• 2 Post By shanmoon
  • 2 Post By JJBTEXAS
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Baby Panda Corys! What do I do now???

I have a planted tank with 9 Panda Corydoras I purchased as juveniles last year that are now adults (and am lucky that one grew up to be of the long finned variety).

I had a bit of a pond snail explosion and have been paying extra close attention to the tank, trying to remove the pond snails (we are talking a serious issue, I have been removing 150+ by hand per day for weeks).

In the midst of snail picking, I saw something tiny flash across the bottom of the tank. I peered all around the edges of the tank with a flashlight and saw a weird little tan snake-like thing, maybe 6mm long. I suddenly realized OMG I have baby pandas!!! Carefully watching the tank for the next few days I saw at least 4 baby pandas, the smallest looking to be 7mm long and probably no more than a week or two old, looking more like a tiny little tan snake than a fish. However, one baby is substantially larger than the others and looks like a miniature cory, and just started hanging around in the open a little today (pictures below of him near one of the adults).

My concern is how do I keep these babies safe? I had added assassin snails to take out the pond snails and now I am worried about the baby pandas. I was going to try feeding less for a while but again, I don't want to put the babies at risk. I am amazed the cories spawned given I have pretty hard water and high pH. I had no intention of breeding, but am delighted about it, and really want to take proper care of these little guys.

Name:  babycory.gif
Views: 181
Size:  124.5 KB

Sorry, I couldn't get a photo of the tiny 6-7mm babies, but they are hiding in the dark where they are hard to see and I didn't want to stress them out with flashlights trying to photograph them.
lisals and Mike A. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've had my Panda cory spawn in hard, basic water before. If they've made it this far I wouldn't change too much. Maybe just try to feed some more appropriate foods.
lisals and Mike A. like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Planted Member

Thats really cool congrats.

As for the snails maybe a couple assassin snails

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually have had 10 assassins in the tank for over a month and they are not diminishing the population. Thinking about adding 10 more.... I just worry that they will hurt the baby cories.

Bump: I feed Wardley sinking shrimp pellets for bottom feeders and hikari sinking wafers for bottom feeders. Should I be adding some kind of fry food or "first bites" type food?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Congrats! Like said above I wouldn't change much. They're at a size now that they've proven they're finding food. The Wardley stuff gets pretty soft and breaks up easily in the tank. You could get some frozen baby brine shrimp as a snack. If there's other fish in there that get flake food, they're eating that too. Plus all the microscopic goodness in there we can't see. But for the most part stay the course and more babies are sure to come

If you do decide to try frozen or a first bites type food just know it likes to float. You'll want to soak it til it sinks and use a tube to direct it into that feeding dish. It's easy to overfeed otherwise and overfeeding will just help your snail population

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I am just a nervous baby fish, parent, lol. I did manage to get this photo of one of the smaller (but not the smallest) cory tonight. I'm hoping at least one of the babies will be of the long fin variety. One of the ones I purchased last year surprised me by having long elegant fins several times the size of the others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroCory.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	879939
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:22 AM
Planted Member

Well to put your mind a little at ease take a look at the last page of this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-heavy-24.html

Your babies have managed to get that big from the size in the above thread.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh my! I watched my tank very closely for a couple of hours, and I have way more baby corys than I thought. I saw no less than 8 babies out all at once....I have at least 4 of the small ones that look like tiny minature corys, and a similar number of little guys that look more like little tan snakes with big heads (half the size of the bigger babies). My 45 gallon tank is definitely going to be overloaded. I run an FX 4 on it and do twice weekly water changes, but 9 big cories and 8 babies, combined with 9 Celestial Pearl Danios (the danios also spawned and went fromn 5 to 9), and a handful of dwarf shrimp (that also spawned and increased in population) is a lot of bio load. I've decided to move the Danios out to a new tank.

I've got a new 75 gallon tank and FX 6. I'm going to get it set up with a ncie sand bottom and some tissue culture plants to start a nice foreground carpet. Once that tank is established, I will think about moving the corys over in a few months, once I feel like the babies are safe to try to move.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congrats on the baby cories. Surprises like this keep things interesting. And baby cories are just so cute!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Still continuing to spawn. I set up a 75 gallon tank with the intent of moving baby corys over to it. Baby cory count still increasing.... Some have been moved to the new tank, but I have at least a dozen more little fellows. I plan to move them at a rate of 3 or 4 a week til all 20+ corys are moved, and dedicate the old 45 gallon to shrimp.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank-75.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	881725  

Last edited by shanmoon; 05-14-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding photos
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

right on! I remember how stressed i was when I discovered baby cory pandas. I started watching the tank like a hawk and collecting the eggs in a mesh basket. they were safe there because the pandas will eat the eggs. i watched them hatch in the mesh basket and fed them until they were a viable size.... which was actually quite a long time....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

This is so awesome! You've got a whole colony going

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 AM
Planted Member

Totally stoaked right now. Was feeding my fish tonight and noticed what I originally thought was a CPD except it was scooting across the sand. Then realized its a baby false julii (or assume as much). It looked like a little 1/4" pepper cory to be honest. No pics as he went and hid as soon as the guy got some food I assume. Little guy was out with the adults when the food hit the bottom lol.
shanmoon likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode