Wild Altums - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
My wife, who is supportive of my hobby but not passionate about aquariums like I am, even manages to find browsing the wet spot interesting.

I'm on a first name basis with many of the retail staff now if that tells you anything.

Great looking angel fish!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM
KJE
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
After wanting these for a very long time, picked up a small group of wild Altum Angels from Wetspot.
All came healthy and vibrant.

The fins are a little bit beat up ( typical of wild imports), but no worries... some daily water changes, Vitamins, good food- will be as good as new.

Still acclimating.
Look at this beauty:

you get fry and we might need to do some trading
mbkemp and Discusluv like this.
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJE View Post
you get fry and we might need to do some trading
LOl! You bet, my friend. How are you?

By the way, my Bristle-nose are all getting fat and sassy.
KJE likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
We could do a group field trip ...
Discusluv likes this.
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
We could do a group field trip ...
This would be fun! It looks like @Kubla, @Ken Keating1 and I are all close together. We could do the trip to Aquaworks and coffee visit afterwords sometime.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
This would be fun! It looks like @Kubla, @Ken Keating1 and I are all close together. We could do the trip to Aquaworks and coffee visit afterwords sometime.
I ment a trip to Wet Spot to pick up more Altums for you.
Discusluv likes this.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Talking

If made in advance, Southwest round trip tickets from SFM to Portland are around $200. I'm pretty sure that cost is nothing compared to the exit cost out of the Wet Spot!!
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I ment a trip to Wet Spot to pick up more Altums for you.
Oh-lol1! Well, I think I Aquaworks and coffee sounds more feasible.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
If made in advance, Southwest round trip tickets from SFM to Portland are around $200. I'm pretty sure that cost is nothing compared to the exit cost out of the Wet Spot!!
Oh Boy! It could be bad.
OVT and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful Angels! Please continue to share as they grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KJE and Discusluv like this.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Beautiful Angels! Please continue to share as they grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike! I definitely will be adding pictures as they grow.
mbkemp likes this.

post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
We could have lunch or dinner at Whole foods right across the street prior to. I'm in. But then again it's easy when I live 30 minutes drive away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ken Keating1 and Discusluv like this.
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There was an interesting discussion in a group on FB the other day about how 99% of the angels sold as altums aren't really altums at all. Never did learn from it what the characteristics are that actually separate the true P. altum from wild caught P. scalare that look like P. altum but IMO it doesn't much matter. If it looks like an altum to most people that is good enough.

post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Altums are doing great! They are eating flake, frozen brine-shrimp, and freeze-dried blackworms/with spirulina.

There is a lot of chasing going on with one fish. This one is a bit of a bully, but, so far no stress showing from the others getting chased. Treating proactively with Paraguard for possibility of external parasites and the benefit of the acriflavine which works as antibacterial for the rough looking fins. As of yet, these areas look bacterial/fungal free. But, have also been doing daily 50% water changes and adding Vitachem in food to build immunity.

After this, will de-worm. Need to always assume internal parasites with wild cichlids.

Otherwise- all good.
ChrisX likes this.

post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are they in a QT or is it their long term home? It looks like there are four? I wonder if they would get along better if there were more? Would you consider supplementing with other types of angels, or are you set on wild caught Altums?

post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Are they in a QT or is it their long term home? It looks like there are four? I wonder if they would get along better if there were more? Would you consider supplementing with other types of angels, or are you set on wild caught Altums?
They are in a 60 gallon right now. They will be here for about 6 months and then I will put in my 180 gallon tank. Ideally, yes, more would have been better to disperse aggression, but that is all Wetspot had left. I do not want to mix them with a scalare type because they will cross-breed and dont want that.

Right now this guy is trying to let the others now where their territories are. Discus do it too, although the Angels appear to be more aggressive toward each other than even discus.

What I will be looking for is if the other fish stop eating. If they do, this guy gets a time-out in another tank. Then will be re-introduced after a few days.. This often helps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in