• 2 Post By TropicalAquarist
  • 4 Post By irishspy
  • 4 Post By Maclyri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Chilli Rasboras alongs with Apistos?

Would it be fine to keep Chilli Rasboras with 2 pairs of Apistos (Borellii and Agassizii) in a 75 gallon medium-heavily planted tank. The Apistos will have their own caves/shady areas at the bottom of the tank. I do not want the Rasboras to end up as a good meal for the Apitsos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
Would it be fine to keep Chilli Rasboras with 2 pairs of Apistos (Borellii and Agassizii) in a 75 gallon medium-heavily planted tank. The Apistos will have their own caves/shady areas at the bottom of the tank. I do not want the Rasboras to end up as a good meal for the Apitsos.
I've never had a problem with apistos hurting small schooling fish, the rasboras are too fast for them. I kept endlers with some of my apistos, and there were always tons of fry in the tank!

However the rasboras may eat apisto fry...
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
I've never had a problem with apistos hurting small schooling fish, the rasboras are too fast for them. I kept endlers with some of my apistos, and there were always tons of fry in the tank!

However the rasboras may eat apisto fry...
Thank you! I never thought about the possibility of Rasboras eating the fry. I am not too keen on breeding the Apistos and will see how things work out in the tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Thank you! I never thought about the possibility of Rasboras eating the fry. I am not too keen on breeding the Apistos and will see how things work out in the tank.

If you don't care about breeding, I'd rather go for slightly bigger fish. Those rasboras will disappear in a 75!

All kinds of tetras would look cool!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
If you don't care about breeding, I'd rather go for slightly bigger fish. Those rasboras will disappear in a 75!

All kinds of tetras would look cool!
I having 12 espei rasboras now (small fish again) and will be adding Cardinals and Emperor Tetras soon. 2 Pairs of Apistos are a must for me . Still deciding over 15 or so Chilis.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I having 12 espei rasboras now (small fish again) and will be adding Cardinals and Emperor Tetras soon. 2 Pairs of Apistos are a must for me . Still deciding over 15 or so Chilis.
Espeis and Chillis are similarly colored (reddish), if I remember right? A nice contrast with the espeis might be a large school of kubotai rasboras (bright green-yellow).

In a tank that size, I don't think the apistos would bother them at all.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Planted Member

How big are apisto fry? Chili rasboras have tiny mouths and are unable to eat even medium sized daphnia. They'll even spit out the larger sizes of golden pearls until they become soggy and they can "chew" them.

My concern is that if the apistos harass the chilis at all, they'll probably hide in the plants and you won't see them very often. Mine hide most of the day and the only thing chasing them are the CPDs I have in the tank. You might want to get something a bit less timid. But.. what you're asking can be done no problem.

Have you looked at Celestial Pearl Danios? They're about the same size, more outgoing and stunningly beautiful when full grown, they don't pop against plants like the Chilis do though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would think that the chilis would never be seen in that tank. They are shy to begin with, in that size and that amount of plants, they might be comfortable but I wouldn't expect to see them ever. Especially if you're only gonna be adding 15 or so of them. I second the kubotai suggestion, I have some and they are awesome, always out front schooling. Don't ever bother anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

using this hobby as an excuse to procrastinate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode