Red ventral fins on new betta--fin rot? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Red ventral fins on new betta--fin rot?

Yesterday I noticed red ventral fins on my new betta; I'm not sure if they are naturally like this or if this is a new development because she rarely shows her ventral fins, she usually keeps them clamped against her belly. Occasionally she'll display them, but only very briefly. Today I managed to get a picture. Is this fin rot or coloring?

Here are some pictures of her a month ago, from the seller. She doesn't show her pelvis fins in the pictures then, either.

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:51 AM
Planted Member

Nice looking betta. Cant add much. My blue betta male had fin fungus which I treated with microbe lift artemiss and it caused the one little section to fall off in a few days and he was all better afterwards.

Hopefully yours isnt an issue and just coloration. I will add the artemiss had zero issues with the betta and a few shrimp in the tank.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Quint I don't have Microbe-Lift Artemiss so I'll pick some up from my LFS. It says to alternate between that and Microbe-Lift Herbtana if it's a new fish in a aquarium, so I think that'll be a good approach.

get out of my house

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:33 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
@Quint I don't have Microbe-Lift Artemiss so I'll pick some up from my LFS. It says to alternate between that and Microbe-Lift Herbtana if it's a new fish in a aquarium, so I think that'll be a good approach.

Ive been out of fish keeping for probably 22yrs give or take. This was the first issue Ive had since starting again and the treatment seemed to work well. I did put in a little aquarium salt also.

Im sure discusluv is far more knowledgeable on fish disease and issues then I ever was so please get his insight before shopping. I know it worked for me however could be a different issue/infection.

I also used it when the female koi betta kicked his butt, he was down to about half inch fins and had a hard time swimming before I could separate them. I treated him as a precautionary measure and he did fine and has since started regrowing his fins and looks much much better.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Quint Thank you for the advise! Poke incoming:

@Discusluv Hi. You have been summmmoned!

get out of my house
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am thinking this is coloration, not illness. The fish looks healthy. But, she would show other indications if ill- changes in behavior: not eating, weakness, hiding.
Or, white feces, red worms from vent?

Noticed any of these behavioral changes or issues?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I am thinking this is coloration, not illness. The fish looks healthy. But, she would show other indications if ill- changes in behavior: not eating, weakness, hiding.
Or, white feces, red worms from vent?

Noticed any of these behavioral changes or issues?
@Discusluv I haven't noticed anything like that but I will keep a close eye on her.

She's displaying the usual characteristics of a healthy betta. Wandering around, keeping active. However now another betta has me concerned. He did have fin rot and I did a salt bath for 10 consecutive days. A few days ago he started listing about, sometimes floating a little upward or downward, so I assumed he had swim bladder disease and didn't feed him for two days. However, he's been lethargic and hiding. He isn't a new betta and it's an established tank, so should I forego the Artemiss and Herbtana and just resume the salt baths again? I gave his tank a large water change.

Update: Annnddd now she has cloudy eye. Just in the one eye, possibly from stress (can't see how she could have from injury). The eye itself isn't bulging any way different than usual but the pupil itself is completely clouded over. I did a rather large water change.'

So far I've read epsom salt for popeye and aquarium salt for cloudy eye; still reading, just want to make sure I do the most appropriate action. Is this correct? 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon of aquarium salt with the water change?

If I just did a water change, can I dissolve the salt in a separate container and then add it to the tank?

Update: Did an aquarium salt bath.

Update 04/25/19:
@livebearerlove No change yet. It looks like both her eyeball and pupil are cloudy in the pictures, but in reality only the pupil is.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 04-26-2019 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added update
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby
Great job taking pictures. You can see that something is obviously bothering her- But in most cases, it is not a disease itself but rather a symptom. So in many cases, salt and live food/vitamins go a long way...

Cloudy eye/popping can be caused by so many things, but flucuating pH is what I noticed to often be the cause.
I would ensure your KH is decent, start up some brine shrimp and potentially get a supplement (like Boyd Vitachem).

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
@Ryan Mosby
Great job taking pictures. You can see that something is obviously bothering her- But in most cases, it is not a disease itself but rather a symptom. So in many cases, salt and live food/vitamins go a long way...

Cloudy eye/popping can be caused by so many things, but flucuating pH is what I noticed to often be the cause.
I would ensure your KH is decent, start up some brine shrimp and potentially get a supplement (like Boyd Vitachem).
The debate is still on whether to dose KH to raise pH, it makes my head spin. What I'd like to do is buy two smooth rocks (nothing that will dissolve), an inch or less in diameter, if it would raise my KH enough. Just don't know how much rock raises KH how much, and where to get ones like I described.

Would vitamins be necessary? The bettas get fed frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and crushed pellets (TetraBetta Plus). I'd totally go with some live brine shrimp if my LFS stocked them. It's really too bad they don't live in freshwater or I'd raise them myself.

get out of my house
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
The debate is still on whether to dose KH to raise pH, it makes my head spin. What I'd like to do is buy two smooth rocks (nothing that will dissolve), an inch or less in diameter, if it would raise my KH enough. Just don't know how much rock raises KH how much, and where to get ones like I described.

Would vitamins be necessary? The bettas get fed frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and crushed pellets (TetraBetta Plus). I'd totally go with some live brine shrimp if my LFS stocked them. It's really too bad they don't live in freshwater or I'd raise them myself.
Tanks are sometimes trial and error. Everyones Mileage varies.
Personally I would use crushed coral or stones as it will gradually raise your kH a bit. Once either of them added, it takes DAYS to positive effect the water column. I would look at what is happening to your fish as evidence... So not only have you confirmed your fluctuating pH, but potentially your fish is feeling it.

• Crushed coral in filter (in a media bag)- benefit is you dont take up space in your tank, you can add or subtract as necessary
  • Stones like Dolomite, Shale or Limestone are a calcareous rock made up mostly of calcium, magnesium and carbonate. Neither are really 'smooth' due to the elements they have.You could always push them just under the substrate so they are hidden.
  • KH booster can be added to the tank, and added to the water changes, very easy to control, just make sure its gradual

I do have the stones that will help you if you like... they are actually relatively smooth as I can power sand all the edges. I use the very same stone in my Minnesota Tank. Ill mail them over free of charge if you PM me your address

I raise my own brine shrimp and Daphnia (water fleas are freshwater). But that is a pretty good diet... you might also try some sprulina pellets (usually for shrimp, etc) because they are plant based, there are often more micro nutrients.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
What is your ph and kh right now? You may not need to mess with either since bettas commonly come from black water areas with low ph.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

KH is 0 and pH fluctuates between 6.2 and 6.8. I've treated the betta with Paraguard for three days but no change; the eye hasn't gotten any better or worse yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
I do have the stones that will help you if you like... they are actually relatively smooth as I can power sand all the edges. I use the very same stone in my Minnesota Tank.
@livebearerlove I'd definitely pay, I couldn't take anything for free. Do you have pictures of them? And any idea how many would be needed for tank of 3.7 gallons? If it would end up taking too much space in a 3.7g, I'll go ahead and buy some crushed coral and stick some in a piece of nylon.

Update 05/05/19: It's day #9 of adding Paraguard daily to her tank; her eye is still cloudy. Anyone know how long it usually takes to get better?

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 05-06-2019 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added update
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been nearly 2 weeks and the Paraguard hasn't made her cloudy eye better (though it hasn't gotten worse). I don't believe this was a physical injury since it looks like the pupil is affected rather than the cornea. Maybe a bacterial infection? If so, considering switching from Paraguard to Kanaplex.

Update 05/13/19 - I switched to Kanaplex about 4 days ago and have been dosing daily. She still has cloudy eye but it's not as bright/noticeable as it was before, so I'm hoping that means it's healing.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 05-13-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: update

Tags
fin rot betta, red fins, ventral fins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode