• 8 Post By ichthyogeek
  • 2 Post By TropicalAquarist
  • 4 Post By Maclyri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Pygmy cories in shrimp tank

Hi, I'm going to add some Pygmy cories to my 10 gallon planted shrimp tank. I've ordered two different types, 3 Habrosus & 6 Pygmaeus. According to the stocking calculator it's ok to add all 9 to the tank, is that correct? If I keep it heavily planted (java moss, crypt wendtii, java fern, anacharis, anubia, cobomba) with cholla wood do you think the shrimp will be ok, meaning will they not be eaten or stressed? Thanks.

Last edited by harley; 04-05-2017 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Clarification ☺
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a nano community that's heavily planted with pygmys, habrosus, kubotai rasboras, and cherry shrimp. Everyone is great. I also have the aquaclear 20 on the tank and do a 30% water change every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harley and harley like this.

using this hobby as an excuse to procrastinate
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Corys aren't carnivorous, they are herbivores. they only eat plants and vegetation. (they wont eat your java fern or anything) Feed them sinking pellets, not meat, that is a high grade and they should be fine. Idk about nine in a 10 gallon because I have never housed specifically pygmy corys, but im presuming that is fine since Maclyri said it is, she has kept them before as said in nano tanks.
You should be fine stocking wise. But for stocking after those pygmy's I'd say the only other fish you could add if you plan on doing so is chili rasboras (types). And just to clarify, your shrimp wont be consumed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Corys aren't carnivorous, they are herbivores. they only eat plants and vegetation. (they wont eat your java fern or anything) Feed them sinking pellets, not meat, that is a high grade and they should be fine. Idk about nine in a 10 gallon because I have never housed specifically pygmy corys, but im presuming that is fine since Maclyri said it is, she has kept them before as said in nano tanks.
You should be fine stocking wise. But for stocking after those pygmy's I'd say the only other fish you could add if you plan on doing so is chili rasboras (types). And just to clarify, your shrimp wont be consumed.
Uhhh....Corydoras are carnivores, they thrive off of blackworms and daphnia if given the chance, and quickly get rid of copepods in a tank. Maybe you mean otos?

Your shrimp should be fine, you might get fewer shrimplets due to the cories, but aside from that, the sheer number of shrimp and plant matter shouldn't be drastically affected. 9 dwarf corys isn't really that much bioload in an aquarium, so you're good, but if you want to keep having shrimplets, I'd stop there, at least for now.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
Uhhh....Corydoras are carnivores, they thrive off of blackworms and daphnia if given the chance, and quickly get rid of copepods in a tank. Maybe you mean otos?

Your shrimp should be fine, you might get fewer shrimplets due to the cories, but aside from that, the sheer number of shrimp and plant matter shouldn't be drastically affected. 9 dwarf corys isn't really that much bioload in an aquarium, so you're good, but if you want to keep having shrimplets, I'd stop there, at least for now.
I have my corys in a shrimp tank and I have cherrys (pure) by the hundreds. Especially with those smaller ones, increasing the chances even more IMO of your baby shrimps safety. Plus corys (imo) are more nocturnal then they are out in the day. Also I thought they where pure herbivores? will have to go ahead and do some research, I have mine living off of a all natural diet, of "herbivore food."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
I have to agree with @ichthyogeek

Cories are scavengers and will eat dead fish, as well as "meat." given the chance they will eat baby shrimplets, but they tend to leave adults alone (they don't have teeth). They should be in fine in your tank @OP!
harley and harley like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry, I meant to state that my community is also 10 gallon. 5 habrosus, 3 Pygmy, 6 kubotai, and a betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

using this hobby as an excuse to procrastinate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode