Are these Corydoras habrosus? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Are these Corydoras habrosus?

I went to my LFS today to ask about custom ordering, as I eventually want some habrosus cories for my 10gal that's currently cycling, and last time I was there, I didn't see any. After asking, I browsed, and much to my surprise--"salt and pepper" cories!

But looking at them, I got kind-of confused. They don't seem to have as much of a defined stripe as the habrosus I see pictures of online, but they seemed about the right size.

I snapped some pics (not the best, unfortunately, they're wiggly little guys and I was armed only with my partner's phone camera)... Do these look like habrosus? Or if not, what are they?

Bump: Another thought: Could they be Corydoras paleatus (peppered cory)? What throws me off there is that those grow to about an inch larger than the habrosus, and all of these seemed about the right size for habrosus, but I guess they could just be juveniles? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	habrosus?.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	660897  

Name:	habrosus 3?.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	660905  

Name:	habrosus 2?.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	660913  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 05:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm sorry, can't help with the id, but I wanted to inform you that no cory cat is suitable for a 10g. They need a min of 20g long. Hope somone can help you with the identify!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 AM
Algae Grower

I would personally guess Corydoras paleatus based on their body shape. These guys look like slightly more juvenile versions of my C. paleatus.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

Corydoras paleatus are sold, at least where I'm from, as Salt and Pepper Cories. C. habrosus are sold as "Dwarf Spotted Cory". Those are most likely C. paleatus. I've never heard C. habrosus called Salt and Pepper *shrug* This is why you should use scientific names when possible, LFS's!

Go Timbers
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I agree, C. paleatus.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platy Lover View Post
I'm sorry, can't help with the id, but I wanted to inform you that no cory cat is suitable for a 10g. They need a min of 20g long. Hope somone can help you with the identify!
I've always heard that the three pygmy cories (habrosus, hastatus, pygmaeus), none of which get over 1.5", are acceptable for small tanks. Many people have success with them in 10 gallon tanks, or even smaller. Pygmaeus in particular are largely considered "nano" fish, getting only about 1.2in long. With any other species of cory, you're absolutely right, though (which is why I wanted to be sure about this).

Thanks everyone for your help--I'd always seen "salt and pepper" as the common name of habrosus (if you google one of those names, you get the other), and didn't know that paleatus was ever labeled as such (the name I'm used to being "peppered"). I guess I'll be seeing about that custom order after all.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Farci View Post
Corydoras paleatus are sold, at least where I'm from, as Salt and Pepper Cories. C. habrosus are sold as "Dwarf Spotted Cory". Those are most likely C. paleatus. I've never heard C. habrosus called Salt and Pepper *shrug* This is why you should use scientific names when possible, LFS's!
I would LOVE it if LFS's would use scientific names more often. I thought about asking the staff if these were C. habrosus but I figured they probably wouldn't know. Hopefully I can order C. habrosus under their scientific name.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

And not even pretty ones. They do respond differently depending on environment and lighting though. I have 3 types, depending on the tank they are in. Brown ones under a CFL, raised mostly on leftover BBS from the danio fry in that tank. Also higher temp in that tank than normal, but they grow fastest. There are the silvery ones, cooler tank about 1.5' further away from same bulb with light sand, and darker ones in the planted tank with more lighting. They are all from the same mom. If it is paleatus, they get quite large, (about the size of your thumb).

Notice it has the same dot at the base of the dorsal. The side markings are very variable but is normally 3 bands.
I have a few offspring from her with very long fins, holding thumbs one is a male.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Definitely young Corydoras paleatus.

It is also my experience that C. paleatus is commonly named "peppered", while C. habrosus is commonly named "salt and pepper".
Just so you know though, just because a fish is small in size does not always mean it's appropriate for a small/nano tank. Even though they are small, some can be much more active and should be kept in a larger tank size to accommodate for their active lifestyle.
With that said, C. habrosus is the least active compared to the other 2 dwarf Corys (C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus) and would be more suitable for a 10 gallon tank (and smaller...).

There is Wet Spot Tropical in Portland, OR. They have great quality fish, huge selection and for the most part, do label their fish correctly.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Planted Member

Yes, paleatus grow large - mine are almost twice the size of my panda cories.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any of the dwarf cories will be fine in a 10g. Several years ago I had habrosus cories breeding in a 5.5g. I'm now keeping another group of 5 habrosus in the 5.5g, a group of 5 hastatus in a Spec V, and I have both species in a 20L. Love these guys.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Any of the dwarf cories will be fine in a 10g. Several years ago I had habrosus cories breeding in a 5.5g. I'm now keeping another group of 5 habrosus in the 5.5g, a group of 5 hastatus in a Spec V, and I have both species in a 20L. Love these guys.
Agreed. The dwarf cories (C. pygmaeus, C. habrosus, C. hastatus) are all good in a 10 gallon. Most if not all of the other cories are simply too big for the 10 gallon tanks. C. paleatus however is too big for a 10 gallon, and prefers cooler water than other species.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 PM

Love this thread! I am currently deciding which fish to stock in my new 20L aquascape and discovered the three dwarf corys on The Wet Spot site. I then did some YouTube research and found a couple vids on the three by YouTuber Rachel O'Leary. She refers to C. habrosus as Salt and Pepper Cory while The Wet Spot applies this name to C. paleatus...it was very confusing until I came here (of course). Thanks for all the info! its really helpful for beginners.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes. I agree that what you have is most likely C. Paleatus. I have about a dozen hastatus in a 10g planted.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh wow this thread is old...but yes, welcome to the forum!

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yea Alteraego, I watched that same Rachel O'Leary video and that's what inspired me to get some habrosus for my 29g. I would definitely recommend the little fish. No experience with the other 2 species of dwarf corydoras but these fish are extremely active and a great addition to the tank. I lost a few during a recent move (first time moving with fish so that was completely my own fault) and was thinking about getting some more to restock but was bummed to see that my Wet Spot isn't carrying anymore at the moment. Great little fish and to reiterate what was already figured out from a 4 year old thread, those corydoras are definitely not habrosus lol

Tags
cory, corydoras habrosus, id fish, identifying fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode