• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By n25philly
  • 1 Post By Sandnukka15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
40 breeder stocking

I've never had a tank as big as 40 gallons (36x18x16) and I was wondering if you guys this my stocking is appropriate for this tank size. Please share any thoughts!

1x BN pleco
1x Bolivian Ram
10x Bronze Cory
10x Neon Dwarf/Praecox Rainbows (what m/f ratio should I have?)
Possibly 8x Harlequin Rasboras as the last fish to add, not sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This stocking should be fine.
The only issue is that Bolivian rams like to be with their own kind- dont really do well solo. I would get a pair. Or, if didn't want breeding activity in tank, than scratch the Bolivian Ram.

Unsure of ratio of M/F with rainbows, Ive never kept them. But, many do on this forum so I'm sure they will chime in.
Ravynn likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
This stocking should be fine.
The only issue is that Bolivian rams like to be with their own kind- dont really do well solo. I would get a pair. Or, if didn't want breeding activity in tank, than scratch the Bolivian Ram.

Unsure of ratio of M/F with rainbows, Ive never kept them. But, many do on this forum so I'm sure they will chime in.
Great!

Is there a different type of fish I could stock in place of the ram? I originally thought of a dwarf cichlid just to have that fish that will come up to the glass like a puppy when you walk by.

I'm not sure if breeding activity would be an issue with cories or if a 40 breeder would be enough space? If it would be okay then I have no problem getting a pair.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
Great!

Is there a different type of fish I could stock in place of the ram? I originally thought of a dwarf cichlid just to have that fish that will come up to the glass like a puppy when you walk by.

I'm not sure if breeding activity would be an issue with cories or if a 40 breeder would be enough space? If it would be okay then I have no problem getting a pair.

How about an apistogramma?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The corydoras should be fine with a Ram pair in this tank. Just make sure to have areas where the Rams can defend their territory. A rock, wood, etc... and provide some open space for the corydoras. They will prefer to graze in open areas ( my Bronze corydoras do) and the Rams will stay mostly around defensive marker in aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ravynn likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
Great!

40 gal is plenty of space. The only issues with cory cats and dwarf cichlids is that the cories aren't very smart and don't get territories. They will go into the rams territory, get chased out, and then they will go right back. From my experience it's more of an issue if you really want to breed the rams. I kept them together before and the cories were much better at eating the rams eggs than the rams were at bugging the cories. In general the rams actually left them completely alone when not breeding and that was in a 29 gallon.

As far as fish that come up to the glass like puppy dogs, just get pretty much any non schooling/shoaling fish and feed them well. As soon as they get that you are that source of food they will do that. I have dwarf chichlids, honey gourami, and even live bearers that all act that way.
Ravynn likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Algae Grower

Add the schools slowly after the tanks cycled. I would wait last and add the rams after 6 months at least. They prefer matured tanks
Ravynn likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What about livebearers/how many could I have in place of Harlequins? My PH is 7.6 after offgasing for 24hrs (it's 6.6 straight out of tap) but not sure of GH although I think my KH is 2. I really like the look of platies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode