Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus 5 35.71%
Moenkhausia sp. 'kogal yellow' 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Oh no! Aquatic Clarity just got in another African tetra that Ive been searching high and low for. -Alestopetersius Brichardi "Cherry Red Congo Tetra". @Triport- have you seen this variety before?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ales...wBq5FQdM9jfIM:
The Dude1 and varanidguy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know them but haven't seen them for sale. I actually don't want to see any cool Congo tetras for sale until I move and have a large enough tank for them! There is a species that is just going by the name Phenacogrammus 'Orange Makoua' and other with the name 'Fantastique' that I would literally kill to have. There is also a South American giant hatchetfish called Trioportheus angulatus that I have kept before but are rarely available in the trade that I want again some day. You should buy them for your big tank!

Bump: These are the ones I have. Lamp-eye Congos. So cool.

Phenacogrammus aurantiacus by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
OVT, The Dude1, Discusluv and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I know them but haven't seen them for sale. I actually don't want to see any cool Congo tetras for sale until I move and have a large enough tank for them! There is a species that is just going by the name Phenacogrammus 'Orange Makoua' and other with the name 'Fantastique' that I would literally kill to have. There is also a South American giant hatchetfish called Trioportheus angulatus that I have kept before but are rarely available in the trade that I want again some day. You should buy them for your big tank!

Bump: These are the ones I have. Lamp-eye Congos. So cool.

Phenacogrammus aurantiacus by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

I have a group of the Lamp eyes in the 180 as well- but your picture is 10x better than all the pictures combined I have taken of mine! Wow- extraordinary!
Iíll look those varieties that you list. I havenít heard of them.

Thatís right- you need to focus on moving and Iím showing you African tetras you need to buy, lol! Itís just great meeting some one who is obsessed with them like I am .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Dude1 and varanidguy like this.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

I really like Alestes tetras too (Brycinus longipinnis). Lost all but one of mine to gas bubble disease during a water change but I will definitely be getting more some day. And yeah the lamp-eyes were tricky to photograph. Had to take a photo from the side of the tank because it is a bow front and they hang out at the very top. Strangely out of 11 fish only one is a male. Possibly because the tank is too small only the dominant fish is showing his adult fins. I have loved African tetras since the late 80s when they were super rare. It is awesome that these days there are so many more available and more being discovered and hopefully described.
The Dude1 and Discusluv like this.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:00 AM
Algae Grower

numer 2 does look pretty cool..

Nice set up man!
Discusluv likes this.

20 Long planted
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank! I voted for the montagiís. If youíre really looking for something rare, I think theyíre the way to go. Because of the bright coloration of wadai and cyanotenia, theyíre showing up in more and more tanks- theyíre both gorgeous, but the montagiís are next level IMO. They donít come around often and Iíve only ever seen them in Tanks from Asia- and only in baller tanks with great scapes- I think they would look amazing in your 30 gal as the main school of fish- I like the idea of tucanoís in that tank too- and they would look really cool with the montagiís. If you didnít want to go with a smaller group of tucanos with the montagiís, you could always add 8-10 wadai or cyanotenia for a little color.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what youíve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRT View Post
Great looking tank! I voted for the montagiís. If youíre really looking for something rare, I think theyíre the way to go. Because of the bright coloration of wadai and cyanotenia, theyíre showing up in more and more tanks- theyíre both gorgeous, but the montagiís are next level IMO. They donít come around often and Iíve only ever seen them in Tanks from Asia- and only in baller tanks with great scapes- I think they would look amazing in your 30 gal as the main school of fish- I like the idea of tucanoís in that tank too- and they would look really cool with the montagiís. If you didnít want to go with a smaller group of tucanos with the montagiís, you could always add 8-10 wadai or cyanotenia for a little color.
Thank you @AdamRT -- The Montagi are not the most attractive of the group ( although I would say their markings are pretty amazing), but-- you are correct-- they are the rarest of the South American selection.

I think what I am going to do at this point is look at distribution as well. To see if there is any cross-over between the Tucano's and the South American tetras in poll. The Tucanos prefer temperatures 78-79 degrees ( although they are fine a few degrees either way --up or down.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Took a quick video of the Tucano Tetras last night. They are settling in well and coloring up quick.

The Dude1 likes this.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

That is cool. They are so expensive relative to their size that they intimidate me. My H. amapaensis were really expensive but at least they were on the large size.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

They are expensive.
Did you notice how they bite at the bubbles ( or go for them ónot sure if they actually bite them) coming from HOB? Funny little guys.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A. smykalai -- $12
A. brichardi -- $40
Bryconaethiops boulengeri -- $14
Distichodus sexfasciatus -- $30
D. decemaculatus -- $25
D. Red And Black -- $40
Brachypetersius altus Nioki BLack -- $14
B. bresheghemi -- $12
Phenocoggrammus auranticus Blue Eye -- $30
Brycinus longipinnis -- $8
B. macrolepidotus -- $12
Neolebias trewavasa -- $10
Lepidarchus adonis -- $2 (12 min)
Nannocharax fasciatus -- $10

Black Banded Copella -- $8
Black Neon -- $2
Black Phnatom -- $2
Black Skirt -- $2
Bleeding Heart -- $5
Blue -- $3
Congo -- $6
Diamond -- $4
Ember -- $3
Glass Bloodfin -- $3
Glolite -- $3
Lemon -- $4
Serpae -- $3
Von Rio -- $3

;o but I sadly got a semi for something else available and ordered those instead, next order maybe I'll get some tetras
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
A. smykalai -- $12

A. brichardi -- $40

Bryconaethiops boulengeri -- $14

Distichodus sexfasciatus -- $30

D. decemaculatus -- $25

D. Red And Black -- $40

Brachypetersius altus Nioki BLack -- $14

B. bresheghemi -- $12

Phenocoggrammus auranticus Blue Eye -- $30

Brycinus longipinnis -- $8

B. macrolepidotus -- $12

Neolebias trewavasa -- $10

Lepidarchus adonis -- $2 (12 min)

Nannocharax fasciatus -- $10

Black Banded Copella -- $8

Black Neon -- $2

Black Phnatom -- $2

Black Skirt -- $2

Bleeding Heart -- $5

Blue -- $3

Congo -- $6

Diamond -- $4

Ember -- $3

Glass Bloodfin -- $3

Glolite -- $3

Lemon -- $4

Serpae -- $3

Von Rio -- $3

;o but I sadly got a semi for something else available and ordered those instead, next order maybe I'll get some tetras

Whatís this- I donít get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nothing just stuff that was available to order recently from a local guy, and I was thinking next time I should research some of these better and maybe get some,
but I got some uhhh crazy other stuff instead this time.
Discusluv likes this.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Which Tetra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
nothing just stuff that was available to order recently from a local guy, and I was thinking next time I should research some of these better and maybe get some,

but I got some uhhh crazy other stuff instead this time.

Oh, okay- there are some great Tetras on that list

Is this local guy Nedís Fish Factory or Aquatic Clarity?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wobblebonk likes this.

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I may ask you for suggestions at some point in the future... no he isn't though it's possible they may have similar or the same suppliers.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode