Kuhli's 90F Temp QT - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kuhli's 90F Temp QT

Got 13 kuhlis in qt, first time doing the heat treatment. Turned temp up from 80-84 for 2 days, now temp shot up to 90 within an hour. It's a 200W heater in a 5G tank so it's really hard to calibrate it. I want to preventative treat for ich, was wondering if they'd be fine for 10 days in 90F water, or should I shorten the high temps, or lower it overall.
Edit: I noticed something in the water column swimming, looks like a bunch of newly hatched artemia brine shrimp in panic. Surely, it's not a brine shrimp, what else could it be? @Discusluv

Last edited by Igor95; 03-20-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I realize that your hoping to prevent an Ich outbreak in your tank ( and that thinking is very good) , but the 90 degrees temperature is going to do more harm than good. Stressing the fish unnecessarily. Stress of fish is what we dont want- it opens the fish up to many other diseases besides Ich- primarily bacterial infections.
I would turn down the heat to 80 degrees and if Ich parasite is present it will show itself within 3 days at this temperature. The parasites life-cycle is very rapid, completing the entire cycle within 5-7 days ( again, at this temperature).

The best thing you can do while fish in quarantine is to keep water very,very clean, feed high quality foods, and watch.

I am sure that what you are seeing in water column is harmless. The harmful worms/nematodes etc... are primarily not visible to naked eye. Might be planaria, which feeds on excess uneaten food and occurs in tanks that are not routinely maintained: water changes, filter cleanings, substrate vacuuming.

Internal worms like flatworms will usually fall from the fish onto the gravel, and can be seen, but do not float around in mass in water column. External worms, like thorny headed worms or anchor worms will be attached to the fish.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Last edited by Discusluv; 03-20-2019 at 09:05 PM. Reason: more info
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok. Thankfully I've never had ich, and I QT for 3 months. Will the ich still show without 3 months if the fish aren't stressed? I know you said within 3 days, but I've had them in QT for 3 weeks now, and I see a few white spots, but not sure what it is since they're too skinny to really tell. I'll turn the temp down tomorrow I guess. Also, the stuff that's swimming is definitely not planaria. It's about 1mm long and moves like a newly hatched brine shrimp. Thanks @Discusluv

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not Ich unless you accidentally cross-contaminated with another tank.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode