29 gallon stocking? Puffers and Kuhli Loaches - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 gallon stocking? Puffers and Kuhli Loaches

I'm getting a 29 gallon today and I need advice on stocking! I know I want dwarf puffers (pea puffers?) and Kuhli Loaches. I was also thinking about having some shrimp and/or snails. Does anyone have any advice on these?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have/had both.
Ask away
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Dwarf puffers are predators and WILL eat your shrimp and snails even the large species. Make sure your tank is densely planted and fully cycled beofre adding dwarf puffers, they don't do well with fish-in cycling (delicate). If you get multiple puffers you need the ton of line of sight break up to help diffuse aggression amongst puffers (may be fine together as juries but as adults they get territorial.
Have not kept khuli laochs but read they do well in groups, like hiding places (like under driftwood) and so well in sand or non rough/large gravel

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I Have dwarf puffers and amazon puffers. Amazon are much more docile and a bit bigger plus better in groups.
My dwarf puffers were fine, my buddies were jerks. Ive housed mine with other fish fine and had both in a 5 gallon planted together. Im currently moving my surviving dwarf to my 55 with my amazons because the new betta he shares with is a jerk and harrasses him.
I have never seen my puffers go after larger snails. I have had mystery and nerites with no issue. I have also had shrimp with them. For the most part these fish are pretty smart and wont go after something they cant outright eat. I have seen my dwarfs eating a DEAD ghost shrimp but it was already dead so who knows. if you have a 29 you will be fine with Id say 3 dwarfs. They will leave the khulis alone for the most part, but again EVERY puffer is way different in my experiance and its always a crapshoot.
The line of site bit is true as for almost all fish. I believe my 5 gallon pea puffer tank is in my gallery if you want to see it and they have been in there happy for a couple years. Its a shame I lost one but after a water change I forgot to plug back in my heater and one got VERY stressed and sick. I was devastated honestly because when you interact with these fish and see how intelligent they really are its hard not to feel bad. My amazons will come right to the tank, eat from my hand and are great to watch. When I had them in my 29 they did nothing but glass surf all day. Also the amazon puffers are a pain because they need their teeth trimmed. In fact Im VERY late on that and actually noticed algae growing on one of their teeth!

If you have specific questions let me know, but again everyone who has had these fish probably have different experiances.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you! I got the Kuhli Loaches yesterday, they're in my twenty tank as the 29 cycles. I have a few plants in the 29 currently (about 7?), and sand substrate. Does anyone have any plants they prefer? I'm really bad with plants typically!

Do you think its better to get younger puffers then? The main place in town who sells them only really has adults, but another place can order them for me.

I've got six of the loaches. I'm probably going to move them over before I get the puffers, just to get them established and comfortable before the more aggressive fish go in!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayeze View Post
Thank you! I got the Kuhli Loaches yesterday, they're in my twenty tank as the 29 cycles. I have a few plants in the 29 currently (about 7?), and sand substrate. Does anyone have any plants they prefer? I'm really bad with plants typically!

Do you think its better to get younger puffers then? The main place in town who sells them only really has adults, but another place can order them for me.

I've got six of the loaches. I'm probably going to move them over before I get the puffers, just to get them established and comfortable before the more aggressive fish go in!
Id get them small. mine were near invisible when I got them. I think they spend more time huddled when young, then branch out. Plants will depend on your light and whether your using co2 or not

Tags
29 gallon aquarium, dwarf puffer, kuhli loach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode