Bolivian ram for my 20 long - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bolivian ram for my 20 long

I have a 20 gallon long moderate-heavily planted tank that houses 4 nerite snails, 1 mystery snail, 2 amanos, 6 pangio semicincta (kuhlis), and 10 pangio cuneovirgata (dwarf kuhli). I would consider 10 cuneovirgata to have the bioload of 5 regular kuhli, maybe less.

Long story short, the most activity I see throughout the day is the shrimp moving around. I am dying to get some active fish in there and I am hooked on Bolivian Rams and would love to get one (any tips on them would be great, especially types of foods).

I was wondering if there are any other active compatible fish for the mid/upper regions of the tank (keep in mind it's only 12" high). Preferably not a fish that requires a very large school as most tiny fish are pretty expensive at my LPS.

Last edited by Ravynn; 07-06-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: updated picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

Hi,

Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) need a 30 gallon aquarium at minimum. They will not be able to thrive long-term in a 20 gallon long.

~ iMacg3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will offer an alternative opinion. In my experience a 20 long would be fine for a pair or two. Good structure for territory and they will be happy happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maldo3 likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Algae Grower

A 20 with plenty of cover would be better than a larger tank that's fairly bare, so I think a pair would be okay. It's sorta a judgement call based on the individual and their experiences. If you wanted to be less on the fence and love smaller cichlids, check out some apistos! Love those guys
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
I will offer an alternative opinion. In my experience a 20 long would be fine for a pair or two. Good structure for territory and they will be happy happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBassin View Post
A 20 with plenty of cover would be better than a larger tank that's fairly bare, so I think a pair would be okay. It's sorta a judgement call based on the individual and their experiences. If you wanted to be less on the fence and love smaller cichlids, check out some apistos! Love those guys

Wouldn't a pair get aggressive while breeding? I was also looking at apistos but I was leaning towards a more longer-lived dwarf cichlid, hence why I was considering the Bolivian. I think my LPS only stocks male apistos as well.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bolivian rams are typically less aggressive than most dwarf cichlids. When I has a pair they bread in a community tank and only bothered anyone that actively tried to eat eggs/babies. A 20 long is plenty for them. I don't know if they are going to give you want you want though as dwarf cichlids tend to stay at the bottom of the tank. Also if they do breed it could be an issue with the kuhli's due to them sharing common area. Maybe something like honey gourami? They stay small, will go all over the tank but will mostly stay in the mid to high sections of the tank.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
Bolivian rams are typically less aggressive than most dwarf cichlids. When I has a pair they bread in a community tank and only bothered anyone that actively tried to eat eggs/babies. A 20 long is plenty for them. I don't know if they are going to give you want you want though as dwarf cichlids tend to stay at the bottom of the tank. Also if they do breed it could be an issue with the kuhli's due to them sharing common area. Maybe something like honey gourami? They stay small, will go all over the tank but will mostly stay in the mid to high sections of the tank.

I just want a fish that I can see moving throughout the day, unlike the kuhlis, so I don't mind that they stay near the bottom. Sounds terrible but it's like staring at a tank with only plants. The rams have really caught my eye.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

I'd say go for the rams. As for schooling fish, you can't go wrong with some neons, cardinals, or rummy nose tetras.
Ravynn likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBassin View Post
I'd say go for the rams. As for schooling fish, you can't go wrong with some neons, cardinals, or rummy nose tetras.

I just asked the guy that runs the fish department at my LPS if he can sex them for me. He said he could definitely sex German blue rams but he would try his best with the Bolivians. So, not sure if I should get 1 or a pair or if I should get the German/Bolivian.

I had originally been interested in the Bolivians due to their longer lifespan and possibly being a little hardier than Germans.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are much hardier than the blue rams. There are many methods to sexing Bolivians. Size is one. Deeper color is another. I use the anal fin. The male will be more pointed and extend further into the tail. Works for me. Others use the head shape. I will see if I can find a picture or two to illustrate

The male is in the left in this picture

Ravynn likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-07-2018 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The male is in the left in this picture

Do you mean the male is the one with just the end of the tail showing on the left, not the one in the middle of the pic? The one in the middle looks like it has a pointed anal fin but what do I know. Lol
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry, I goofed up. Yes, the male is on the right. The tail is a female I believe

Ravynn likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Sorry, I goofed up. Yes, the male is on the right. The tail is a female I believe

Should I try to get a female/male or 2 males?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will share a few experiences and opinions.
First, in my opinion if you have two it should be male female. These fish have a strong pair bond once established. I have seen a healthy male stand guard over his sick female, and visa versa. When they spawn they work together. It is pretty cool to watch

Second, they will establish a hierarchy. If you have all males you won’t see their best color and the battles are sharper. Male female will fight as well. She will test him to ensure he is strong enough

Third, a male, female does not ensure a pair bond but you will see the flirting

maldo3 and Ravynn like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I will share a few experiences and opinions.
First, in my opinion if you have two it should be male female. These fish have a strong pair bond once established. I have seen a healthy male stand guard over his sick female, and visa versa. When they spawn they work together. It is pretty cool to watch

Second, they will establish a hierarchy. If you have all males you won’t see their best color and the battles are sharper. Male female will fight as well. She will test him to ensure he is strong enough

Third, a male, female does not ensure a pair bond but you will see the flirting

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just want to get this right the first time. Hopefully I'll get a male/female, I'd hate to get 2 males and have them fight.

I was only going to get 1 if it was hard to sex them at the store but I read 1 ram would be stressed out.
mbkemp likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode