Moenkhausia sp. 'kogal yellow' 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Which Tetra?

I have rescaped and added plants to my 30 gallon tank; and, as I am interested in rare, wild tetras I want to add a group to this tank. I have 5 different varieties that I am looking at. I thought it would help me to decide between these varieties by posting a poll. I have two that I am leaning towards, but the others are also strong contenders.

Here is the tank:

The tetras considering:
1. Hyphessobrycon wadai
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hyp...QIHc4TBhsQ9QEwAHoECAUQBA#imgrc=yP1E dRBxxrJbSM:

2. Hyphessobrycon cyanotaenia
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hyp...AUICigB&biw=1365&bih=632#imgrc=uZhg CDyAWfe95M:

3. Hyphessobrycon montagi ( Im leaning towards this one- not the most beautiful of the selections- but, the markings are very intriguing to me.)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hyp...0KHZwjBcUQ9QEwAHoECAUQBA#imgrc=_uuo 58N9yahd2M:

4. Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus ( This is my top choice- an African tetra).
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ale...QKHWEXAqEQ9QEwAHoECAQQBA#imgrc=C-iIRK24paSKsM:

5. Moenkhausia sp. 'kogal yellow' ( uber-rare -this one is stunning- would have to get smaller # becuase expensive)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Moe...BAgFEA0&biw=1365&bih=632#imgrc=i1Ie NjcgqRcKUM:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think number two looks the best, but at the same time, they’re all beautiful.
Discusluv and Aqu4R7U8 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Discusluv,

Of the five you have listed, I think #2 (Hyphessobrycon cyanotaenia) is probably the best looking, hopefully does well with other species you are planning on adding.

In February I picked up some juvie Dicrossus maculatus (spadetail checkerboard cichlids) but when I got them they hid all the time, barely even coming out to feed. I wanted to add a 'dither fish' species but they had to be peaceful and not tail nip slower species. I decided on Black Phantom Tetras (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus). They are active, school fairly well, and most importantly peaceful - best of all they have drawn the Discrossus out of hiding.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This will be entirely a species tank. No other occupants but the one variety of tetra. The checkerboard cichlid is one of my favorites- nice fish @Seattle_Aquarist.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them, although #2 is beautiful if they show that well in a tank. Will you be able to see your choice in a LFS or will you be ordering on-line. Being able to see them first would most likely impact your final decision.
Discusluv likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

#2 is my favorite as well. The red is stunning
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them, although #2 is beautiful if they show that well in a tank. Will you be able to see your choice in a LFS or will you be ordering on-line. Being able to see them first would most likely impact your final decision.
I dont buy my fish locally. There are no stores locally who can get me wild fish and wild fish are my preference.Appearance is important, but, it is only one aspect that I will use to make my final decision.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have not kept any of these species specifically and I feel like it is mostly personal choice as to what you like best so I wont' vote. But I can give you some feedback on similar fish.

First of all your number one choice Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus I think is an awesome fish. I love all the African tetras and am rather obsessed with them so normally it would be easy for me to say this is the fish you should go with. But sadly not for a 30 gallon tank. IMO all the various medium to large African tetras really need at least a 4' tank (55-75) if not larger. Short term fine but not long term. I myself currently have a group of African tetras in a 3' long 46 gallon and I feel kind of awful over it. I bought them because I was afraid they wouldn't be available again and I am planning on moving and was going to get a 5' long 100 gallon tank for them. But moving turned out to not go as fast as I had thought. It took me over a year to sell my condo I thought would sell in a few months at most and now that it has finally sold I have not been able to find a house I want. So in the meantime these poor fish have been in a smaller tank way longer than I thought with no end in the immediate future.

Second your selection of various Hyphessobrycon I have not kept. I have however kept Hyphessobrycon amapaensis for about 3 and a half years and they are very similar to the H. montagi on your list. Since all 3 Hyphessobrycon species share body shape I would guess that they are probably pretty similar in behavior and temperament. My opinion on them is that while they are pretty they are not the most exciting fish to watch. They pretty much are just chill. They hang out in a fairly loose shoal in the back of the tank and just sort of hover most of the time mid tank. Not the most exciting thing to watch if you want fish that are active and exploring their environment and interacting with each other. I'm not saying don't get them. But I would probably just pick one Hyphessobrycon species and then pair it with something maybe smaller or more active. Maybe something with a marked sexual dimorphism since these fish tend to me more active in courting and territorial disputes (diamond tetras, black phanton, candy cane tetras for example). Maybe the Moenkhausia sp. will fit the bill. They seem sort of active in videos I watched of them but also a bit similar in body shape to the various Hyphessobrycon.

Here is a pic of my H. amapaensis for comparison to the ones you listed. One good thing to note about them is they are definitely really hardy. I bought a dozen of them three and a half years ago and they are all still alive. Definitely showing their age and for the past year or so they have had a milky covering to some of their scales that I think is just from old age but still healthy (you can see in the photo some of his scales have a cloudy look to them).

white film on Hyphessobrycon amapaensis by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Discusluv, RollaPrime and charuta like this.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I dont buy my fish locally. There are no stores locally who can get me wild fish and wild fish are my preference.Appearance is important, but, it is only one aspect that I will use to make my final decision.
Hi @Discusluv,

If you will be getting wild fish, as I did with the Dicrossus in the post above. It is very, very important to treat them for diseases and parasites. There are some really, really nasty diseases in wild caught species that can wipe out fish in several tanks through cross-contamination. I strongly recommend following the procedure of Aquarium Co-op's Cory (a GSAS member) for treating new fish using Erythromycin, General Cure, and Ick-X. You will find several videos online about how to go about it. I was fortunate, I asked Cory to order the fish in for me and treat them (took about a week) before I picked them up.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I have not kept any of these species specifically and I feel like it is mostly personal choice as to what you like best so I wont' vote. But I can give you some feedback on similar fish.

First of all your number one choice Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus I think is an awesome fish. I love all the African tetras and am rather obsessed with them so normally it would be easy for me to say this is the fish you should go with. But sadly not for a 30 gallon tank. IMO all the various medium to large African tetras really need at least a 4' tank (55-75) if not larger. Short term fine but not long term. I myself currently have a group of African tetras in a 3' long 46 gallon and I feel kind of awful over it. I bought them because I was afraid they wouldn't be available again and I am planning on moving and was going to get a 5' long 100 gallon tank for them. But moving turned out to not go as fast as I had thought. It took me over a year to sell my condo I thought would sell in a few months at most and now that it has finally sold I have not been able to find a house I want. So in the meantime these poor fish have been in a smaller tank way longer than I thought with no end in the immediate future.

Second your selection of various Hyphessobrycon I have not kept. I have however kept Hyphessobrycon amapaensis for about 3 and a half years and they are very similar to the H. montagi on your list. Since all 3 Hyphessobrycon species share body shape I would guess that they are probably pretty similar in behavior and temperament. My opinion on them is that while they are pretty they are not the most exciting fish to watch. They pretty much are just chill. They hang out in a fairly loose shoal in the back of the tank and just sort of hover most of the time mid tank. Not the most exciting thing to watch if you want fish that are active and exploring their environment and interacting with each other. I'm not saying don't get them. But I would probably just pick one Hyphessobrycon species and then pair it with something maybe smaller or more active. Maybe something with a marked sexual dimorphism since these fish tend to me more active in courting and territorial disputes (diamond tetras, black phanton, candy cane tetras for example). Maybe the Moenkhausia sp. will fit the bill. They seem sort of active in videos I watched of them but also a bit similar in body shape to the various Hyphessobrycon.

Here is a pic of my H. amapaensis for comparison to the ones you listed. One good thing to note about them is they are definitely really hardy. I bought a dozen of them three and a half years ago and they are all still alive. Definitely showing their age and for the past year or so they have had a milky covering to some of their scales that I think is just from old age but still healthy (you can see in the photo some of his scales have a cloudy look to them).

white film on Hyphessobrycon amapaensis by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Thanks for the insight @ Triport. You are right... and I see now I wasn’t thinking of tank size very clearly when I added the African Tetra to the list. And I have 2 other African species in my 180 Gallon so I should of known. I really want to get the nigropterus and Wetspot only has 3 of them so I’m thinking I will get those 3 and put in the 180 Gallon and add more later. African tetras are my obsession as well.

I found a video on line of the H. montage and it gives a clearer idea of coloring etc...

https://www.facebook.com/yoyofishroo...1447083917999/

I think with them a group of wild paracheirodon simulans would add to the tank movement . Maybe a group of 18-24 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Dude1 likes this.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Discusluv,

If you will be getting wild fish, as I did with the Dicrossus in the post above. It is very, very important to treat them for diseases and parasites. There are some really, really nasty diseases in wild caught species that can wipe out fish in several tanks through cross-contamination. I strongly recommend following the procedure of Aquarium Co-op's Cory (a GSAS member) for treating new fish using Erythromycin, General Cure, and Ick-X. You will find several videos online about how to go about it. I was fortunate, I asked Cory to order the fish in for me and treat them (took about a week) before I picked them up.
Thank you @Seattle_Aquarist,

A majority of my fish are wild and I do deworm with praziquantel/flubendazole prior to putting in display tank. They also are proactively given a round of Paraguard in case of external parasites. No antiobiotics, however, unless I see a need for them. Yes, you are absolutely correct, wilds need some proactive treatment before placing in their permanent home.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Good idea on the African tetras for your big tank. The Wet Spot caries that species quite often so I am sure they will get them again to bolster your numbers. And yeah I love P. simulans so I think a group of those plus whichever of the Hyphessobrycon species you like best would work really well together.

Bump: And yes with wild caught fish I always treat with Prazipro for parasites. Quite a few of the wild caught fish I have bought have been afflicted but a single dose of Prazipro clears it up. I don't add any other medicines unless there are fish that look like they need it which is sometimes the case just from general shipping damage.
Discusluv likes this.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Algae Grower

I voted for no. 5. I think their golden shimmer will really stand out in your tank.
Discusluv likes this.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow.... ok I'm going to enumerate my comments
1. Tank... wow... you've got it... stunning hardscape and plant selections to start. I'm not fond of "stems" but I think everyone should come to their own conclusions.

2. I absolutely LOVE the idea of this tank. I hope too someday have something exactly like this once I have enough space/tanks to expand my collection. I've already been working with the builder on plumbing for my man cave/ fishroom/ workshop. 12 -18 20 gallon longs on a 2 tier rack all running on a centralized sump with constant drip changes and a massive UV sterilizer. I'll have maybe 4 more 20 longs running independent for QT and hospital. You wouldn't believe what these builders say and recommend to me... but that's another tale. I LOVE THIS TANK.

3. My personal favorite would be wadai for numerous reasons.
A. Colors are amazing.
B. Given their species they would likely breed in
the tank for you.
C. you could pack ay least 20 in there.. what a
display.
D. I will buy every fry you rear.
E. I think green neons are gorgeous. Definitely
one of my favorites. The problem is it might
break up the uniformity which is so amazing.
The biggest drawback... you would never
ever see a single fry.
Discusluv likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Wow.... ok I'm going to enumerate my comments
1. Tank... wow... you've got it... stunning hardscape and plant selections to start. I'm not fond of "stems" but I think everyone should come to their own conclusions.

2. I absolutely LOVE the idea of this tank. I hope too someday have something exactly like this once I have enough space/tanks to expand my collection. I've already been working with the builder on plumbing for my man cave/ fishroom/ workshop. 12 -18 20 gallon longs on a 2 tier rack all running on a centralized sump with constant drip changes and a massive UV sterilizer. I'll have maybe 4 more 20 longs running independent for QT and hospital. You wouldn't believe what these builders say and recommend to me... but that's another tale. I LOVE THIS TANK.

3. My personal favorite would be wadai for numerous reasons.
A. Colors are amazing.
B. Given their species they would likely breed in
the tank for you.
C. you could pack ay least 20 in there.. what a
display.
D. I will buy every fry you rear.
E. I think green neons are gorgeous. Definitely
one of my favorites. The problem is it might
break up the uniformity which is so amazing.
The biggest drawback... you would never
ever see a single fry.
Thanks @The Dude1 !

The stems on the right side are temporary. Eventually, as I get a hand of learning how to grow stem plants these will be moved to my 180 or 60 gallon tank ( both now have high light as well) and replaced with a carpeting plant or, possibly, I will add more of the hydrocytle tripartia "japan". I will also keep the Blyxia in this tank ( both plants are my favorite of group).
As you know, both stem plants and high light are new to me. Because this is a recently started tank with Amazonia Light soil and high light, I am stocking it densely with plants to minimize algae issues and have the opportunity to learn. The plants have taken off in the last few days: the Byxia has stopped melting, the plants (some) are showing red-pinkish tips and growing in height. The only issue am having is algae growing on fiddens moss- hopefully that will stop eventually.

As far as fish:

I haven't decided on the hyphessobrycon sp. yet. Will continue poll and think on it.

I did decide against the Green neons for this tank and ordered a dozen of the Tucano tetras. I think these will be perfect for this tank as the right hand side will provide shaded spaces for them. I will just need to add some Catulpa leaves for them to get a bit of a tint in water/ tannins. I also ordered 3 of the nigropterus to go in with the other African tetras I have in the 180, and will add more when they get more in. As @Triport stated, they seem to get them in often.

Here is a video of the Tucano tetra- an amazing little fish and one of my favorites:

mbkemp, Triport and Wobblebonk like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode