Apistogramma fry on the way... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Apistogramma fry on the way...

So apparently, my water is doing it for my fish. Along with some 3 week old angel fry, my Apistogramma Cacatouides decided to surprise me last night with eggs. Wasn’t sure if they were any good as they are young fish, but I finally got a good look tonight with a flashlight (she found a very tight spot inbetween the lava rocks), and 90% of the eggs are bright pink. I am assuming this means they are good to go. There are a few white infertile eggs (similar to my angels), but otherwise lots of pink eggs!

I had two questions I was hoping to get answers for....

1st. I have dithers in the tank with them - a group of ~10 endlers livebearers. Should I be removing them before the fry become free swimming? I’ve always read that apistos appreciate dithers, but my assumption is that the endlers may prey on the fry until they are too big for their mouths, but still not sure.

2nd. Food? I have BBS going constantly due to the angel fry, and I also have microworms as well. Are Apisto fry able to take BBS right away?

Hopefully this spawn is successful. It’s literally their first - I got them while they were still juveniles. I am somewhat in awe that they already have a spawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

I have no help to offer but I am super happy to hear this! I have loved reading your baby angel thread.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by celadon View Post
I have no help to offer but I am super happy to hear this! I have loved reading your baby angel thread.
Hopefully it’s proved helpful to people. I actually moved the last of them (aside from my grow outs) earlier this week. Weird to not have a whole bunch of little angels greet me when I walk in the fish room, but the new batch of fry are growing quickly to fill that void! The Apistogrammas having a viable spawn is just amazing to me. So weird to see bright pink eggs. Was really doubting up to this point that I had a female, but lo and behold, she proved me wrong.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've had apistos raise up fry in a tank that also had pencil fish. I wouldn't worry about trying to remove the endlers. I'll start feeding BBS to the apisto fry once the mom brings them out and about in the tank. She'll typically keep them well hidden for the first few days and she'll usually be pretty aggressive towards all other fish in the tank during this time.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode