Chilli Rasboras alongs with Apistos? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By TropicalAquarist
  • 4 Post By irishspy
  • 4 Post By Maclyri
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 223
Chilli Rasboras alongs with Apistos?

Would it be fine to keep Chilli Rasboras with 2 pairs of Apistos (Borellii and Agassizii) in a 75 gallon medium-heavily planted tank. The Apistos will have their own caves/shady areas at the bottom of the tank. I do not want the Rasboras to end up as a good meal for the Apitsos.
vijay_06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Planted Member
 
TropicalAquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (34/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Atlanta GA, USA
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
Would it be fine to keep Chilli Rasboras with 2 pairs of Apistos (Borellii and Agassizii) in a 75 gallon medium-heavily planted tank. The Apistos will have their own caves/shady areas at the bottom of the tank. I do not want the Rasboras to end up as a good meal for the Apitsos.
I've never had a problem with apistos hurting small schooling fish, the rasboras are too fast for them. I kept endlers with some of my apistos, and there were always tons of fry in the tank!

However the rasboras may eat apisto fry...
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
TropicalAquarist is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
I've never had a problem with apistos hurting small schooling fish, the rasboras are too fast for them. I kept endlers with some of my apistos, and there were always tons of fry in the tank!

However the rasboras may eat apisto fry...
Thank you! I never thought about the possibility of Rasboras eating the fry. I am not too keen on breeding the Apistos and will see how things work out in the tank.
vijay_06 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Member
 
TropicalAquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (34/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Atlanta GA, USA
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
Thank you! I never thought about the possibility of Rasboras eating the fry. I am not too keen on breeding the Apistos and will see how things work out in the tank.


If you don't care about breeding, I'd rather go for slightly bigger fish. Those rasboras will disappear in a 75!

All kinds of tetras would look cool!
TropicalAquarist is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
If you don't care about breeding, I'd rather go for slightly bigger fish. Those rasboras will disappear in a 75!

All kinds of tetras would look cool!
I having 12 espei rasboras now (small fish again) and will be adding Cardinals and Emperor Tetras soon. 2 Pairs of Apistos are a must for me . Still deciding over 15 or so Chilis.
vijay_06 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
irishspy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, third door on the left
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
I having 12 espei rasboras now (small fish again) and will be adding Cardinals and Emperor Tetras soon. 2 Pairs of Apistos are a must for me . Still deciding over 15 or so Chilis.
Espeis and Chillis are similarly colored (reddish), if I remember right? A nice contrast with the espeis might be a large school of kubotai rasboras (bright green-yellow).

In a tank that size, I don't think the apistos would bother them at all.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
irishspy is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 212
How big are apisto fry? Chili rasboras have tiny mouths and are unable to eat even medium sized daphnia. They'll even spit out the larger sizes of golden pearls until they become soggy and they can "chew" them.

My concern is that if the apistos harass the chilis at all, they'll probably hide in the plants and you won't see them very often. Mine hide most of the day and the only thing chasing them are the CPDs I have in the tank. You might want to get something a bit less timid. But.. what you're asking can be done no problem.

Have you looked at Celestial Pearl Danios? They're about the same size, more outgoing and stunningly beautiful when full grown, they don't pop against plants like the Chilis do though.
Doppelgaenger is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Maclyri's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 366
I would think that the chilis would never be seen in that tank. They are shy to begin with, in that size and that amount of plants, they might be comfortable but I wouldn't expect to see them ever. Especially if you're only gonna be adding 15 or so of them. I second the kubotai suggestion, I have some and they are awesome, always out front schooling. Don't ever bother anyone else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

using this hobby as an excuse to procrastinate
Maclyri is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome