Show off your uncommon tetras! - The Planted Tank Forum
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Show off your uncommon tetras!

With so many new species becoming more and more available to hobbyists, I wanted to start a thread where people can highlight some of their less-common/rare tetras. This can include hard to find species or unusual color phases of more common species. Please include the tank parameters in which they are kept and any other information that may benefit other hobbyists interested in trying their hand at some of these rare gems!

I just picked up some Stictus (red base tetras) and will post some pics as soon as they color up, but for now here is one of my Loreto tetras:
quaizer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Planted Member

Looks like the image didn't come through... I'm interested to see those tetras in full color, as they didn't look too colorful in our tanks.

I'm increasingly impressed with Hemigrammus coeruleus, but they are too big for my liking and I have only witnessed them in stores. They don't always have the bright red and deep black color like the google photos, but when they get it, it's very evident.
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

Go Timbers
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a small group of 8 of these guys in a 20 gallon high. PH 6.2 temp 76f they max out a little over an inch and eat frozen daphnia, cyclops, new life spectrum pellet, and tubifex/blood worms. Great little alternative to black neons that shoal loosely and are very peaceful.

Bump: Yeah I知 having a hard time with photos for some reason, but there is a nice shot of one in my gallery. I値l try to get this sorted and post again.

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRT View Post

I have a small group of 8 of these guys in a 20 gallon high. PH 6.2 temp 76f they max out a little over an inch and eat frozen daphnia, cyclops, new life spectrum pellet, and tubifex/blood worms. Great little alternative to black neons that shoal loosely and are very peaceful.

Bump: Yeah I知 having a hard time with photos for some reason, but there is a nice shot of one in my gallery. I値l try to get this sorted and post again.
I like the look of Loreto's, with their red tails. I actually meant I wanted to see some photos of your H. stictus, because they didn't look like much in our tanks.

Go Timbers
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha they didn稚 look like much when I got them in on Friday either. I致e got them set up in a 20 gal planted tank in my office, so I値l be interested to see how they look tomorrow.

I had asked the guys at the wet spot to keep an eye out for them, and got a call on Thursday that they actually had 7 in an unmarked tank for the last few months they壇 sell for $4 each. I jumped on it and by Friday morning they were at my door in ny (haha I知 still amazed by next day air shipping for some reason).

They came in very fat and healthy, but no red showing at the base of their tails. What I did notice was a very attractive blue green metallic sheen over their entire bodies, so they should be stunners if/when the red comes in. I知 planning a 120 (was going to be a 150, but I chickened out and decided to scale it back), that will feature mostly tetras from Columbia (wild caught cardinals, rummynose, and stictus) but I知 also going to mix in some of the more rare Peruvians like H. Rubrostriatus, H. Melanostichos, and H. Margitae. Haha I知 calling it an 殿malga-tope since I知 using all plants and fish from similar environments in SA that aren稚 geographically linked.

According to mokji, Stictus naturally school with cardinals in clear water spring-fed streams, that tend to run cooler than the black water streams where they池e also found. I plan to keep them around 78F to start and will tweak based on how the fish and plants respond.

Anyway back to the Stictus, they were eating frozen daphnia and chasing around the bloodfins by the end of the day on Friday, and they were all still looking very good so I値l post some pics tomorrow am when I知 back to work. They池e an underrated fish IMO, but I think they池e an absolutely gorgeous tetra with a subtle understated beauty. If I see any spawning behavior in the 120 I am going to pull a pair of them and try to raise the fry in an outside container over the summer.

For some reason when I go to add an attachment, I can稚 get back out of the 杜anage attachments page to my message. It痴 like the 田lose this window buttons do not work... any thoughts?

Bump:

Bump: The above are a few shots of my loreto tetras and my office tank that they live in with the Stictus (temporarily) and a few bloodfins
ReeferRob and EBoneCapone like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-07-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I知 a property manager, so a lot of the people I deal with come in to the office upset about one thing or another (to give you a sense of what I mean- I had a resident come in the other day to complain about the amount of noise their neighbors cat makes when it runs around), and the tank does a great job of calming people down.

It痴 hard to stay pissed off staring at a nice planted tank!

Anyway, the loretos are going to stay in the 20 and the Stictus will join 60-70 wc cardinals, 25 H. rubrostriatus, 25 H. Margitae or blue loretos (depending on what痴 available), some smaller groups (like 10-12) H. Coreleus, H. Melanostichos or hexastichos, Phoenix tetras, and 2-3 pairs of apistos in the 120 at home.

Should be a fun tank!
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRT View Post
Thanks! I知 a property manager, so a lot of the people I deal with come in to the office upset about one thing or another (to give you a sense of what I mean- I had a resident come in the other day to complain about the amount of noise their neighbors cat makes when it runs around), and the tank does a great job of calming people down.

It痴 hard to stay pissed off staring at a nice planted tank!

Anyway, the loretos are going to stay in the 20 and the Stictus will join 60-70 wc cardinals, 25 H. rubrostriatus, 25 H. Margitae or blue loretos (depending on what痴 available), some smaller groups (like 10-12) H. Coreleus, H. Melanostichos or hexastichos, Phoenix tetras, and 2-3 pairs of apistos in the 120 at home.

Should be a fun tank!

Please share pictures when that is completed. Those are all beautiful fish!

SusieQues likes this.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will do- Should be soon. Haha the floor in my sitting room where the tank is going is covered in boxes of equipment/substrate/rocks etc. and if I don稚 get it cleaned up soon my wife is going to kill me!

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what you致e got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
In 180 gallon tank:

Phenacogrammus aurantiacus

Hemigrammopetersius pulcher

hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis 'orange red

30 gallon
hyphessobrycon nigricinctus

Tucanoichthys tucano
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow! DL, great pictures

Discusluv and Discusluv like this.
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks, Mike
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those tucano are calling to me. Why am I ok spending that on an apisto and not a tetra?

Discusluv and Discusluv like this.
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 AM
Algae Grower

I really like those Tucanos!
never seen those nigricinctus either... Some nice tetras!

Bad quality pics incoming

Brycinus longipinnis

triportheus angulatus
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Discusluv, your fish look amazing... Those nigricinctus and tucano are the nicest looking examples of the species I致e seen in a home aquarium!!! The orange lemons are really nice as well- I really like the idea of a mixed school of lemons and orange lemons (although there is some talk of them actually being different species).

I壇 really appreciate if you could talk about your experience with each of these fish- stuff like preferred foods, temperament, social interaction, swim zones, hardiness, preferred water parameters, etc.

All three of those guys are on my wishlist, so any insight you could share would be a great help.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what you致e got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode