Pea Puffers Not eating Frozen Food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Pea Puffers Not eating Frozen Food

So I have two pea puffers in a fluval spec V, heavily planted ( the journal in my signature has plenty of pics). One went in about a month ago and the other went in about a week ago, one female one male. They seem happy and healthy, but they arent eating the frozen bloodworms I offer! I've been offering a few pieces every 2-3 days, but I've only seen one of them go after food, and it was only twice.

Now, on the same token, I noticed that before I added fish (probably six+ weeks after flooding) there was a MASSIVE invertebrate population, probably introduced via plants from well established aquariums. Now this doesnt bother me at all, in fact I think its great, and I've seen both fish actively 'hunting' around the tank, which is pretty cool to watch.

Does it seem possible or probable to you guys that these little fellows are feeding themselves? My suspicion is that eventually they're going to decimate the invert population to the point where they can't sustain themselves anymore, especially if I end up adding anymore of them.

Let me know what you think!

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Yes and yes.

They prefer moving/living foods and probably much prefer snails to frozen worms.

I think they're very finicky abt food. In fish stores, they get flakes and maybe some frozen worms/brine shrimps, which explains why they're often very skinny as they don't eat those things unless they starve.

At home, I feed them exclusively live blackworms and occasional live brine shrimps. Those who might have shown a hint of interest in frozen bloodworms right after being bought from a fish store would quickly just go after live stuff a couple days later.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The woman working at the fish store (it was pacific down in chinatown) mentioned she had been feeding frozen bloodworms. I must have spoiled them with the invert schmorgazboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtu2004 View Post
Yes and yes.

At home, I feed them exclusively live blackworms and occasional live brine shrimps. Those who might have shown a hint of interest in frozen bloodworms right after being bought from a fish store would quickly just go after live stuff a couple days later.
Can I order brine shrimp online? Is it difficult to culture them or blackworms.

My tanks:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
The woman working at the fish store (it was pacific down in chinatown) mentioned she had been feeding frozen bloodworms. I must have spoiled them with the invert schmorgazboard.

Can I order brine shrimp online? Is it difficult to culture them or blackworms.
Petland discounts usually have both. Cheap too. I'd get the smallest portions.

But the guy at Aquastar has fresher blackworms. Downside is he gives you slightly less for the similar price, plus he runs out often.

I think you mean 123 Aquarium on Elizabeth? Pacific has no woman. I was at Pacific last night and there was a big fat puffer for $6. Had to fight myself not to get it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Petland discounts usually have both. Cheap too. I'd get the smallest portions.

But the guy at Aquastar has fresher blackworms. Downside is he gives you slightly less for the similar price, plus he runs out often.

I think you mean 123 Aquarium on Elizabeth? Pacific has no woman. I was at Pacific last night and there was a big fat puffer for $6. Had to fight myself not to get it.

No I mean pacific on Delancy street! There's a russian woman there a lot, I dont know her name.

Was it a pea puffer or a green spot puffer? I don't have the room for anything bigger than a pea puffer right now

Also which petland do you go to? I was thinking of trying the one on the upper west side, which is near me in harlem.

My tanks:

Last edited by cbachmann; 01-26-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: format
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No I mean pacific on Delancy street! There's a russian woman there a lot, I dont know her name.

Was it a pea puffer or a green spot puffer? I don't have the room for anything bigger than a pea puffer right now

Also which petland do you go to? I was thinking of trying the one on the upper west side, which is near me in harlem.
Oh I see. I've not seen a woman there but I hadn't visited Pacific for 3 months until yesterday. And it's a pea puffer. Bigger than anything in the same tank by 30-40%. She stood out and very cute.

I buy at the petland near me on W23rd. But I believe all Petlands carry live blackworms + live brine shrimps. You have to ask though. They have live blackworms in a container under the register.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Oh I see. I've not seen a woman there but I hadn't visited Pacific for 3 months until yesterday. And it's a pea puffer. Bigger than anything in the same tank by 30-40%. She stood out and very cute.

I buy at the petland near me on W23rd. But I believe all Petlands carry live blackworms + live brine shrimps. You have to ask though. They have live blackworms in a container under the register.
I just tired the blackworms, they didnt seem have that much interest... do you chop them up?

My tanks:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I just tired the blackworms, they didnt seem have that much interest... do you chop them up?
Live blackworms? A couple of mine weren't initially interested, but yes, you can try to pinch them into smaller bite size pieces with chopsticks or something, if you are Asian. If you're not Asian, I can't help.

Now they just take the entire blackworm 5x the length of their body and run away with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Live blackworms? A couple of mine weren't initially interested, but yes, you can try to pinch them into smaller bite size pieces with chopsticks or something, if you are Asian. If you're not Asian, I can't help.

Now they just take the entire blackworm 5x the length of their body and run away with it.
Lol Alright, maybe ill give that a shot. They just completely ignored the live blackworms. Maybe they just arent that hungry, been feeding themselves too well?

My tanks:

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I read someone once got their puffers eating other foods by displaying snails outside the tank, then dropping the alternate food in the tank ( I think it was frozen bloodworms.)

I know if I'm not hungry I'm less likely to try foods I don't know. "The difference between good food and bad food is three days without food." Very true for humans; if you get your fish hungry they might learn to eat other foods.

Cheers,
Wanna Puff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode