Electric Blue German Rams Fight, Then Hang Out Together? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just picked up a couple of electric blue german rams the other day. Got one, then went back and got another the next day. I have no experience with them, so I kind of just guessed the sexes and tried to get a male and a female. Seeing them together now though, they look about the same lol.

Anyway, they totally ignored each other the first day. Then my wife sent me a video of them fighting while I was at work the next day. Just circling each other and rubbing up against each other. Some lip locking, nipping, and chasing. I came home after work expecting the worst, but they were actually hanging out with each other. They hung out together for a few hours, then did a less intense scrap again. A few minutes later, they were hanging out again. After I turned the lights off, they went after each other again for a bit. What's going on here? Are they just feeling each other out and deciding who the boss is? I'm pretty sure they are both males, but I wouldn't expect them to hang out together peacefully if that's the case.

I tried to upload the video to youtube to share here, but it's just sitting there and refusing to upload.

Managed to get it to upload.

https://youtu.be/uJbCpRQ5N-s

fish

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

How big is your aquarium?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

38 gallons.

fish

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm not saying its definite, but ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by vanish; 04-02-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: letf out the word NOT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
That thought did enter my mind, and it does look like really similar behavior. My wife says they have been hanging out together all morning, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I did manage to get a male and female and they immediately paired off. They really look the same to me though but I guess we'll see.

fish
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Planted Member

I'd put six or seven fish in a tank that size. You'll almost definitely get some spawning behavior.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Both males 99%
fighting 99%

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Both males 99%
fighting 99%
I was inclined to say the same. Tank looks like it has enough line of sight breaks that they males could ignore each other. But sometimes fish look for a fight! If @Madrigal77 can find some females to add to the mix that might help.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would regular German Ram females work? Reason being is the place I got the electrics is a chain store and I don't trust the workers there ability to sex them. I do have a good LFS that has regular rams though that I can trust their sexing ability.

fish
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrigal77 View Post
Would regular German Ram females work? Reason being is the place I got the electrics is a chain store and I don't trust the workers there ability to sex them. I do have a good LFS that has regular rams though that I can trust their sexing ability.

Well nothing is a definite in this hobby. But that should work out fine.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went to the LFS but unfortunately they only have males. I think I'm ok for now though as I haven't seen any aggression at all after the first couple of days. They just hang out peacefully now. I'm sure that might change as they mature, but I feel safe to take my time to find some females.

fish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode