Corydoras sterbai - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Update: I’m quite angry and depressed. 2 DOA, they put them in the tank and 2 seem to be dying. 2 were upright and near each other... this is more than 4 hours after acclimating and adding them to the tank. Seriously considering cancelling my order and trying somewhere online. Has anyone used trins fish?

All dead. brought them in this morning and they had over a dozen healthy panda cories, I got 7 and they're doing great at home.

I’ve been looking into what cory I want to get, and am in love with them. I have a 29 gallon, would 6 be a good group size? I haven’t checked if I can special order through petco (closest local option). If I can’t, where’s a good place online? Thanks for the help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 04-13-2019 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
Iíve been looking into what cory I want to get, and am in love with them. I have a 29 gallon, would 6 be a good group size? I havenít checked if I can special order through petco (closest local option). If I canít, whereís a good place online? Thanks for the help!
For corydoras, 6 would be the minimum, the more you can put together the happier they are.

Not sure how close this vendor is to you, but I have ordered from him ( Jeff Michael's) several times. Excellent stock and service. Business is located in Richfield, WI- but also ships.

He has the Sterbei in stock, as well.

https://aquaticclarity.com/index.php...quaticclarity/

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium arts is who I've used, and I just got a herd of pygmy salt and pepper Cory's any I love them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I might have to check around other LFS even if I have to drive a bit, shipping puts them out of my price range. Thanks for the suggestions!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A few sellers on Aquabid have them with reasonable shipping costs. Also, unless you are seeking wild caught ones, I'd go with tank bred. They tend to be hardier and cost 5-8 bucks instead of 20-25...

But if you have a few LFS around they shouldn't be hard to order through them

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
My local PetSmart has them at ~$10/ea.

I almost never see mine mid-water while my Pandas and Julii are almost constantly all over the place. Does anyone have a different experience?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
My local PetSmart has them at ~$10/ea.

I almost never see mine mid-water while my Pandas and Julii are almost constantly all over the place. Does anyone have a different experience?
Hmmm... My Sterbei and Julli are kind of all over in a couple of different tanks. My Pandas I rarely if at all see off of the bottom. But they're in a completely different tank from the others. Long and low with lots of flow, mostly rocky on the bottom with not much up higher in the tank. The others in tanks with more vertical wood, plants, etc., that they'll come up and explore and graze.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Went to petco and ordered some! Still not sure if I have to call and see when they'll come in, or if they'll message me when they've arrived. The place was packed, I'm glad they were able to help me out.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 04-01-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unhappy

Sad to say that 1 of the six was DOA, and one was in visible shock in their tank. I have 4, they are still what I would call in shock. I'm not sure if I should do a PWC in case of Corydoras toxin, I'm sure at this point it can't hurt.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Planted Member

Those sterbie are nice looking critters. I am not sure what to do but let them adjust. I will say that when I had 2 then 4 false juliis that they would kind of pair up some but wasnt until I got a full 6 that all of a sudden they would do group outings together. Not always in a group but they seem more comfy and will group after water changes and run around checking out everything that got stirred up.

Pretty sure after the shock of going into the store tank and then shortly after into your tank they could use a break. Do a water change in a day or two (unless something is way out). Thats just me though, more experienced people will chime in Im sure.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Three are dead. The living one, still seems stressed, I'm assuming it will be dead in the morning. I want to try getting them, then again if the staff can't keep them in the bag until I pick them up like requested, I don't want more fish to end up dead. I'm bringing in the dead when they open, possibly checking to see if I can just get more false Julii and make a group of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode