Betta Troubles - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you insist you will need to do the full kanamycin antibiotic treatment. Take care of how you dispose waste water from the tank.
It probably has a kidney infection going on as well as whatever that is on the body. The problem is that their organs are so delicate and only separated by 2 or 3 cells if they are lucky, so unarrested infections spread like wildfire.
An infected kidney could lead to a toasted swimbladder etc...
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

Oh, here is some hope for you, a little story about a clown loach that had three diseases at one time:

My biggest clown loach was at the surface of the tank one day, and I noticed that she had not one, not two, but three diseases. The diseases she had were: ich, fungus infection, and swim bladder disorder. She fought those three diseases with all her might. I fought right alongside her, I was not going to lose her without a fight. I treated the diseases one at a time. Treated the fungus infection first, because she never had it before, then after the treatment I did a water change and treated the ich, which took two rounds to get rid of. After treating the ich, I had to sit back and keep an eye on her as she was still at the surface of the tank. I saw her float in the water, not even moving, but still alive. It then dawned on me that she had swim bladder disorder. I quickly gave her peas, green beens, and any veggie that I had that she could have. I also did water changes, which seemed to help her, but she was back at the surface. After giving her veggies for a few days, she started feeling better, slowly. I continued to give her veggies until she was back to normal. It took three weeks for her to get better. While she was fighting the diseases, she saw that I was clearly very distraught about her being sick, she proceeded to hold a plastic leaf with her front fin, and also bite the stem of a plastic plant, which made me laugh. She did get better, she fought off the three diseases. I named her Baby Girl, she was 7 inches, and 8 years old.

So if a clown loach can fight off three diseases with the help of its owner, then your betta can fight off the diseases that it has with your help.

Fish are not just pets, fish are family and should be treated like family.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish can be tough sometimes, but dropsy is a bastard with these bettas when it gets hold. I've had one go through cycles of looking like it is healing then regressing, for over 6 months, before the inevitable death.
I tried EVERYTHING, and then a few old wife's cures.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

@Nordic: Yes, but Fishbeard's betta is fighting to stay alive, which is a good thing. He needs to fight right alongside it for it to have the best chance at surviving these diseases. If he gave up right now, I would think he would be devastated that he didn't do all that he could to try and save his betta. I would do everything I could to save my betta if he was sick like Fishbeard's betta.

@Fishbeard: Please do not give up on your betta. I hope you find my story about my clown loach inspiring and comforting. I will also fight right alongside you to try and get your betta feeling better.
ed.junior and ed.junior like this.

post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Listen, I know you mean well, I and better aquarists than myself have tried many times to save bettas when they get like this.
It NEVER ends well. The fish is going to suffer until it drowns. I would put it down humanely using some clove oil.
just saying at this point I'd have to agree with this. Either clover oil or rock to rock.
Honestly I know it may sound harsh (tbh doesn't matter) but it would be better for the owner to shed a tear rather than watching a fish slowly die over a weeks period :l that's just torture. which obviously isn't right.
Learn to let go @BabyGirl77

Last edited by BettaBettas; 03-14-2017 at 01:44 AM. Reason: .
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Maracyn Two just got here, gonna add it to his display tank, where I just did about a 40% water change. Inverts are staying in for now, just so I can get to treatment ASAP.

I'll update with progress.
BabyGirl77 and BabyGirl77 like this.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Algae Grower

@BettaBettas: A fish that is clearly fighting to stay alive is worth fighting to try and save it. I had a fish that was basically at death's door, but she fought to stay alive and I fought right alongside her, and she fought those diseases and lived for a few years after. So there is still hope for Fishbeard's betta to pull through these diseases, because it is fighting to stay alive.

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl77 View Post
@BettaBettas: A fish that is clearly fighting to stay alive is worth fighting to try and save it. I had a fish that was basically at death's door, but she fought to stay alive and I fought right alongside her, and she fought those diseases and lived for a few years after. So there is still hope for Fishbeard's betta to pull through these diseases, because it is fighting to stay alive.
that's a great motivational speech, im doing the best for the fish not the person caring for the fish. I gave my 2 cents I didn't ask a question.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower

@BettaBettas: No you aren't, because you are not seeing that the fish is fighting to stay alive. If you have seen that the fish is fighting to stay alive, you would be trying to help save this fish instead of suggesting euthanizing the fish. It may come to that, but it is better to try every possible way to save the fish, when the fish is fighting to stay alive.

post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl77 View Post
@BettaBettas: No you aren't, because you are not seeing that the fish is fighting to stay alive. If you have seen that the fish is fighting to stay alive, you would be trying to help save this fish instead of suggesting euthanizing the fish. It may come to that, but it is better to try every possible way to save the fish, when the fish is fighting to stay alive.
I hope you realize because a fish with a gaping hole in it that is still alive. doesn't mean its "fighting" to stay alive, pretty sure its more along the lines of "well im currently alive after this tragic incidint, what now"
I get your point on "save a fish when you have the chance", but when its over-its over. Also I said im doing "my best" I didn't again ask a question or ask for your opinion on that public statement.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm going to try some medication, and see if it works. His tank is probably cleaner than it's ever been (daily water changes will do that!), and he gets to snuggle in all his favorite plants. His quality of life is pretty good right now, and his behavior reflects that.

@BettaBettas, I appreciate the concern, but I can make that choice, and making it quickly is not the right route in this situation. I've put down pets before, and every avenue to keep the animal comfortable and alive should be considered. He seems a bit uncomfortable, so I will at least try to remedy it with Maracyn Two and some high fiber food for now, and maybe some other Maracyn if I get a chance. If that fails, and his condition does seem much worse, I will make the call. Being told repeatedly that I should put him down isn't exactly helpful. The first time, sure, I'm glad it was brought up. But now, it's just not helpful.

Thank you for everyone's time and effort, it's really appreciated. Hopefully I can make the right moves for Creed and he feels better soon.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

Now I also wanna know how this ends. Good luck man.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Planted Member

Really sorry to read this story, I'm rooting for your little guy. I want to believe that you are doing the right thing by doing everything in your power to help him out. If we're going to play "God" (pardon my colloquialism), best to play the benevolent one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey all, final update for this thread. Was out of town for less than 24 hours, and kept up the dosage of Maracyn Two, but it did not seem to help him at all.

I believe that it's fungal based on my research and various other opinions I've gathered. Overnight, his wound got a lot worse (wound covers most of his side, and his fins are ragged and fuzzy too), and his behavior has changed drastically. Don't know how much good a change in treatment would do at this point, he's very weak. I think the humane thing to do at this point is to take him out of his pain. Heading to the store to pick up clove oil now. Not a good day.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:41 AM
Banned

like I said if you want to do it, really humane, rock to rock buddy.

Tags
betta, help me, lethargic, sick betta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode