Fish Tuberculosis in Tank. What should I do with the rest of the stock? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Olskule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish Tuberculosis in Tank. What should I do with the rest of the stock?

I have a Gourami that I believe has Tuberculosis.
He started with a single cyst on his mouth and now it appears that he is developing a curvature of the spine.

So euthanizing seems like the logical choice for my poor fish, but from what I've read, the disease is very contagious so what do I do wit the rest of my stock?

I have a clown pleco, a small hand full of snails, and 3 ottos.
Also I have red leafed ludwigia, a large sword, anubias, and a red tiger lotus growing in organic soil substrate.

None of the other fish have any signs of distress or disease and is there a way to salvage plants sharing an infected tank?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Although Mycobactrium is not impossible and definitely out there many disease have curved spine..
The fact alone that the infected fish is gourami leads me in a whole different direction...
Look into Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus [DGI]..
I will bet this is the issue simply because it is way more common and over 25% of the gouramis from Asia are already infected before they even ship them..The signs for DGI can take up to year to present so many don't want to think their gourami is the sole culprit.....
Euth the fish and keep a close eye on tank... Just my opinion....

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wasn't aware of DGI or the 25% factor–thanks for the info, C-Bandit, I hope it's just that and not tuberculosis.

That sounds likely, BUT...if there is a chance that it is fish tuberculosis, that can be transmitted to you, especially if you have even a tiny scratch on your skin that comes into contact with the water, so take proper precautions, as in long gloves, tongs other tools that keep your hands out of the water (don't cross-contaminate your other tanks with shared unsterilized tools), and be sure to wash your hands/arms after dealing with that tank.

That could be paranoid overkill, but, hey, why risk it if you think there's a chance that it is tuberculosis?

Good luck with whatever it is.

Olskule
Coralbandit and Coralbandit like this.

"May the Fish be with you."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

In no way under play safety if you think TB is in play.
I highly recommend looking for articles from Dr. Adrian Lawler on mycobacterium marinum .
He isn't just a fish head "Dr." who knows a lot , but also infected for years now ! The treatment people require is very intense / difficult with antibiotics being used [to start] for a average 3+ months...
It is real and not unseen in this hobby although IMO most case develop in old neglected tanks with old weak fish..

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Although Mycobactrium is not impossible and definitely out there many disease have curved spine..
The fact alone that the infected fish is gourami leads me in a whole different direction...
Look into Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus [DGI]..
I will bet this is the issue simply because it is way more common and over 25% of the gouramis from Asia are already infected before they even ship them..The signs for DGI can take up to year to present so many don't want to think their gourami is the sole culprit.....
Euth the fish and keep a close eye on tank... Just my opinion....
I've had fish that developed curved spine in the past and it was horribly sad to watch them waste away so I went ahead and euthanized my Gourami...

I'll look more into other possible diseases that cause curvature simply because the cyst on my fish didn't match up with those found on fish affected with TB. Just overly cautious because tb can apparently resemble non human transferable diseases like hole-in-the-head.

As far as DGI...I don't think that was a culprit? He had a cauliflower looking cyst on his lip that would flake of and regrow that responded well to salt baths but ultimately regrew bigger and started to deform his mouth. He had no abdominal swelling, ate like a pig in spite of the cyst, and had full coloration till the end (which makes me wonder if it wasn't tb since that causes acute anemia). He didn't develop any symptoms until 4 months after purchase which is in line with both TB and DGI unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice and the input. I'm going to do more research and continue to keep an eye on my tank.
If the others develop any TB symptoms I'm going to take it as a loss and wipe and start again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
I wasn't aware of DGI or the 25% factor–thanks for the info, C-Bandit, I hope it's just that and not tuberculosis.

That sounds likely, BUT...if there is a chance that it is fish tuberculosis, that can be transmitted to you, especially if you have even a tiny scratch on your skin that comes into contact with the water, so take proper precautions, as in long gloves, tongs other tools that keep your hands out of the water (don't cross-contaminate your other tanks with shared unsterilized tools), and be sure to wash your hands/arms after dealing with that tank.

That could be paranoid overkill, but, hey, why risk it if you think there's a chance that it is tuberculosis?

Good luck with whatever it is.

Olskule
Human infections of Fish TB looks horrible, but from the various accounts I've been reading it sounds like the disease is pretty difficult to contract unless you are playing in tanks with large wounds or abrasions on your arms or hands. Most folks that had confirmed cases of it had rather large wounds on there hands upon contracting the disease. One infected person that stands out in my mind had a massive cut underneath a wedding band which is a contaminate nightmare. Washing hands isn't enough to sanitize because alot of diamond rings have nice caverns (makes the stones sparkle) that acts like cradles for germs.

That doesn't mean I'm going to be flippant with safety though.
I will be using rubber gloves and washing then bathing my hands and fore arms in hand sanitizer when doing maintenance on my tank for the time being.

The more I read into the disease the more I'm unsure of the diagnosis but I will be careful until I'm sure.
Thanks for the input and the concern.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-02-2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
tuberculosis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode