Breeding size for Panda Cory - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Breeding size for Panda Cory

Can anyone tell me what size panda cories need to be in order to breed? I think mine are a ways off, the largest is right at 1".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone know what size pandas can spawn at?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mine spawned around 1.25-1.5", but it was a very small spawn.
frogmanjared likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Mine spawned around 1.25-1.5", but it was a very small spawn.
Thank you. Was that the size of the males and females or just female? I want to be prepared and have an infusoria culture going in time, hopefully.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
Thank you. Was that the size of the males and females or just female? I want to be prepared and have an infusoria culture going in time, hopefully.
I wasn't attempting to spawn them so I'm not really sure which ones out of the group were spawning, but they were all of similar size that young.

If you spot eggs, you'll have a few days between then and when they are free swimming.
frogmanjared likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just noticed the first set of eggs from my false juliis last night. They are about 1.5" females, males are smaller. Figure they are a similar size to Pandas. Lately have been noticing the behavior, freaked me out at first because thought one of the males was dying since he was on his side shaking. Then noticed the female under a leaf next to him. Now seems like every time I feed and they are done eating there is always atleast one female getting chased around. Pretty sure Ive got 2 males and 4 females but not 100%.

So far have scene about 3 or 4 eggs on the heater suction cup but not setup to raise them so just going to let them be.
frogmanjared likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've got a tank setup to breed panda's at this moment. I think I'm up to about 9 babies so fary. But you'll notice the female definitely has a much larger size than the males do. I'll say somewhere in the 1-2" range, but it's also how old too, as supposedly they need to be 1 year or older before breeding for most cories.
frogmanjared likes this.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also watch for females to look gravid. They will get really, noticeably fatter in the weeks leading to the first spawn. If you want to try and encourage them, do a really big water change with a couple degrees cooler water. Every cory I ever kept thought a big water change was an aphrodisiac.
frogmanjared likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 AM
Planted Member

Funny because I have one male who is a spaz (the one always swimming all over the aquarium at various levels) but he does the whole "try every woman in the room eventually one will say yes". He will go to one female and go crazy and if she ignores him he runs off to the other and does the same following wagging thing. Kind of funny to watch. Apparently he got lucky finally or the other one stepped in at the right time lol.
frogmanjared likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
Also watch for females to look gravid. They will get really, noticeably fatter in the weeks leading to the first spawn. If you want to try and encourage them, do a really big water change with a couple degrees cooler water. Every cory I ever kept thought a big water change was an aphrodisiac.
I've noticed a few look much more fat than the others, but I'm not sure they're old enough to spawn. I'm going to be using water a few degrees cooler when I do water changes in the hopes that they're getting fat with eggs and not just being pigs.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

I would keep an eye on there behavior, it changes when laying eggs. Has happened every time in my tank inbetween water changes.

2 days ago saw one of the females running around all over and looked like another female chasing her (probably eating the eggs lol) the one running around had the males sperm in her anal? fins. They were clasped together with white stuff in there. First time I have scene that.

So far I have only scene a total of about 8 eggs, they either disappear within a day or so or hang out and they hatch but Im sure get eaten. Some of the hatching eggs I can see the little cap sticking up. May try and throw a couple in a breeder box. The tank is planted but I dont think its planted well enough to fully hide until big enough.

Oh and I match water change temp, doesnt seem to deter them any but couldnt hurt.
chayos00 likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

The clasping of the fins on the underside is a clutch of eggs they are looking for spots to hide.

Watch this guys videos about breeding cories and that should help to see.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Quint likes this.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:25 AM
Planted Member

Gotcha, I had read a little about it but not much. Think she only had a few so it didnt look like a bundle of eggs.
chayos00 likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
The clasping of the fins on the underside is a clutch of eggs they are looking for spots to hide.

Watch this guys videos about breeding cories and that should help to see.

https://youtu.be/Wg3JNA2T3eA

I love Marks' Aquatics videos! Watched a ton of his breeding projects.
chayos00 likes this.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
I love Marks' Aquatics videos! Watched a ton of his breeding projects.
Yeah I did too when I first found his channel! Got me motivated to give my cories a proper sand substrate in the breeding tank I've go them in.

frogmanjared likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode