Good friend for dainty/S&P Corys - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By aquariumhobbyist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good friend for dainty/S&P Corys

I'm planning on stocking my 20 Gallon long tank with a herd of Salt and Pepper (aka Dainty) Corys and maybe some shrimp, red cherry, amano, not sure which yet, but a hardy species.

I have two problems that a third fish species might fix.
1) I need to ensure the population of both shrimp and fish doesn't explode, so something omnivorous that would eat eggs or tiny baby shrimp and fish fry.
2) Any third species must not scare the shrimp or Corys as the tank has minimal cover.

It would be ideal if this third species was not a voracious food hog.
I considered a few male guppies, as they can be flashy, and cheap.
But in my experience guppies will do their darndest to eat every bit of food before peaceful Cory species can find it.
Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want a centerpiece, I would recommend a small group of honey gouramis and/or a school of 10 -15 bloodfin tetras/ harlequin rasboras. Both species are very docile and will not eat any adult shrimp.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Its not a big tank, I'd try a school of zebra danio, I keep a few in my cory tank to clean up food that gets stuck in the plants.
They can be hit or miss on shrimp. A few male show guppies could also look neat.

More often than not corys scare other fish by suddenly darting to the surface.

Get some catfish pellets to feed your corys, its harder for the other fish to hog, also feed them a few minutes after lights out. You can drop a few flakes of food on the opposite end to keep other fish busy.

In my opinion, to have catfish shine, they should be the main/dominant species in the tank.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HSaki,
I've had blood fins before, they are pretty hardy but can also grow to nearly 2.5 inches long. That's not a problem except they should ideally be kept in a group. A group of 6 fish that are 2.5 inches would probably be a bit crowded in a little 20gallon tank. But they are a good recommendation.

Harlequin rasboras are a pretty choice. They should also be kept in a group that is at least 6 or more, preferably 8-10. Which is perhaps possible as they don't quite reach 2" in maturity.

Gourami species may be a very good fit depending on their predatory inclination and overall size.
I'll need to research and see how they get along with shrimp.

Thanks for chiming in Nordic.
I quite enjoy catfish but my only experience is both eating the larger North American varieties, and with a friends corydoras (can't recall which, but not the tiniest ones).
It is true that their "breathing" seems to scare other fish pretty easily. Which means my second fish species should probably not be very easily stressed.
Which means I should likely avoid the fish that are typical shoaling fish like tetras, as they are often quite timid and relatively easily spooked.

Longfin zebra danio are beautiful, cheap and also reproduce quite quickly. Being they are "hit or miss" with shrimp I'm not sure I'd want them unless I went with buying a couple amano shrimp which are too large to be easily intimidated or eaten by them.

Do you have a favorite catfish species to add to a tank of dainty corys? Something relatively easy to keep, suitable for the size, and attractive?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

If you feel confident in your keeping abilities and are planting the tank then I'd recommend a Chocolate Gourami. They tend to be pretty docile but are ultimately still predatory so if it fits, it ships. They do well in tanks where they are the only top level fish and are okay in groups. Plus, not an entirely common fish if you wanted something to brag about.

Other gourami species would be Indian green, 3 bar, and pygmy. Pygmy could eat baby shrimp but it's a hit and miss with cory fry.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gourami are definitely on my list of interest.
So are killifish, guppys, betas, and rams.

Though I hear that some beta fish will attack and consume even adult shrimp. Just tear them to pieces slowly. So I'm not sure about that.
Rams are beautiful, but sometimes need a fair bit more care.
And killifish species are gorgeous, though not super common here in the states, and quite shy, which makes me wonder if they would deal with the fast moving dainty corys.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
Gourami are definitely on my list of interest.
So are killifish, guppys, betas, and rams.

Though I hear that some beta fish will attack and consume even adult shrimp. Just tear them to pieces slowly. So I'm not sure about that.
Rams are beautiful, but sometimes need a fair bit more care.
And killifish species are gorgeous, though not super common here in the states, and quite shy, which makes me wonder if they would deal with the fast moving dainty corys.
Rams would probably eat shrimp as well, bettas do have a tendency to attack brightly colored things, a red cherry would be an easy meal. Killi are hit and miss. Most of the common species are either going to be too large or too aggressive. Some of the small species are worse than bettas.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitarianknight View Post
Rams would probably eat shrimp as well, bettas do have a tendency to attack brightly colored things, a red cherry would be an easy meal. Killi are hit and miss. Most of the common species are either going to be too large or too aggressive. Some of the small species are worse than bettas.
Good to know.
I thought many killi were less than 3 inches, and didn't need to be kept in large groups? Would all common species really attack cherries or S&P Corys?

I guess I should take your word for it. Better safe than stuck with an expensive fish that is overly aggressive.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Good to know.
I thought many killi were less than 3 inches, and didn't need to be kept in large groups? Would all common species really attack cherries or S&P Corys?

I guess I should take your word for it. Better safe than stuck with an expensive fish that is overly aggressive.
With killies it's all down to species. I had a pair of Gardneri that killed everything in a 10gal tank, even a female betta. Likewise, I had a pair of Striped Panchax(wild species of Golden Wonder) that did great in my 40 but grew about 5" long. Those are two of the really common species.

Another species I still keep, Least killi, are too small/plain for what you need, yet completely non aggressive. They are active fry eaters but they stick to the top of the tank so it's unlikely baby shrimp and cory will get eaten.

I could do some research on a suitable species if you want but it may end up being obscure, it's quite possible someone else on the forum knows of a good species for the tank!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Obscure is great, I just don't want to pay for obscure, you know what I mean?

Perhaps I'll stick with your gourami recommendation. Any idea how they get along with African Dwarf Frogs?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could try the sparkling gourami - they are smaller and will eat RCS shrimp, although amanos might be better.

Could also try green neons. I believe these have kept my RCS shrimp population down in a 20g I have that used to be overrun with them. This tank also has dwarf pencilfish, but I have a 2nd tank with the pencilfish and the RCS have not slowed down at all. So I believe it is the green neons in the first tank, rather than the pencils that have managed the shrimp population.

For a tiny catfish suggestion, look at Hara Jerdoni.

Hara jerdoni (Asian Stone Catfish) ? Seriously Fish
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:07 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Good to know.

Quote:
Obscure is great, I just don't want to pay for obscure, you know what I mean?

Perhaps I'll stick with your gourami recommendation. Any idea how they get along with African Dwarf Frogs?
Adf will eat anything as small as cherry shrimp.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Planted Member

Except for herbivorous fish, I believe any fish that could eat a shrinplet would do so. This has been my experience anyway. I have had fish as small as CPD and microrasbora sp. eat shrimplets, keeping their numbers down. They do leave larger shrimps alone, but anything that fits in their mouths is a tasty side meal for them.
Blacktetra and Blacktetra like this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitarianknight View Post
Adf will eat anything as small as cherry shrimp.
Adult cherry shrimp are about the same size as ADF aren't they?
I don't mind things eating itty bitty shrimp, just not the adults.
And ADF are WAY too small for Amanos. Unless they grow way bigger than I've ever seen.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumhobbyist View Post
Except for herbivorous fish, I believe any fish that could eat a shrinplet would do so. This has been my experience anyway. I have had fish as small as CPD and microrasbora sp. eat shrimplets, keeping their numbers down. They do leave larger shrimps alone, but anything that fits in their mouths is a tasty side meal for them.
My concern isn't that the shrimplets get eaten, but that something with a tiny mouth decides to be a bull-dog and shred something close to it's own size. I've seen a video of a betta tearing apart a full grown cherry into pieces small enough for it to eat. It didn't fit in it's mouth at first, but after 10 minutes all the pieces did.
I just hope that whatever fish I pick to go with my shrimp and corys WILL eat the eggs and babies, just not tear apart the parents into bite sized pieces, or chase the adults around and harass them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode