2Likes
  • 2 Post By NotCousteau
  • 2 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Predator for fry control?

I currently only have dwarf pencilfish in my 50 gallon tank, which is pretty densely planted. As a result, I am having a bit of a population explosion as there seems to be more and more fry every time I look. Have any of you purposely added another species of fish that may prey on small fry for population control? It looks to me that the dwarf pencilfish have no interest in eating fry once they hatch.

My Tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Added Angelfish to get a handle on my guppy problem. I got tired of hauling buckets of guppies to Petco who, in all likelihood sold them as feeder fish anyway.
After awhile I could finally separate out the males and females.

Can't say I recommend it..just was a "natural" way to deal w/ it.. Tank was heavily planted as well. so they had a chance at least..

Hmmm. Adding predators might not be the best idea..
http://theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Nann...ckfordi#Sexing
Seems easy enough to separate sexes..
got a Petco handy?

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Added Angelfish to get a handle on my guppy problem. I got tired of hauling buckets of guppies to Petco who, in all likelihood sold them as feeder fish anyway.
After awhile I could finally separate out the males and females.

Can't say I recommend it..just was a "natural" way to deal w/ it.. Tank was heavily planted as well. so they had a chance at least..
Luckily, these guys aren't as prolific as guppies, but the fry are starting to add up. I think I have 10 sub adults and at least 20-30 juveniles--no clue how many tiny fry may be hiding out.

I don't want to add anything that can take out the adults, which I feel will happen with something like an angel. I was thinking of some other small fish like neon, cardinals, or espei that could take out the majority of the small fry. I don't mind some surviving just because that will replenish the adult population as it ages.

My Tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Let them breed and give them away or sell them! We don’t see pencil fish a lot in our LFS.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:05 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would love to have your problem with pencils. They are some lucky fish.

Check out Golden Wonder Killi. I used to have them before for guppy fry control and they got butifull, fat, lazy and ... 3"+.
I just got 2 from my LFS and they look slightly different from my old ones and the owners swears they will be 2" max. We will see.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Pencils are awesome fish. You can go ahead and ship me all the ones you donít want😉.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Just a noob

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Other small tetras may be of use. My cardinals go crazy eating diamond tetra eggs for example. But I am not sure they are the best hunters. The babies wouldn't have to get very big for them to no longer view them as food. A larger tetra (like the aforementioned diamonds) might do a better job.

That said I have a similar problem dealing with baby kribensis and the fish I added to eat them get a few but not as many as I would like.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
pencils should be fairly easy to rehome. look up your local aquarium club lot of people love em for apisto dithers.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
pencils should be fairly easy to rehome. look up your local aquarium club lot of people love em for apisto dithers.
Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner! I'll gladly come net those puppies and give them a new home

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I would love to have your problem with pencils. They are some lucky fish.

Check out Golden Wonder Killi. I used to have them before for guppy fry control and they got butifull, fat, lazy and ... 3"+.
I just got 2 from my LFS and they look slightly different from my old ones and the owners swears they will be 2" max. We will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Pencils are awesome fish. You can go ahead and ship me all the ones you don’t want��.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanxj View Post
Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner! I'll gladly come net those puppies and give them a new home
Add me to that list for some dwarf pencilfish too!

Where are you located @loveflying1991 ?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow! I didn't realize my question would go down this route. Honestly, I am not interested in selling fish right now--too much hassle. I may reconsider at a later time, but for now I am just trying manage the population of pencilfish. If I change my mind, I guess I know where to look for interested people.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the discussion.

My Tank Journal
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Planted Member

General any fish that is a carnivore will eat another fish as long the can catch it and it fits in it's mouth
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I used to keep my endler's in check with a betta. He was kind of chill for a betta so he didn't cause complete anihilation. Seems he got only the slow and stupid.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveflying1991 View Post
Honestly, I am not interested in selling fish right now . . .
Then don't sell them, just give them away.

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 AM
Planted Member

I would like some pencilfish, my LFS never has them.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode