3Likes
  • 2 Post By melty
  • 1 Post By Rnasty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very simple question...

I feel like spearheading this question on this forum will save me a lot of time and research...

I will have a 9 gallon planted tank no CO2 with shrimp and snails involved.

What are my choices for fish and in what QTY?

I've been recommended to stay with the below by (what seemed like) a knowledgeable fish store employee:

Guppys
Tetra (how many of these bad boys can I put in my tank?)
Dannios

I've defaulted to neon tetras but if I can stock my tank with something a little more special (Gourami) I'd like to start thinking about that option...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

I have limited experience, so grain of salt - but a 9 gallon should be suitable for a small group of Sparkling Gourami (4 or 5 max) OR up to 3 Honey Gourami (1 male, 2 females max).

Neon Tetras are pretty active - most recommend 15-20 gallon tanks for them at minimum, because they need extra room to swim.
If you're drawn to Neons for their size and color, I'd recommend looking into microrasbora like Chili Rasbora, Sundadanio Axelrodi, or Kubotai Rasbora as alternatives. They're all vividly colored and can be kept in groups of 6+ in tanks your size with non-aggressive tankmates. My 10 gallon currently has a single female Honey Gourami, a shoal of Chili Rasbora, and a colony of dwarf shrimp, and they all coexist pretty peacefully.
RCB and Julip like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Planted Member

You've got a lot of options!

A Betta
Pea puffer
Group of microrasboras
any kind of shrimp
Guppies
endlers
certain tetras
certain gouramis
scarlet badis
certain killifish

I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of

Quantity depends on the fish. You could do 1 pea puffer, or a nice group of microrasboras 7-11

RAchel O'leary (and another authro I can't remember) have a book out called the 101 best nano fish or something like that. If it's in that book and fits your tank it will work in a low tech tank as she runs low tech in almost all her tanks.
Julip likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post

A Betta
Pea puffer
Group of microrasboras
any kind of shrimp
Guppies
endlers
certain tetras
certain gouramis
scarlet badis
certain killifish
This is why I asked! Seemed my options were rather limited but this is what I was hoping to hear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

Not to be insulting but pea puffers eat shrimp

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_deuce View Post
Not to be insulting but pea puffers eat shrimp

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I didn't mean to imply he keep them together with shrimp, though it is possible.

No insult taken, as they are definitely territorial fish and can absolutely decimate a tank of all the other inhabitants on any given day if they choose to. Though In my personal experience I've gotten many captive pea puffers to live happily in certain types of community tanks by following certain rules. In fact I have two who live happily in a 15g community right now with shimp, otos, and dwarf corys.

They will at times aggress towards shrimp and kill them, but they aren't shrimp hunters. I've found several factors to affect their aggression. First being wild vs captive bread, captive are much more docile than wild puffers. Second is territory, they all need ample space to get away to a private place if needed. Third is keeping them well fed - keeping them well fed drastically lowers their aggression. Fourth is stress, a stressed puffer is gonna kill your tank.

They definitely will kill the odd shrimp or fish from time to time given enough time in the community which is why I don't recommend keeping them with either unless you have experience keeping pea puffers. But a pea puffer in a community tank isn't totally out of the question, I just wouldn't house any special or expensive fish with a puffer you know could become aggressive.

Tags
fish!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode