The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cory in Fluval Edge

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
I decided it was time to set up a small planted tank. I picked up a Fluval Edge and planted it up. Three dwarf corys and 6 neon tetras got added.

I avoided my favorites (bettas and ADFs) because of the tiny air opening. I've been reefing so long I'd forgotten that corys also gulp air.

Anybody have any luck with corys finding the small opening in an Edge? Or should I rescue them? So far it doesn't look like they're having any luck, and I don't want them to suffer because they can't find the opening.

#2 ·
If you love them, take them out. I had to play musical chairs with my tanks and dropped three Pygmy corys into my Edge. I didn't know they need to breath at the surface. Two died, the third was smart enough to figure out there is a hole. She's still alive, but she takes a minute to remember where the hole is each time she goes up for air. I'm still trying to figure out if she will get eaten in another tank I have (Bettas live in two of them) or if I want to risk losing shrimp. My mysterious shrimp deaths ended when the Cories were evicted from that tank.

#9 ·
Well, the corys figured it out. They still get frustrated sometimes looking for the opening, but they all get there eventually.

I moved my betta in from the craptacular EcoQube he was in. It took him like 5 minutes to find the opening. I'd say the Edge is successful.

Here's a pic of the betta enjoying his new bigger house:

Bump:

That's not a bad idea. There's a few low flow areas in the tank that a small dish would work nicely in.

#10 ·
What size Edge is that? Those don't look like any of the pygmy cory species, they look like albino cories which are gonna get an inch+ larger (read: 2.5-3 inches) than any of the pygmies (1-1.5 inches) that are appropriate for smaller tanks. You might be able to swing it in the 12 gallon (still not the happiest place for them IMO, but probably doable) but I would not keep them in a 6 gallon tank...

#15 ·
They take abut a year to grow out, with quite a burst towards the end, You could easily keep them in a smaller tank while young.
My breeding colony of 6 live in a tank a bit under 15 gal. It is my most stable tank, and the one I need to fuss over the least... apart from hunting eggs.

Heck, I only put a small filter in last week as I decided to keep a few special fry with the adults, ran for months without as I didn't want to filter out the cyclops etc. I managed to keep alive in the tank. Oh and there are 2 pink danio in there as well, they refused to be caught when I moved the rest of their siblings out as fry. They keep the surface and upper areas clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.