Angelfish and Dwarf Cichlids? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angelfish and Dwarf Cichlids?

I'm wondering if 3 dwarf cichlids (probably German Rams) would be alright in a 90 gallon aquarium with 7 sub-adult angelfish. I will be pulling angelfish out of the tank as they start pairing off over the next 3-4 months so there will not be 7 in the tank for very long. Is this an acceptable ratio in the short term or will the dwarf cichlids feel outnumbered?

The tank does have lots of plants, large pieces of spiderwood and hiding spots.

.`.`..`.><(((>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds fine to me as the two fish are both quite different, even though both are cichlids. The angels will be very likely to like to find a place to "hover or move around somewhat off the bottom much of the time and the rams are likely to prefer lower and if there is some type of cover, like rocks, wood or heavy plant leaves, they are very prone to setting up shop in/under something.
I don't find either type to actually prefer conflict, so setting a few items up to allow each to have their preferred spots will help. Young of either are less likely to be trouble of any sort but then there are always mavorics in most species!
No guarantees, of course, but a quick cover by putting something like a flower pot in will make the rams feel better---if it does turn out they need it.
reddhawkk and Discusluv like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Rich, I'll give it a try with some extra cover from plant pots/cichlid caves.

.`.`..`.><(((>

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like to watch my fish!
And that watching is a good time to just set there and wonder about some of the "weird" looking stuff my fish do as it does help to understand what might be done to avoid trouble. Young fish are often agreeable to getting along quite well but they do change much as humans do as we mature. Fish go through different stages much as we do and that lets me do things much slower and without stressing as much over things that don't happen NOW but may happen later. When I first put a pair of clown loaches in a 30 gallon tank, I was told it was impossible as they get too big but here I am several years later and the pair have worked it out very nicely. Given a chance, fish may work it out without us having to do anything but that kind of assumes the particular fish turn out to be nice folks and not some radical that grows up wanting to hurt somebody!
But if we do the watching and get to know each fish, just as we should with people, we can see which are growing to be trouble in plenty of time to take action before anybody gets hurt very bad. That is where knowing our fish can help us do the small things that avoid trouble. If we see one that seems to want to be left alone without other fish in his face, I give him an area that fits what he wants and let him go off and sulk all he wants!
But I don't need to do any of that right away as I can see it gradually develop if I'm watching.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode