Stocking 5 Gallon Walstad - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shaas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking 5 Gallon Walstad

Hello greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations.

I am new to this forum, but am starting to get the handle of it. I currently have a 5 gallon low tech medium planted tank with a 25 W heater and Tetra Whisper for airflow and water movement. I initially stocked it with 4 harlequin rasboras, 1 pygmy cory, 1 otocinclus, and 2 CRS' (which has now turned to around 10 in about a week). I also have a walstad bowlk as well with a betta, which I am looking to possibly give to a local pet shop.

The reason I am posting is because with getting rid of my betta, I will most likely move most of my shrimp into the bowl and would like to make an addition to my 5 gallon. I am looking to add sparkling sparkling gourami (#?) but do not know if that may be over stocking the tank. Also would be open to other fish that may fit the current set up.

Also, if anyone has ideas for the bowl I would be interested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:11 PM
Planted Member

I think most people are going to tell you that you're already overstocked, though opinions will differ. The recommendation for Otos alone are for them to be in groups of 6 (or at least 2), and in a minimum of a 10 gallon tank. Harlequin Rasboras recommend 8-10 at a minimum, in a 10 gallon tank, and so does the pygmy cory, though I read that it might shoal with other species happily.

I hope this isn't harsh, I know I was super surprised when I read how little was recommended for a 5 gallon tank! Remember that tank requirements are based on both bio-load and behavior needs. For an overloaded tank, you can get a bigger filter (or plant more plants), but there is no fixing a tank that is just plain too small for the fish to swim happily... That said, if your little guys are all settled in at this point, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to leave them be and be careful with keeping their water parameters healthy. I wouldn't consider the shrimp as part of your bio-load, or to be taking up much space. In fact, your tank is probably better off with them in there! If they continue to reproduce though, you could fill your bowl with shrimp and maybe a mystery or nerite snail, and a bunch of plants.

If you do decide to upgrade to even a 10 gallon, you'd find you could probably add a few more rasboras, and maybe a couple of the others as well -- and their behavior would likely become much more energetic & interesting. I have guppies in 5 & 10 gallon tanks, and in a 29 gallon. I feel terrible for the little guys in the 5 gallon now. They just....sit, motionless, for much of the day. They're much more energetic in the 10 gallon, and the ones in the 29 seem to positively dance, all day long!

For more viewpoints, I would read threads in the "nano tanks" forum, and take note of stocking levels. I think the Spec V thread is probably a good one to read, too! Good luck, and welcome (from another newbie)!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...07_164352c.jpg

@Cinnamonamon Doesn't look too bad, but I'm not a fish and I'm getting the hang of it. Would the general consensus be re-size?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
If anything, I would add 4 - 6 more pygmy cories as they are a lot more happy and are more interesting to watch in larger groups. Cories hang around the bottom and harlequins closer to the top.

Sparkling gouramies do not do well in groups in small tanks, I would add at most one, if any.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaas View Post
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...07_164352c.jpg

@Cinnamonamon Doesn't look too bad, but I'm not a fish and I'm getting the hang of it. Would the general consensus be re-size?
I like it! Just so you know though -- from what I've read that quantity of plants probably isn't going to give you the filtration you need. It might, but a single fish death could be much more harmful to the tank than it would be, otherwise. That said, you have about the same amount of plants that I do, in my 5 gallon betta tank...plants are EXPENSIVE when you're just starting out!

I would recommend switching to a 10 gallon -- the footprint is barely larger (length & depth-wise) so it will probably fit in the same spot, and you can usually pick up tank kits in that size range for a very reasonable price! From OVT's post, it sounds like the corys and the harlequins are a good combination -- fish for the top and the bottom of the tank!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

@Cinnamonamon appreciate the advice!
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Tags
low tech, sparkling gourami, stocking help, walstad bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode