Anyone have experience with Altum angelfish - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By farrenator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Anyone have experience with Altum angelfish

My local fish shop has some beautiful juvi altum angels in stock. I've always wanted to keep these but could never find them and they are expensive online. I have a newly cycled 46g bow front so I took 2 home on an impulse.

Long story short they apparently couldn't handle something in my tank even after being drip acclimated. Within 30 mins of being in the tank they were dead. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I want to try one more time but would like to make sure my water parameters are perfect so they have a better chance of thriving.

My water parameters as of yesterday were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~20ppm nitrate, pH 7.0, hardness unknown.. Temp 78 but I'll be increasing it to 80-82.

Other tank inhabitants are 4 cory's, 1 galaxy pleco, 2 German blue rams.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathBar View Post
My local fish shop has some beautiful juvi altum angels in stock. I've always wanted to keep these but could never find them and they are expensive online. I have a newly cycled 46g bow front so I took 2 home on an impulse.

Long story short they apparently couldn't handle something in my tank even after being drip acclimated. Within 30 mins of being in the tank they were dead. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I want to try one more time but would like to make sure my water parameters are perfect so they have a better chance of thriving.

My water parameters as of yesterday were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~20ppm nitrate, pH 7.0, hardness unknown.. Temp 78 but I'll be increasing it to 80-82.

Other tank inhabitants are 4 cory's, 1 galaxy pleco, 2 German blue rams.

If they are true altums it would be challenging... Temperature about 86 (forget about corrys), very low water conductivity and ph 5-6 (4.5 is ok too), nitrates bellow 5 (forget about plants). Very frequent water changes - 50% every day is fine. If you can't keep such ph level stable - UV is mandatory.
Group should be no less than 6, otherwise too aggressive to each other. Give them at least 80g tank, 24 " high minimum - they grow way bigger than scalares.
They would be wild caught - 1st month or two are critical. Make sure you deworm them after they start eating. Discus diet.
That's it! ☺

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:22 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoholic View Post
If they are true altums it would be challenging... Temperature about 86 (forget about corrys), very low water conductivity and ph 5-6 (4.5 is ok too), nitrates bellow 5 (forget about plants). Very frequent water changes - 50% every day is fine. If you can't keep such ph level stable - UV is mandatory.
Group should be no less than 6, otherwise too aggressive to each other. Give them at least 80g tank, 24 " high minimum - they grow way bigger than scalares.
They would be wild caught - 1st month or two are critical. Make sure you deworm them after they start eating. Discus diet.
That's it! ☺

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Mostly I agree, but sterbai cories are ok (and one other type, once again I don't remember which). Plants can be kept with nitrates around 5, it's a demanding task to balance everything, but it's possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the response. Sounds like these guys just won't be a good fit for me. I read they be kept like discus but have also seen people supposedly keep them in a planted community tank with "normal" water parameters, Maybe they were not true Altums though.

Here is a picture of the ones they had at my lfs.

I think I'll just have to go with the usual p. Scalare angels.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Eh, there's a guy on TAFII who has a group in a planted tank. Not sure how many he has, or what kind of plants. Current tank is 125. Not sure if he plans to move them again or reduce population. They get a lot bigger than regular angels so the best one could call a 46 is a grow-out.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:19 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Normal p. Scalare are beautiful too, less demanding, less aggressive, smaller. Maybe not so elegant, but pretty.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Good compromise are 'Dantum' angels. Just google that term and you will find the seller based in the USA. I raised some of the 'wild' type and some of the albinos (didn't care for those). I had them in my planted tank. They grew very fast and seemed quite hearty. However, I had a dwarf cichlid that croaked for some reason and I didn't catch it in time. The ammonia spike did them in overnight but I bet that if that dwarf hadn't died in the middle of a dense patch of crypts the Dantums would still be alive. I may give them another shot some day. VERY nice looking fish with long fins and a nice blue sheen. For sure better than any Scalares I have seen in the local shops.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Actually altums lose that long flowing fin look with age. Still pretty but they look a lot less...special...as adults and if it weren't for their coloring and size you'd think they were just regular silver angels.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Good compromise are 'Dantum' angels. Just google that term and you will find the seller based in the USA. I raised some of the 'wild' type and some of the albinos (didn't care for those). I had them in my planted tank. They grew very fast and seemed quite hearty. However, I had a dwarf cichlid that croaked for some reason and I didn't catch it in time. The ammonia spike did them in overnight but I bet that if that dwarf hadn't died in the middle of a dense patch of crypts the Dantums would still be alive. I may give them another shot some day. VERY nice looking fish with long fins and a nice blue sheen. For sure better than any Scalares I have seen in the local shops.
Thanks for the recommendation!! I think the angels I got might have been dantums judging by the price (only 14.99) and they had albino ones listed too. Plus they were all the same size which makes me think they are not wild caught.

I also found that angelfish USA/discus USA is close enough to me for local pick up so I can get some from them in the future.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yup, that is the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathBar View Post
Thanks for the recommendation!! I think the angels I got might have been dantums judging by the price (only 14.99) and they had albino ones listed too. Plus they were all the same size which makes me think they are not wild caught.

I also found that angelfish USA/discus USA is close enough to me for local pick up so I can get some from them in the future.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The Dantums are gorgeous. I had one with some gorgeous Pinoy Ghosts I think?? Man they were stunning... Lost all of them in a move... I would stare at them constantly. The variety available for Angels is incredible.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 AM

12 Altums

I've got 12 orinoco altums in a planted tank. PH 7.5, hard water, and about 20ppm nitrates. I've got 6 semi adults...I'd put them about 12-18 months old, and 6 that I would put at 6-8 months old. I have them in a 110 tall.

The 6 older angels range in size, with the largest being the size of a full grown scalare. The juvi are about silver dollar size (body).

I'm not finding them too difficult, at least not like the internet says. The came in scared (I got 6 semi adults) and sat in the importer's tank for 3 weeks. I took them home, and they weren't "right." Breathing heavy, clamped fins, but no visible signs of illness. After about 2 weeks, they broke out in fungus. Really bad, really quick. They went from fine at 9am to badly funguses at 9pm.

2 weeks of meds (kanplex in food, monocyclene in the water) and they were good to go. They've got their colour, they've calmed down, and now come to the tank when I come over.

They're very sensitive to light and shadows. It's improved since I got them, but very little. I had to wake them up over 30 mins by turning on the farthest lights in the room before I got a LED that simulates sunrise/sunset.

Happy to answer any questions. Use to run the fish room in a fish store many years ago, and have only seen these guys in the hobby 5 times. I bought them last time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3625 (1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	847857  

Last edited by Altumguy; 04-19-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Adding picture
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 AM
Algae Grower

That's all good if it maintains like that. In a vacuum the volume is too small for your bio-load. Your volume will likely hold 4 of those animals long term. Unless you have a 300 gallon reservoir/sump....
Or you perform an appropriate, 50% water change every week.

Plus, it looks like (according to your plant growth), that you just now set that tank up. If it's just a fish only tank, then why are you here on a Planted tank site? Fish only is as easy as it gets. My sister bred platys on accident when she was 9 years old.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-19-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:34 AM
Planted Member

Amano kept them in tanks with a pH of 7. For best results, use tons of DW, leaf litter, heavy filter, and blackwater.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:42 AM

In this photo is not a true P. Altum. It is a juvenile P. Scalare Rio Naynay. I know quite a bit about Altums if anyone needs help. Thanks, Thomas

Bump:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode