The Planted Tank Forum banner

Centerpiece fish for 90-P: atums/discus too big?

691 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pirasha 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like two or three "Centerpiece" fish for my 90-P. Great flow, good filtration but summer temps have been 80-85 during the day. 78-80 at night.

Is this too small for altums/discus? I am not going to change to water more than 50% weekly to be totally honest, so A: I'm not sure if my tank is big enough at just 50 gallons and B: I'm not sure if my laziness would let me have them, anyway.

I read that juvenile discus secret a hormone that keeps them small, and that's why people obsess over carbon and water changes especially when they are small. I read that if you don't do crazy high % daily water changes, they just won't grow into big dinner plate sizes show specimens. But I don't really care about any of that.... smaller would be better for me. I mean in a hormonal excretion way... not in a stunted way.

I was only even thinking about discus because I've never kept them before, and because of the heat issue. I don't have to have them or anything.

Altums are pretty big I am not really sure if they get too big or not. I'm not sure if angelfish would look weird in a 90-P. I should have went for the 90-H.

I should have went for the 120-H : )

PS: German rams would do well with the heat, but I was hoping for something a little bigger...but not too big. My hunch is that altums and discus are probably way too big....

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with Gourami - Pearl and Banded (the non-dwarf kind) are very colorful and get between 4-6 inches which seems to be the size you're looking for?

other than that there's Boeseman's Rainbow fish that are very striking when they color up. I think they get 4 inches or so - they are schooling though so that may not be something you're looking for.

I'd be careful of the Cichlids - the non-dwarf types (which I'm assuming you don't want as you said that Blue rams were a bit too small) tend to be a bit aggressive and like to dig nests so you'd have to be careful with plants and tanks mates. However there are some very striking guys that can be found if you want to go that route.

Let us know what you decide on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.