Show off your uncommon tetras! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick update on my stictus tetras- they all broke out with a pretty bad case of Ich over their first weekend in the tank, which I discovered when I came back to work on Monday. 1 has passed away over the weekend and I lost another that Wednesday. But if the 5 that remained, all recovered and are now doing quite well.

Upon seeing ich in the tank (which remained limited to the stictus and a single spot on my male gbr), I immediately began dosing both microbelift herbtana and their other one for bacterial infections (forget the name) and added a 9w UV sterilizer to the tank (20 gal). Within two days of adding the uv I noticed a marked improvement and a week later the ich was gone and all scales had healed beautifully.

I also performed 30% water changes daily to remove as much of the water borne ich as possible. The remaining 5 stictus responded much better than I had expected (I had assumed I was going to lose all of them), and went from being extremely shy and tentative to being almost as boisterous as their bloodfin tankmates.

Behavior: Even though thereís only 5 of them (or maybe because thereís only 5) they school as tightly as any fish Iíve seen. They seem to appreciate the added flow from the uv sterilizer and spend a lot of time swimming together in the current. They will periodically chase the bloodfins if one of them tries to ďhang outĒ with them, but I havenít observed any fin nipping and they immediately stop chasing as soon as the bloodfin gives them their space. Iíve seen no signs of aggression towards the loreto tetras or any of the shrimp in the tank (just a few Amanos, ghost, and grass shrimp as part of the cleanup crew). When not swimming in the current, they tend to hover together in the lower leaves of ludwigia ovalis, where they calmly graze on air roots.

The most interesting thing Iíve observed with them is that they appear to be largely herbivores. Iíve seen them pick at the ludwigia air roots, and they are constantly eating the tips of the runners the hydrocoytle japan (not sure if thatís the correct name, but Iím talking about Japanese clover). The plant nipping is not so bad that its a problem. for every runner they nip, two start growing in its place so the growth of this plant has actually picked up a little since I got these fish. They are very fond of emerald entree and spirulina brine shrimp, slightly less interested in daphnia and bloodworms (though they still eat them), and will take omega one mini pellets, but usually only nibble a little before spitting them out. Thankfully their grazing on the aquarium plants has them all nice and plump!

Iíll post some pics later today- still no red showing at the base of their tails, but they are a lovely metallic amber-bronze color with a stripe of metallic green sheen running along their sides. While I donít think I would purchase any more of these guys if they donít show the red base which is their namesake, so far they appear to be a very viable community tetra with interesting personalities and behaviors. They school with cardinal tetras in the wild so I plan on moving these guys to the 120 once itís been running for a few months.

Water parameters: theyíre doing well at 76-78f, ph 6.0, kh 2, and seem to appreciate having high flow and low flow areas which they use intermittently.
Discusluv, Discusluv and ReeferRob like this.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what youíve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thank you AdamRt

The nigricinctus are very hardy. They are wild specimens which (as are all the tetras I posted pictures of above).
They do come from waters of low organics, so the tank they are in gets a 75% water change weekly.
They eat a wide-range of foods. I feed NLS Freshwater flake as staple and then rotate freeze-dried blackworms ( they love), frozen bloodworms with spirulina, frozen brine-shrimp, and occasionally, beefheart.
They are primarily insectivores in wild, so need a high protein diet.
Tank is at 78 degrees, good flow, lightly planted, driftwood.
Temperament: extremely docile ( would not do well but with aggressive fish), no fin nipping of other fish. Schoaler, not a tight schooler.
The females are coming to age, breeding form, and this summer I will attempt to breed them. Here is an article I found to breed them:
Breeding the Imperial Tetra (Full Article) | Details | Articles | TFH Magazineģ

The Tocano tetra is solitary.
I had a group of 6 in a 10 gallon that decided to spring a leak at 11:00 at night and lost the other five. An expensive loss.
Its really hard to evaluate this breed as it is solitary and I am not getting the full benefit of natural behaviors. Right now he is hanging out with the nigrcinctus.
He eats heartily everything that feed the nigrcinctus. The temperature is a bit cool for him-- they like temperatures closer to 80-82 degrees. Been looking for more Tocano's so can put him back in a 10 gallon with his kind- have not yet located any others... I am actively looking.
This is the tank they are in:

The Orange Lemons, which are a group of 20, are in my 180 gallon South American tank with geohagus sveni and neambi, biotodoma cupido and wavirini, corydoras eques and brochis splendens, and the two African tetra varieties I pictured above.

This tank is at 78 degrees, is medium- low tech planted, driftwood, rock, sand.
This variety stays at mid level of tank and will often go to bottom of tank to feed. I have a heavily planted background of valisneria which the group inhabits on one side of the tank. In my tank, it doesn't school, but prefers to hang out as a group in the tall valisneria. During feeding it will leave this area and go throughout mid to lower levels. Its behavior was a surprise to me-- thought it would school like your more common Lemon tetra- but its behavior is quite different.
They eat a varied diet and are hearty eaters: NLS flake, Spirulina pellet, cichlid pellet, freeze-dried black-worms with spirulina, frozen blood-worms.
This tank gets 2- 50% water changes weekly as geophagus and biotodoma sp. require a pristine water quality, like discus.
Im sure the Lemons dont require such a frequent water changing schedule, but they have certainly benefited from it.
As far as temperament, they are very docile to one another, rarely do i see any con-specific aggression-- some light chasing occasionally.
This is the tank they are in:

Wasn't sure if you wanted info on the African tetras-- i certainly can add some info on them as well if you like.
ReeferRob likes this.
post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

African, South American, Central American- if itís not something you see in petsmart every day, itís all good! I donít have any at the moment, but I love all the different varieties of African tetras that are slowly becoming more available in the states... I donít know if itís a lack of knowledge that they exist or the high price tag many of them command, but theyíre totally underrated imho. So any info you can offer on the care of different alestids in addition to tetras from the americas would be a welcome addition to this thread!

Itís not really my thing, but it would be great if someone could start another thread for uncommon cyprinids since there a number of really cool rasboras, danios, and barbs showing up that are outside of the norm as well.
Jane of Upton likes this.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what youíve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.

post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This thread is right up my alley!
Discusluv likes this.
post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

@rafini do you have the Triportheus angulatus now? They are one of my favorite fish. They are where I got my screen name for this forum. I have kept them twice but they are super rare in the hobby and I haven't seen them for years. Where did you get them? I thought about asking The Wet Spot if they could source some for me but I currently don't have a tank big enough for them so it will have to wait until I move.

Tetras are my favorite type of fish so I have a few less common ones.

Yellow-tail Congo tetras - Alestopetersius caudalis Sadly these guys and other Congos seem very susceptible to gas bubble disease so I lost of all these after a water change. Because of them I completely changed the way that I do water changes.

Alestopetersius caudalis by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

African Red-cap moon tetras - Bathyaethiops breuseghemi

Bathyaethiops breuseghemi (red cap moon tetras) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Alestes tetra - Brycinus longipinnis. This guy is the sole survivor of the gas bubble disease outbreak that wiped out most of the rest of my Congos. I have loved these guys since I kept them when I was in college back when they were almost impossible to find. I had them with a few Triportheus sp. and they were all so awesome. I wish I had photos of that tank but it was pre-digital cameras.

Brycinus longipinnis (Alestes tetra) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Lamp-eye Congo tetras - Phenacogrammus aurantiacus. Probably my favorite fish at the moment and I am glad they are more commonly available now even though they are super expensive.

Phenacogrammus aurantiacus by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

One-line African tetra - Nannaethiops unitaeniatus. Fairly closely related to Distichodus sexfasciatus I think so it is possible that they are the ones that nibble on my Anubias but it could be the other Congo tetras as well. I have 3 of these guys left and have had them longer than almost any other fish I currently own.

Nannaethiops unitaeniatus by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Reed tetra - Hyphessobrycon elachys. If you want a small (about an inch) heavy schooler these are an excellent choice. Especially in a larger tank. The males often display to each other and court the females with their extended dorsal and ventral fins but the rest of the time they school pretty well.

Hyphessobrycon elachys (male) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Candy cane tetra - Hyphessobrycon sp. HY511. A favorite since I saw them on a trip to Japan. Unfortunately these are like a canary in a coal mine for letting you know if you have been negligent on water changes. They are very prone to pop-eye if you let the nitrates build up.

Male Hyphessobrycon sp. HY511 (candy cane tetra) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Red-line tetra - Hyphessobrycon amapaensis. Mine are geriatric now and a few have some slightly crooked spines and they all have a bit of an opaque white film on some of their scales but they are very hardy. I have had them all for 3 and a half years and haven't lost a single one. Not the most exciting tetras because they are pretty mellow but very pretty.

white film on Hyphessobrycon amapaensis by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

And one last pic. A group shot of my reed tetras.

Group of Hyphessobrycon elachys (reed tetra) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Discusluv and ReeferRob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful fish @Triport.

Thats interesting, I didn't know the African tetras were more susceptible to gas bubble disease.

Many years ago I noticed that when I did water changes the mucus of my discus would come off in folds and they would cluster in the corner with clamped fins. I was told that I should age my water, so that it could gas off before adding to aquarium. I didn't really want to do that because I was doing daily water changes because they were juveniles. My husband suggested I stuff the python tube ( the hard plastic end) with filter floss to slow down the flow; with this, the micro-bubbles would be forced (by the pressure) to come together and come out tube in larger bubbles that would burst at the top of the water line.

It worked perfectly, the discus no longer shed their mucus layer and swam around normally when adding back water to tank. I now do it with all my fish no matter of what kind.

post #22 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah for anyone using a Python I recommend A. never use water colder than what is in the tank and B. make sure the Python remains above the surface of the water so that it is splashing at the surface rather than under the water. Both these things should help. I play it safe and fill a trash can with water overnight and heat it and aerate it.

I have definitely lost smaller SA tetras to it in the past (without realizing what was happening) but it was usually just a few fish and often fish that were already stressed from something. My Congos were the only time I had a catastrophic loss of a large amount of healthy fish. From what I understand large Congos do not travel very well either.

post #23 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 AM
Algae Grower

Here's a photo of my HY511 when I first got them last May:
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_081357.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	867151

Here's a youtube video of them feeding and dancing:
https://youtu.be/UkFQhfIk4KY
Triport and ReeferRob like this.
post #24 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
The speed at which I opened youtube to see thes beauties in action must be a record, or at the very, least a personal best!
post #25 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

They are really great little fish. I have added Corydoras hastatus to the tank recently and they share the same markings. I'm hoping they will school together. They did in another tank where I kept them together.
ReeferRob likes this.

post #26 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
mountain crystal tetra

https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fis...oniates_pi_en/

Got about 6 of these guys. Very peaceful and they have a really nice silver shine to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6682.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	867335  

post #27 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post

Got about 6 of these guys. Very peaceful and they have a really nice silver shine to them.
Very nice tetra- unusual, for sure.
FreshPuff likes this.

post #28 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 AM

Y'all have some really nice uncommon tetras.
post #29 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

I love tetras and have a tank full. I do not have any rare, unusual ones. The "rarest," which is not rare, are diamond and bleeding heart. However, I do see a lot of the candy cane tetra in their shape.
post #30 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post

Stunning!

They look like were built for speed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode