• 2 Post By NickAu
  • 2 Post By Nordic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gill Fluke or Ammonia Burn?

Hello,

I have a pair of female Guppies and their fry in a 5 gallon planted. One of the female has red gills, and she rubs against plants every now and then. Some of the fry rub against the plants too, they're still too small for me to get a good look at their gills. I'm not sure if it's gill fluke or ammonia burn. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Other inhabitants
Pond Snails
1 Ramshorn

Water Perimeter
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 maybe 0.25...lets say say .25 to be safe.
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

Are they gasping for air? Gill flukes usually have fish gasping for air at the surface. Are the fish new or did you add anything to the tank recently?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They're not gasping. I've had the two female fish for 3 weeks. I finished a one week treatment for a fungal infection yesterday, I used Pimafix. Compared to when I first got them, they're much more active now. I also do water changes every 4-5 days if that helps.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie3C View Post
Hello,

I have a pair of female Guppies and their fry in a 5 gallon planted. One of the female has red gills, and she rubs against plants every now and then. Some of the fry rub against the plants too, they're still too small for me to get a good look at their gills. I'm not sure if it's gill fluke or ammonia burn. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Other inhabitants
Pond Snails
1 Ramshorn

Water Perimeter
pH: 7.4
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
How long have you had your 5 gallon tank? The parameters indicate that it isn't cycled, but I could be wrong depending on how long you have had your tank. You should have some nitrates if the tank is cycled.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
The only safe level is zero.

What sort of water conditioner are you using?
How often do you change water?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAu View Post
Quote:

NickAu: .25ppm could be a false reading when the reading is really zero. I have .25ppm of ammonia in my 5.5 gallon and have had it for a while. So .25ppm is okay, as long as it stays there and doesn't go up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl77 View Post
So .25ppm is okay.
Then 1ppm is ok as long as it doesn't fluctuate right? by what your saying? No, 0ppm is ok. if it is a "false reading" which you don't know, the OP I suggest gets a better testing kit, personally I use API test kits, work fine on my part.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Quote:
So .25ppm is okay.
Then 1ppm is ok as long as it doesn't fluctuate right? by what your saying? No, 0ppm is ok. if it is a "false reading" which you don't know, the OP I suggest gets a better testing kit, personally I use API test kits, work fine on my part.
First of all, the liquid API test kits are the best. Yes, test kits can give a false reading, doesn't mean they are bad, unless they are expired.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
First of all, the liquid API test kits are the best.
Well actually no, the API kit cant tell the difference between Ammonia ( toxic to fish ) and Ammonium ( not as toxic )
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by NickAu; 03-14-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: .
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
How long have you had your 5 gallon tank? The parameters indicate that it isn't cycled, but I could be wrong depending on how long you have had your tank. You should have some nitrates if the tank is cycled.
The tank has been set up since early last summer. The tank is planted plus I have a pathos in my HOB, so that may explain the low nitrate levels (just a guess though).

Bump:
Quote:

I use Topfin Water Conditioner and I do water changes every 4-5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I used an API testing kit but the color of the water kind of matched both 0 and 0.25.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-14-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I use Topfin Water Conditioner and I do water changes every 4-5 days.
Thats fine.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

To monitor ammonia in my tanks I alway use Seachem - Ammonia Alert they actually work.
Quote:
Ammonia Alert® is an innovative color device for continuously detecting and monitoring toxic free ammonia. A sensor changes reversibly from yellow to green to blue, relative to the ammonia concentration

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't be shy to do an extra water change the moment they do funny stuff like rubbing on the rocks and plants.
Add 1 level teaspoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons. I normally dump my salt straight in the filter to kill off some pathogens while it dissolves.

make sure to use a good dechlorinator like Prime or something that explicitly say it can fix chloramines as well as free chlorine

The horrible truth is, 5 gal is too little to even raise baby guppy fry in. Maybe spend a tenner on a dollar a gallon sale. It will be able to go at least 5 days without needing water changes.
With fry, nitrates are a serious concern, and that is why they need constant clean water, or they won't grow.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thats fine.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

To monitor ammonia in my tanks I alway use Seachem - Ammonia Alert they actually work.
Ok thanks. The tap water had the same reading as the tank water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode