Stocking level for 75 gallon heavily planted aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Stocking level for 75 gallon heavily planted aquarium

I am planning to go with below livestock for my future 75 gallon heavily planted aquarium. The tank will be supplemented with pressurized CO2 (possibly via a CO2 reactor) and Fluval FX6. Substrate will be 2-3 inches of Black Diamond blasting sand. Tank will also have a big piece of Malaysian Driftwood. Plan is to do EI dosing and 40-50% water change every week.

7 Cardinal Tetras
7 Harlequin Rasboras
7 Emperor Tetras
5 Denisoni Barbs
2 German Blue Rams
5 Red Wag Platy
10-12 Amano Shrimps
10-12 Nerite Snails

A few Malaysian Trumpet Snails along with a few Assassin Snails to control MTS population explosion
5-6 Otocinclus

Would this be too much livestock? Also, should I keep some things in mind when I start adding these (such as the order of adding these livestock, compatibility, etc)?

I have a 10 gallon heavily planted tank for a year now with just 7 Cardinals, 4 Amano shrimps and a couple of Nerite Snails. I just use my tap water which is around 3 KH and 5-6 GH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is going to be pretty close to max, IMO, but I am just a budding enthusiast, so take that (and the rest of the thoughts) with a grain of salt.

There are two other issues that I see apart from stocking levels. The first is that the rams may munch on the shrimp. The 2nd is to accommodate all of these speceis the temp and ph range is going to have to be really really narrow. In fact, the rams may want it warmer than the platys and rasboras really like.

That sure would be a fun tank with a lot of variety though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolba View Post
This is going to be pretty close to max, IMO, but I am just a budding enthusiast, so take that (and the rest of the thoughts) with a grain of salt.

There are two other issues that I see apart from stocking levels. The first is that the rams may munch on the shrimp. The 2nd is to accommodate all of these speceis the temp and ph range is going to have to be really really narrow. In fact, the rams may want it warmer than the platys and rasboras really like.

That sure would be a fun tank with a lot of variety though!
Thank you! This is the first time I am learning about Rams eating shrimps. I do see many posts on the internet about the same. Might have to take the shrimps off the stocking list.

I did have a few rasboras in my ten gallon for 3-4 weeks at 78 to 81 degree F. They did really well, but had to return them to the LFS for a different reason. Platys are on the bottom of my fish list and I can do without those as well.

I will research more about the temp and ph range for all these species. I do expect the pH to vary between 6.2 to 7.2 since I will be injecting CO2.

Appreciate the inputs!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Aquadvisor is a good tool to use. A 75g is the absolute minimum I would house any amount of Denison barbs in. They are very active swimmers and I absolutely loved mine in my 75g. They are stunning. I don't see much aside from shrimp snacks and being on the top of the stocking spectrum.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Aquadvisor is a good tool to use. A 75g is the absolute minimum I would house any amount of Denison barbs in. They are very active swimmers and I absolutely loved mine in my 75g. They are stunning. I don't see much aside from shrimp snacks and being on the top of the stocking spectrum.
Thanks for the inputs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode