• 1 Post By Ravynn
  • 1 Post By mbkemp
  • 1 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Apistos, Rams or Kribs for 40 Breeder?

I can't make up my mind on what dwarf cichlid I want to stock in my 40 breeder. I've been looking at Apistogramma Cacatuoides, Bolivian Rams or Kribensis/Albino Kribensis (Pelvachromis Pulcher). My PH is 7.4, GH is 4.5, and KH is 2.2.

I was originally going to stock it as a community setup but I do want to make cichlids as the focus. What in your opinion would be the most interesting cichlid for a living room display tank?

(Also want to note I keep going back to really liking the Kribs but I have no idea what tankmates since they can be aggressive when breeding; which is the only thing putting me off from them)
mbkemp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Pretty much all cichlids are aggressive when breeding. I would go with the apistos, but I like them better
johnson18 and Nlewis like this.

RAOK Club #55
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have kept blue/gold and Bolivian rams, now I am switching over to apisto cacatuoides. I like the apisto better, but kribs are also beautiful. As stated above, cichlids, even the peaceful ones, won't be the nicest things during breeding and nesting, so I'd say pick whichever one you think looks the best. For me it would be between apistos and kribs.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Iíd go with the Apistos, but currently all (6 ~150g total) of my tanks have combos of different wild type Apistos and pencilfish. Iíve kept blue rams, & kribs too, not sure Iíll be back any time soon.

Having said that, go with what you like best, or is the best looking. My blackwater ada 90p has an Apisto species that nobody keeps & most people wonít because itís just brown most of the time. When the males are sparring for a female they are a rainbow of color. I love it, most people donít & I could care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
Pretty much all cichlids are aggressive when breeding. I would go with the apistos, but I like them better
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I have kept blue/gold and Bolivian rams, now I am switching over to apisto cacatuoides. I like the apisto better, but kribs are also beautiful. As stated above, cichlids, even the peaceful ones, won't be the nicest things during breeding and nesting, so I'd say pick whichever one you think looks the best. For me it would be between apistos and kribs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Iíd go with the Apistos, but currently all (6 ~150g total) of my tanks have combos of different wild type Apistos and pencilfish. Iíve kept blue rams, & kribs too, not sure Iíll be back any time soon.

Having said that, go with what you like best, or is the best looking. My blackwater ada 90p has an Apisto species that nobody keeps & most people wonít because itís just brown most of the time. When the males are sparring for a female they are a rainbow of color. I love it, most people donít & I could care less.
I don't mind aggression while breeding; I just don't want other tank mates to be terrorized/torn up over it. I wanted to have the possibility of other bottom dwellers like a small group of corys. Would any of these cichlids beat them up?

When it comes down to it, i'm thinking Bolivian because they seem a little more easy going with other bottom dwellers but I really do love the looks of the Kribs...

It seems like you guys really love the Apistos, maybe i'll watch some more videos of them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Try one of the checkerboard cichlids. They are small and are actually my all time favorite. Even when they do get aggressive they are still small!

RAOK Club #55
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
I don't mind aggression while breeding; I just don't want other tank mates to be terrorized/torn up over it. I wanted to have the possibility of other bottom dwellers like a small group of corys. Would any of these cichlids beat them up?

When it comes down to it, i'm thinking Bolivian because they seem a little more easy going with other bottom dwellers but I really do love the looks of the Kribs...

It seems like you guys really love the Apistos, maybe i'll watch some more videos of them.

My rams and my apistogramma are all peaceful with other tank mates, even other bottom dwellers, unless they get too close to eggs. Then they just chase them off. Corydoras being the least able to learn lol.

During feeding some pecking might happen but itís nothing damaging. However the cichlids do love to chase each other from time to time.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So i've been thinking and I really want to get the kribensis... Any tank mate recommendations?
mbkemp likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Which kribensis are you looking at? I have moliwe and silviae. They will both own their space when breeding. Very pretty fish that punch way out of their weight class.

A tetra or small barb that stays higher in the water will be ok as a dither.

Ravynn likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Which kribensis are you looking at? I have moliwe and silviae. They will both own their space when breeding. Very pretty fish that punch way out of their weight class.

A tetra or small barb that stays higher in the water will be ok as a dither.

I'm pretty sure just regular pulcher is at my LPS. I would ask about other kinds but i'm afraid i'm not sure how to pronounce those
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
http://aquaticclarity.com/index.php/in-stock-fish/

A good source for Apistogramma and Kribs. Jeff has some really good fish stock. FYI, Caca’s have a life expectancy of about 2 years where a lot of the other sub species will live much longer.
varanidguy likes this.

Just a noob

Last edited by Nlewis; 04-15-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Edit
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Regular ole pulcher are pretty cool too

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode