2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Limpet
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Fish suggestions for light sand

I’ve been having a hard time coming up with a small shoaling fish that will color up nicely on white sand. Any suggestions? I wanted ember tetras, but have read they like darker substrates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When it comes to schooling/schoaling fish, I find background color ( darker colors pop colors), proper group levels, proper lighting for type is much more important than substrate color. This is assuming the fish primarily swim anywhere in -between the mid- to top level of the aquarium.

There are a handful of shoalers popular to aquaria that will shoal, hover in a group above substrate in the 3/4 quadrant ( bottom) of the aquarium naturally. But, they are few. Most of the time when you see this behavior in the majority of shoalers it is because their environment is causing stress.

What size is your aquarium?
What other fish do you have and how many in tank?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

29 gallon, I currently have 8 zebra danios, a honey gourami, and a Bristlenose place. Soon to be adding 6 Corydoras sterbai. I'm planning ahead for when the danios get older and are gone. I'm crazy like that, planning and tryin to make sure it will look good. I'm just worried about the substrate being so bright it will fade the color away from the fish. The back of the tank is painted black and I plan to have tall background once they grow in. I know the fish won't shoal, just looking for a fish like like to stay nearby each other most of the time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green neons?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trigonostigma espei.
frogmanjared likes this.

Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think some smaller colorful barb species would go excellent in this tank.
What is your TDS or PH? If PH is neutral or lower the following:

Barbus hulstaerti- African Butterfly Barb (add 8-12)

Barbus fasciolatus- African banded barb ( 8)

Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus Snakeskin Barb (12).

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those are all cool looking fish! Honestly this is probably way off in the future now. I have a breeding project in mind between 2 species in my tank, depending on how old the Corydoras are when they arrive.

Honestly, I know I'll get flak for it, but I've never tested my water. I've never tried to keep sensitive fish because of that reason. Tap is 7.5-7.8 according to the city. Hard water 9-10 yearly average. Total solids ranges from 240-280 per year, but I have no clue about TDS.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

I dont have much to suggest for fish, will add I changed from a tan gravel to essentially PFS which was pretty white (atleast when I first put it in). My false julie cats and my neon tetras still look just as good and are behaving normally if you will.

Personally I think anything with reds/blues/dark greens really show up against the white background without being blacked out if you will like a dark black/brown color. I am still working on the planting of mine however the algae is making it a duller white right now to make up for it I guess.
frogmanjared likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

I had panda and bandit cories on black blasting sand, and the pandas especially were super dark. Their markings were barely visible. Then I switched to a very bright pfs (AquaQuartz), and they got very pale right away. But now (a month and a bit later), they've settled to nice 'natural' colour, if there is such a thing in a tank. I've very happy with it. Fish are too.
I also have a pair of Apisto borellii in the tank, and their colour is just as good as when I had the black sand.
The 'sterile' appearance of of lighter sand can also be mitigated with some gravel (pic below from the tank I'm talking about). I think the cories really appreciate it, since food particles tend to settle in the lee (downstream side) of even the tiniest pebbles. Makes for excellent foraging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	880355  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode