Do Gouramis get along with other Gouramis? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do Gouramis get along with other Gouramis?

Do Gouramis get along with other Gouramis?

I have 2 pearl gouramis in my 75 gallon tank for about a year and they get along pretty good.

If I add another pearl Gourami or another peaceful Gourami other than pearl, would this cause a problem in the tank?

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Planted Member

I had some trouble with a Blue Gourami but the pearls seem much melower
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMHO a 75 gallon tank is big enough to allow for two pairs of pearl gouramis. Also, you can safely add smaller peaceful gouramis, for example, honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna), thick-lipped gourami (Trichigaster labiosa), banded gourami (Trichogaster fasciata). Dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius) can be very aggressive despite his small size but you can try, just be prepared that it might not work out well. Same for other big gouramis (e.g. all these Trichopodus trichopterus varieties) - they may end up relatively peaceful or become a nightmare.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Chocolate Gouramis are very peaceful (and perhaps shy) gouramis, which are on the smallish side.
In a large enough tank, like yours, one would hope the Pearls wouldn't bother them.
Most gouramis are best kept clear of other gouramis.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
IMHO a 75 gallon tank is big enough to allow for two pairs of pearl gouramis. Also, you can safely add smaller peaceful gouramis, for example, honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna), thick-lipped gourami (Trichigaster labiosa), banded gourami (Trichogaster fasciata). Dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius) can be very aggressive despite his small size but you can try, just be prepared that it might not work out well. Same for other big gouramis (e.g. all these Trichopodus trichopterus varieties) - they may end up relatively peaceful or become a nightmare.
Do they always need to be added in pairs? If you have an odd number does this cause problems?

2 Pearl and 1 Honey for example?

Thanks

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That would be a bad match, you want to keep multiples of the honeys. Also, they are a bit more sensitive and require a bit more advanced care.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Chocolate Gouramis are very peaceful (and perhaps shy) gouramis, which are on the smallish side.
In a large enough tank, like yours, one would hope the Pearls wouldn't bother them.
Well, true, at least my pearls can't care less about chocolate gouramis BUT I'd really advise against them for a generic community tank. IMHO all Sphaerichthys and Parosphromenus species are compatible only with peaceful and slow fish (or they'll starve), and require very soft acidic water to be healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Do they always need to be added in pairs? If you have an odd number does this cause problems?
2 Pearl and 1 Honey for example?
In general it is better to add them in pairs or more females than males. IMHO bigger and more aggressive gourami species grown alone tend to become bullies, small and peaceful ones tend to hide. In particular case of honey gouramis, one will not work good - these gouramis like to be in groups, so better to buy smth. like 5-7 of them, one will probably be stressed out and will hide most of the time.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

To add to the above...whether gouramies get along with each other depends on whether they have the room and cover to get out of each other's hair. I have kept a lot of paradise fish in the past and found that, while pairs would usually get on fine in a 30 inch long tank, any more would stress each other to death even if they were not visibly fighting (which they seldom did after the first week, especially if purchased together). My only other anabantoids I have kept in any numbers are my current parosphromenus 'sentang' licorice gouramies; a male, two females, and 5 fry are sharing a cover-rich 5 gallon without any significant signs of stress or aggression (but again, licorice gouramies are bad beginner fish...need soft, acid water and live foods)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
They are territorial. Floating plants and tall stem plants can help break up sightlines.

I've got a single male Pearl in my 55g. He may stay single, not sure. One of my favorite fish.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	692554

He's coloring up more and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode