Your Friendliest Fish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Your Friendliest Fish?

We all have one!

Mine is the honeycomb catfish I ordered in the mail. It was unseasonably hot out, and the UPS guy had decided that "Live Fish" meant "keep it in a hot truck for hours," so when she arrived, on top of being thin and weak, she was on her back with heat stroke. So I spent the next few days scooping her with my hand and feeding her worms with an eyedropper, and she made a full recovery. But now, whenever I put my hand in the tank to prune, or move something, the fat little mermaid swims out of her tunnel to sit in my hand. She's probably mad at me for not stuffing her face with worms anymore, but I like to think she's being affectionate.

Who's yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynnaCC View Post
It was unseasonably hot out, and the UPS guy had decided that "Live Fish" meant "keep it in a hot truck for hours,"
Knowing a FedEx driver, they'll never alter their delivery route. They're just trying to get their job done properly. A further expedited delivery option would've been a safer option for you.

My Rainbows like to try and eat my fingers since they see that's where food comes from. My Amanos like to climb on my fingers too!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Panda Garras in general aren't shy to come over and suck on your hands when they are in the tank.

My personal "Friendliest" fish though was my Jardini Arowana (raised from just a 2" fish and kept him until he was 13" then had to rehome to a friend with a more appropriate huge tank). He would constantly come rub against my hands whenever I would be working in the tank. Kind of didn't want him doing that all the time so I wouldn't compromise his slime coat too much, but never had any issues. He'd even stay still and let me cradle/hold him in place, pet him and even hand feed. He even had some unique characteristics, he would swim through decorations in the tank as an obstacle course, maneuvering his body in crazy snake-like ways. I would frequently rearrange the decorations and he'd run swim laps through them, even changing course, doing it in reverse or changing it up and go different directions. He also would often do the same exact dance that Clown Loaches would do (pretty much swim up and down the glass in a "S"/Zig-Zag pattern). The sight was pretty cool to see his long knife-like body be so flexible and his scales reflecting the light as his body would bend at different angles. I had not trained him to do any of these "tricks", it was all his doing. Most human interactive fish I have ever kept (and I've kept thousands and thousands of fish). And I've had quite a few other Arowanas in the past and none of them were as human-interactive as this individual.

Really great fish! I need to visit him again soon. It's been a year since I've seen him and gave him to my friend. Would be interesting to see if he behaves that way with my friend or if he'd remember me at all. Not sure I'd stick my hands back in the tank though to try and pet him (he's likely huge and muscle-packed, so a snap at my hand wouldn't be very pleasing haha).

For those of you that have read about my Arowana jumping out of the tank (he was trying to snatch a fly that kept landing on the glass lid) and being nearly dead when I came home to him on the floor (dried out and almost no sign of life), but I acted quick and saved him, this is the same Arowana. He still had the same human interaction as before that incident, so more proof he did not have any brain or sight damage.

My German Blue Rams are pretty interactive, but nothing comes close to my Jardini Aro.
Gravistunn and Gravistunn like this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Planted Member

I have four.

First off is Queen the crayfish. I've only had her a couple months, and for most of it I've thought her dead, but last week (after the removal of the tilapia... coincidence? :P) she reappeared and she's easily got the largest personality in the tank (housing koi and comets)! I have a mangrove root that has a hollow bulb on the top with three openings. She normally has her one-clawed front half sticking out the side hole, as if she's a Queen addressing her subjects, but if I offer her an algae wafer with tweezers she takes it so gently. She's even started taking it upside down so that if she drops it, it lands on her face instead of in Monstro's mouth. If she sees me approaching the tank (or feels?) she'll scramble up to her perch to wait, and she likes climbing my arm. I have yet to be pinched by her, and I hope to keep it that way.

Secondly is Dubloon. I've raised her since she was a tiny yellow squiggle. She's a dojo loach, with large brown patches that have developed all over her body and head, giving her a rather unique look. I can't get anything done in her tank, since as soon as my hand is in the water she's wiggling over and writhing through my fingers like many connected living rings. I treat her like she's made of glass since a case of Ich nearly took her, and she's been especially affectionate since Paddle, her mate, died. But she's by far the friendliest fish I've ever met.

Lastly, are Monstro and Sarasa the sarasa comets. They and Dubloon share a tank, so I commonly have yellow rings and orange gloves on if my fish have anything to say about it. My brother and I caught Monstro and Sarasa in a flow-through years ago. Monstro will rest in my hand if I cup it (and he's a biggun), while Sarasa just swims in circles around it. I like to think they appreciate being removed from the flow-through and put in the safe, stable environs of a tank.

Fish like these are the main reason I love the hobby so much and keep getting more. Having a fish just bursting in personality really destroys the mindset that fish are easy, boring pets, and while constant contact with them can become dangerous, I still feel special that my fish allow it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camber View Post
Knowing a FedEx driver, they'll never alter their delivery route. They're just trying to get their job done properly. A further expedited delivery option would've been a safer option for you.

My Rainbows like to try and eat my fingers since they see that's where food comes from. My Amanos like to climb on my fingers too!
Oh yeah, I switched to FedEx after that. They're much more reliable. I'd used UPS before for non-live things and they tended to show up fairly early in the morning, but just to make sure, I used the most expedited option you could get on UPS, and was given an 8am delivery time. It was 2pm when the guy showed up. No more UPS for me.

Also, I love the occasional shrimp climber!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Planted Member

my dwarf puffer has more personality than i would ever have imagined. I have him on a nano on my desk where i spend alot of my time, every now and then he pops up and says hi. or begging for food or sometimes just scanning with his big round eyes. He is very curious and also not afraid, i can pat his back with my finger. He seems to enjoy life, but i feel bad for keeping him in a 5g, might get a bigger tank for him.
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazdaq View Post
my dwarf puffer has more personality than i would ever have imagined. I have him on a nano on my desk where i spend alot of my time, every now and then he pops up and says hi. or begging for food or sometimes just scanning with his big round eyes. He is very curious and also not afraid, i can pat his back with my finger. He seems to enjoy life, but i feel bad for keeping him in a 5g, might get a bigger tank for him.
I love my dwarf puffer, too! She's so inquisitive. Her tank sits on my kitchen bar so she watches me cook. She's not into touching the way yours is, but she's definitely one of my most interactive fish.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My Rosaline sharks would swim up to the glass if I walked by. They would all sit pretty and stair at me while I cleaned the glass or anything like that. Really good fish! I had about 8 or 9 of them and they were just the cat's meow. I loved them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Bettas. Just bettas. They are very trainable. I can catch mine without a net. They swim into my hand. They learn your hand if you put it in the tank often and leave it in there so they can check it out and bite on it. I wonder if they would know if it was a stranger's hand? I'll have to talk someone into sticking their hand in my tank and being bit by Bettas. I have sons that are grown men, and are afraid of this little fish bite. :} So funny. It can really pinch and is so fast that you can't get out of the way. Sometimes I pull my arm out and the betta is still attached!!! They are like the pit bulls of freshwater fish. Too cute. (Visions of bettas hanging off my arm. Wearable art?)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would have to vote for goldfish. I was able to pet mine. Only fish I ever named.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

My guppies are super friendly. I have three that just cruise around the tank and never pick on any of the other fish (when they aren't napping). They love people, and follow you if you walk past the tank.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Red Top Labidochromis sp hongi. Gorgeous fish, lots of personality.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I guess I should throw this out there: Koi. I've seen many people hand feed them and pet them. They are literally water dogs. I've even pet other people's Koi.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
How do you define friendly? Cardinal tetras were certainly enthusiastic about hand-feeding and recognized me as their food-provider, but when it came to feeding time they definitely weren't particularly friendly to each other or other fish. Marbled hatchets played a bit nicer and were also amenable to hand-feeding.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Had a macropodus ocellatus, Round-tail Paradise fish in a 15 gallon tank that would eat pellets from my fingers. He also liked to help me adjust the forest of Water Sprite in his tank. He'd swim ahead of my hand, and direct where the plant I was holding should go. Funny because later he'd spend the rest of his time just lazing in the fronds of the plants I didn't bother to move. Under-rated fish, and quite intelligent. I'm surprised more Betta owners haven't tried them. They 're one of the first aquarium fish to be kept (..back in Victorian times.), they tolerate cooler temperatures and are OK with smaller tankmates.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode