Show off your uncommon tetras! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those crystal tetras are awesome! I noticed wet spot had some up for sale recently as well as an ďornate crystal tetraĒ which i think is also referred to as a hummingbird tetra... itís part of a complex of dwarf tetras from Peru that are really colorful and def on my list for the 20 gal office tank rescape coming soon!

Thanks to all for explaining your water change routines for your rare tetras! I was surprised to see such large volumes of water being changed at once. When I start approaching 50% in a large tank, I get freaked out over the rapid change in parameters it could cause.

Itís too much water to go with straight rodi water without at least some remineralization but if I do remineralize or cut with tap water, it ends up being so close in ec/tds to the water Iím removing that It negates the main reason I change water in the first place! (To remove dissolved solids/reset the ec back to my base range of 225-250 microsiemens).

Iím curious to see the parameters of the replacement water when youíre changing out 75% at once. Is it pure rodi, a mix of rodi/tap, do you remineralize to predetermined ec/tds, or do you base the water quality on some other metric? Also curious to hear how your plants respond to such large changes.

Until recently Iíve had a very light bioload in the 120 but Iím now up to about 60 fish (not counting clean up crew). Iím anticipating that Iíll need to increase my water changes from 30% a week to closer to 50% but I hate wasting water and I really hate disposing of nutrient laden water back in to the watershed, so Iím wondering that I can lower the % changed by using pure unmineralized rodi to basically just dillute the minerals and nutrients already in the system back to my base level.

My only concern with this method would be the eventual accumulation of one or more elements that isnít being utilized as quickly as others or depletion of a given element like calcium or magnesium over time. Love to hear how you guys pull off these large wcís without stressing the tanks inhabitants!
FreshPuff likes this.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what youíve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Right now for my South American tanks I am doing a 50/50 mix of tapwater and RO aged at least overnight before I do the water change. The fish don't seem to mind as long as it isn't right out of the tap. Originally my 36g tank was straight tap water so to acclimate the fish to the softer water I did a series of smaller water changes over about 3 or 4 weeks and I didn't notice any problems. I think I may have started with 1 part RO with 2 or 3 parts tap water too but I don't remember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
Stunning!

They look like were built for speed.

Thanks! I wish I had a better picture to show how silver they are.
They seem to like to hangout in the gentle current area of the tank. They don't really dart around. They mostly stick to an area and just chill.

post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Show off your uncommon tetras!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRT View Post
Those crystal tetras are awesome! I noticed wet spot had some up for sale recently as well as an ďornate crystal tetraĒ which i think is also referred to as a hummingbird tetra... itís part of a complex of dwarf tetras from Peru that are really colorful and def on my list for the 20 gal office tank rescape coming soon!

Thanks to all for explaining your water change routines for your rare tetras! I was surprised to see such large volumes of water being changed at once. When I start approaching 50% in a large tank, I get freaked out over the rapid change in parameters it could cause.

Itís too much water to go with straight rodi water without at least some remineralization but if I do remineralize or cut with tap water, it ends up being so close in ec/tds to the water Iím removing that It negates the main reason I change water in the first place! (To remove dissolved solids/reset the ec back to my base range of 225-250 microsiemens).

Iím curious to see the parameters of the replacement water when youíre changing out 75% at once. Is it pure rodi, a mix of rodi/tap, do you remineralize to predetermined ec/tds, or do you base the water quality on some other metric? Also curious to hear how your plants respond to such large changes.

Until recently Iíve had a very light bioload in the 120 but Iím now up to about 60 fish (not counting clean up crew). Iím anticipating that Iíll need to increase my water changes from 30% a week to closer to 50% but I hate wasting water and I really hate disposing of nutrient laden water back in to the watershed, so Iím wondering that I can lower the % changed by using pure unmineralized rodi to basically just dillute the minerals and nutrients already in the system back to my base level.

My only concern with this method would be the eventual accumulation of one or more elements that isnít being utilized as quickly as others or depletion of a given element like calcium or magnesium over time. Love to hear how you guys pull off these large wcís without stressing the tanks inhabitants!

Iíve only been keeping plants in my tanks for the last year. Fish I know, plants are a new set of factors Iím just beginning to understand. But, plants needs will always be secondary to my fish. That said, I didnít know about tds or ec numbers until recently ( I have been keeping fish for a very, very long time). I did look at pH and how stable it was within a 24 hour period. If you had movement of .4 within 24 hours- need to age water. Fortunately, my water is very stable. My fish have no ill effects no matter how large or frequently change water. My plants, however, thatís a different story.
I was having signs of magnesium deficiency in plants, so recently started using Equilibrium. Iíve noticed that plants are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Dude1 likes this.

post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
Thanks! I wish I had a better picture to show how silver they are.
They seem to like to hangout in the gentle current area of the tank. They don't really dart around. They mostly stick to an area and just chill.
How long have you had them?
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
How long have you had them?
Hmmm I think it's been about 3 months now.
post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I read that the crystal tetras are very tight schoolers. Have you noticed this with your group?

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what youíve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.

Last edited by AdamRT; 08-25-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRT View Post
I read that the crystal tetras are very tight schoolers. Have you noticed this with your group?
I would agree that they are schoolers. I have a total of 6 in a 49 gallon aquarium. 4 of them behave like glass catfish where they just tightly swim in unison together in one spot of the tank where there's a gentle current from the outflow. The other two are adventurous and explore the tank most of the day. I would like to have more of these in a larger tank... Would make for some great schooling.
post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pic of lamp-eyes from last night.

The Dude1 and ReeferRob like this.

post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Pic of lamp-eyes from last night.

You've got to STOP posting pics of those!! I keep trying to talk myself out of them. Then I see yours and I KNOW I have to have them. I need to stop procrastinating and remove the Neons as they are just a reservoir of disease..
SusieQues and ReeferRob like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Wetspot has some phenocogrammus fantastique -- I am forcing myself to look away. Ugh these Congos's are beautiful.
Isn't this a variety that you were looking for @Triport ?

I just recently ordered 7 of the Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus and 2 of the Alestopetersius Brichardi "Red" ( all they had left). Ill take a video soon- they are amazing.

Here is someone else's video of the Alestopetersius cf. nigropterus. Mine look just like this.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...1c35c99d7413cb

And the A. Brichardi. Again , not my video.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...7e&action=view

post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

UGH. Of course they have Fantastique now. I just closed on my new house today and am months away from setting up my new larger tanks and moving in to the new place. And probably it will be months after that before I can even afford any new fish. But hopefully this is a sign that they will get them in again. The species I actually REALLY want is Phenacogrammus sp. Orange Makoua. But Fantastique are awesome too and if they have them when I am ready I might just have to pick up a dozen. Leaning toward getting a 150 gallon (5 feet long approx 2 feet deep and tall) for the African tetras and maybe for the Corydoras tank too. Just to start out my new fish room. But that may change. I have to play around with it a bit and see what will be the best way to go (and see what I can afford).

Thanks for letting me know!
Discusluv likes this.

post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
You've got to STOP posting pics of those!! I keep trying to talk myself out of them. Then I see yours and I KNOW I have to have them. I need to stop procrastinating and remove the Neons as they are just a reservoir of disease..

Get some! I donít believe in restraint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
UGH. Of course they have Fantastique now. I just closed on my new house today and am months away from setting up my new larger tanks and moving in to the new place. And probably it will be months after that before I can even afford any new fish. But hopefully this is a sign that they will get them in again. The species I actually REALLY want is Phenacogrammus sp. Orange Makoua. But Fantastique are awesome too and if they have them when I am ready I might just have to pick up a dozen. Leaning toward getting a 150 gallon (5 feet long approx 2 feet deep and tall) for the African tetras and maybe for the Corydoras tank too. Just to start out my new fish room. But that may change. I have to play around with it a bit and see what will be the best way to go (and see what I can afford).

Thanks for letting me know!
I just found a reputable source here in the states ( one that I have used a few times) that has the phenacogrammus sp. Orange Makoua. But, I wont say where, that way you wont feel too bad.

But, bright side: I have never seen them before, so now maybe they will be coming more available in states

Actually, now that I look at it it says, alestopetersisus sp. Orange Makoua. I wonder if it is misidentified?
P.S. Nope. He has both an alestopetersius and a phenacogrammus sp. listed as Makoua=- interesting.

Last edited by Discusluv; 11-14-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: more info
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

I doubt they are fully described so it will be some time before they are confirmed as Alestopetersius or Phenacogrammus or something else. Orange Makoua just indicates the collection area I assume. Hopefully it will be properly described soon and all these cool tetras will become more available.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode