and she just doesn't get enough alone time.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
I have set up my old 10 gallon. RCS are coming by Friday and I just put a bunch of trimmings from my other tank into the 10. She seems more comfortable with more plants. I have subwassertang on rocks that will form a nice bushy area. I've had zebra danios breed like mad in the base of Bacopa, so I have some in there. I'll get a pic up, but I'm in no rush, the tank has to grow in and the female needs to get fat and happy!

Its strange I think she was less stressed in the 29 even though there are jerk long fin danios that are territorial. Maybe its because the male is flashing at her constantly in a smaller tank? The get along great and she just doesn't get enough alone time.
Any chance you could add another female (or even two) to the smaller tank to split up the male's attention? I think this would increase your chances of getting a good spawn, and the females will reach peak condition more quickly with less stress/an easier time getting alone time when they are tired of the male's attention.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post

Any chance you could add another female (or even two) to the smaller tank to split up the male's attention? I think this would increase your chances of getting a good spawn, and the females will reach peak condition more quickly with less stress/an easier time getting alone time when they are tired of the male's attention.
I was thinking of that, but this was an unexpected thing, and I cant put more money into the project. I want to move the male back to the 29 for a while to see if that helps, but Im not sure being solo in either tank would be good? Any advice there?

I got home from work and fed some bbs, and the female was all over the tank eating them up. Her belly seems to be more flat than caved in now. Any suggestions on leaving them together or separating them?

I moved the sponge filter yesterday because I didn't like the flow it created on the back right corner. Food was staying into the front right corner, which they tend to shy away from. This placement seems to have a nice current so the food circulates where they prefer to swim.

I tried my best to get a decent shot of the female, but she never stays still with anything close to the glass.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-28-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If she's putting on fat I'd keep them together for now. As soon as your plants fill in the issue will be solved and she'll have more hiding places. In the meantime you might want to put in a DIY spawning mop or a container tilted on its side to make a cave to create sight barriers and hiding spots.

But aside from this situation, I have kept a male CPD on his own for a few months after the rest of his species were eaten (oops) and he was just fine and happy/fully colored until I eventually bought more CPD's.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Long story short, they were separated for two weeks, she got fat. Put him back in a few hours before lights out and immediately they started doing a circle dance together! She was also “clicking” her fins toward him so I’m hoping for some action tomorrow morning!

Now the tough part, do I leave them in there for three days and take them out as eggs get close to hatching to maximize eggs, or hope they do their business and take them out later in the day?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

Ya need some java moss in there..... in my humble uneducated opinion I would do a day or two just remembering they can eat the eggs also. Ive scene a couple of mine doing dances and what not but not sure if they are two males or male/female.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Ya need some java moss in there..... in my humble uneducated opinion I would do a day or two just remembering they can eat the eggs also. Ive scene a couple of mine doing dances and what not but not sure if they are two males or male/female.
Yea, that would be nice. Trying to do this without spending any money though. If I think they’ve laid eggs, either in subwassertang/hornwort/or the base of the bacopas, I’ll do a quick vac and pippete the eggs out. Maybe I could rig up a cup breeder box for a few days or hide them under the leaf.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 AM
Planted Member

Or just move the parents to the 29g you mentioned. The babies would be happy in the tank as long as the cycle stays intact which shouldnt be a problem I would think.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My CPD dreams might be over &#x1f61e; that dancing has turned into a turf war. I think the female in the tank solo turned her too confident. (Yes, they are very easy to sex and I have a male/female pair) They are battling, maybe I got lucky and they laid last night or before the lights were on, but if this doesn’t end I’m sure they’ll exhaust themselves and one will die. I wanted to get these bred before my pandas reach size then breed them, so disappointing.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My largest batch ever I just used a bucket and moss and an air stone... maybe they're just annoyed at you staring them down with no place for them to hide you dirty perv.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Planted Member

Maybe ya got lucky (or should I say he got lucky) and they spawned and now she doesnt want him around. Could also be just having the two in there with no others to break up the attention.

I have noticed mine (have 5 of them so far) will be fine together for a while then they break up into sparring pairs for a little bit. They also spar with the ember tetras that Ive got. Ofcourse they also kind of shoal with the tetras. They are odd little fishes and fun to watch.

Would be cool if you could get some babies out of the deal. Treat it like they spawned just in case.
frogmanjared likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right now in my cpd tanks there's too many juvies for the babies to survive, but I still get some by feeding the moss/algae in their tanks to my crayfish... some random fry appear in my crayfish tank. You should do like quint suggests and pretend like it worked, you may be surprised.
frogmanjared likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode