Betta Troubles - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta Troubles

Hey all,

My betta ("Creed") that I've had for over a year just started to show some signs of illness. One side of his body has some scales raised and kind of puffy looking, and the ends of his tail and bottom fin have some white crud on them, and are started to look a bit worn and thin at the ends. He is eating and displaying normally, but he might be a little lethargic (breathing heavy, not much stamina). He might be a touch bloated, or he's just a big guy, honestly not sure. I'll upload pictures if Creed will cooperate with me. I've never had a sick fish like this, so I'm looking for pointers on how to handle this trouble!

He is currently living in a planted 5.5g tank (heated and sponge filtered) w/ 1 horned nerite and 1 amano shrimp (shrimp added yesterday, and symptoms showed up that afternoon...). Both the inverts are doing well, really needed that shrimp to help with an algae problem. Had a bit of crypt melting for awhile, but is being managed.

Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates around 5-10 (it's planted, so that's pretty healthy). I don't think that's the root of the problem.

He was my first fish in the hobby, and his home has been upgraded from a beginners mistake of a 2g bowl in the past few months, and has done well through all my beginner mistakes. I'm honestly not super surprised he got some kind of disease, knowing what I know now about caring for fish. But I'm still upset that he's not looking too great.

I noticed this yesterday, and today when I saw it had gotten slightly worse today, I ordered some BettaFix and API Fungus Cure Powder. Are these the right move or nah? I just want to make sure my little guy is going to be alright, so any help is welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:47 AM
Banned

Alrighty so this is dropsy and what I think is ich congratulations your fish is going to die
jk
without proper care it will! so lets getcha fixed up!
To cure dropsy in a betta I recommend doing an immediate 50% WC (how much do you do weekly?)
but first before treatment what is the thing that caused this? Bacteria (mostly gram negative) lodge itself in the tissues of the fish, thus affecting the kidneys and causing the retention of fluid and water in the body. It is this fluid retention that causes the Betta to bloat. Many times, dropsy occurs because of the condition of the water in your aquarium. Dropsy I think and am pretty confident can spread to other fish, not sure if it can make a snail or shrimp sick though (I don't think so) antibiotic medicines can be used to to stop growth of the infection. Suitable medicines are Maracyn, Kanacyn, Neomycin, or tetracycline drugs and anti fungicides for treating the tank water for example. and adding salt to the aquarium can help alleviate your betta’s discomfort caused by bloating. Add half a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water is what I hear works.
heres a helpful link https://nippyfish.net/2009/09/18/cur...in-betta-fish/
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so if it is Dropsy, should I treat it in his tank? I can move the snail and shrimp to another tank for awhile, I'm just not too keen on putting the sick fish in an uncycled tank.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbeard View Post
Ok, so if it is Dropsy, should I treat it in his tank? I can move the snail and shrimp to another tank for awhile, I'm just not too keen on putting the sick fish in an uncycled tank.
add some of the already cycled tanks water or filter media..
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Should I treat in a hospital tank then?
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbeard View Post
Should I treat in a hospital tank then?
y e s
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got it. Just ordered "Fritz Aquatics 8 Count Mardel Maracyn 2 Treats" off of Amazon, will be here on Friday.

He isn't all that bloated, it's just some scales on one side of his body, and some damage to his fins, so I'm feeling better about his chances, seeing other cases and how he's not all that bad.

I got some epsom salts, and I'm planning on giving him a bath tomorrow if he does continue to bloat.

I did about a 30% water change yesterday, and a small one today too (~10%), so I think I'm going to leave the water alone for today, and change more tomorrow afternoon. I usually do 2 water changes a week, around 20-25% each, so a larger water change wouldn't shock him too much.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

I would move the snail and the shrimp into the other tank with the already cycled tanks filter media. Tank water has little to no beneficial bacteria in it, the beneficial bacteria is going to be on the filter media and the decorations and gravel. I see that you will get the meds on Friday. Until then, you can change the water every day, 50% water change every day. Bettas are used to water changes every day.

I agree with the dropsy diagnosis that your betta has. The white fluffy stuff on him, possibly is a fungus most likely. Try to get some pics of it, so I and others can be sure what it is. Ich is white spot. If you have Aquarisol, use it until you get stronger meds. The aquarisol will prevent the diseases from spreading. Also for bloat, fast your betta, he can go two weeks without food before succumbing to starvation. I would not use any of the Betta Fixes on any labyrinth fish. The oil will suffocate them and they will die.

What type of betta is he? I have a king betta, but I have had halfmoons, double tails, and veiltails. But I know the care for bettas pretty well.

I do know someone in Arkansas who is a betta expert, knows more than me.

Fish are not just pets, fish are family and should be treated like family.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sadly, I'm too late to stop you wasting money. The chance of you saving the fish is probably somewhere in the single digits.
You are going to spend more on the medicine than a couple of replacement fish. All it will do is extend the suffering until the fish gets so weak it can't reach the surface anymore and drown.

Sorry for your loss (in advance).

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Sadly, I'm too late to stop you wasting money. The chance of you saving the fish is probably somewhere in the single digits.
You are going to spend more on the medicine than a couple of replacement fish. All it will do is extend the suffering until the fish gets so weak it can't reach the surface anymore and drown.

Sorry for your loss (in advance).
Betta fish are pretty strong. They can wait a little for treatment if they have to. I have posted what FishBeard can do until the meds come in, as well as BettaBettas. Maybe my post has to be approved first before it is posted, but it has useful information.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Didn't see your post BabyGirl77... any chance you could try again? I could definitely use your knowledge!

Nordic, thanks for your input. I'm gonna try to help Creed out as much as I can, and if I fail, I can sleep easier knowing I didn't give up on the little guy. He deserves a chance at least. As for the money, these are things I should have anyway if things like this happen. So learning from this experience can help fish I have in the future.
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:02 AM
Algae Grower

Fishbeard: I posted something that you can do until you get the meds. I am going to try and remember what I wrote.

I would move the shrimp and snail to another tank with the filter media from the cycled tank.

50% water changes every day. Bettas can withstand water changes done every day. For the bloat, I would fast your betta. He can go two weeks before succumbing to starvation.

I agree with the dropsy diagnosis, but not the ich diagnosis. The white fluffy stuff is most likely fungus, and will need to be treated with an anti-fungus medication. If you have aquarisol, you can use it until the meds come in on Friday. I don't have experience with using salt with any fish.

Do not use any BettaFix or any other fixes on bettas, the oil will suffocate them. Bettas have a labyrinth organ and need to be able to take air from the surface of the water.

Filter media has the beneficial bacteria on it, as does the decorations and gravel. Tank water has little to no beneficial bacteria in it. So your best bet is to take the filter media from the cycled tank and place it into the uncycled tank. Although bettas can withstand an uncycled tank as long as you do 100% water changes every day. They are the only fish, I believe, that can be in uncycled tanks or be used while cycling a tank.

I know someone in Arkansas who is a betta expert, knows more than I do about bettas. Hopefully he is on this forum.

What type of betta do you have, Fishbeard? I have a king betta, I have had halfmoons, double tails, and veiltails. I would love to save them all.

I hope your betta feels better soon and it is good that he is still acting normal, which means he isn't going to die anytime soon as long as there is something being done and you are fighting right along with him. Hope your betta gets better.

If you can please post pics, so I and others can see the white fluffy stuff.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

I am, but it isn't posting. I will try again, but if it doesn't go through I will message you the info.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Algae Grower

First: I would move the snail and shrimp to another tank with the filter media from the cycled tank. The beneficial bacteria are on the filter media, decorations, and gravel. Second: I agree with the diagnosis of dropsy, but not ich. I think the fluffy white stuff would most likely fungus infection. If you have aquarisol, I would treat with that until the meds come in. Third: For bloat, I would fast your betta for at least a few days. Bettas can go for two weeks without food before succumbing to starvation. Fourth: Do not use any of the fixes on bettas, the oil will suffocate them and they will die. Fifth: Your water parameters are very good, matter of fact they are excellent. Sixth: I have had no experience with salt treatment with any fish. Seventh: You can do 50% water changes every day, as bettas can withstand them. So I would do 50% water changes every day until the meds come in.

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Banned

Please post some close up photos of the Betta including 1 looking down onto the fish.

Without knowing what the fish is suffering from you should not be medicating it. A close up of the affected areas might shed some light on the illness.

Quote:
BettaFix
I am not a fan of this product.
kolet66 and kolet66 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
betta, help me, lethargic, sick betta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode