Impulse Buy Black Moscow Guppies - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mistergreen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Impulse Buy Black Moscow Guppies

Went to the club auction on Sunday and ended up with a trio of Black Moscow Guppies. They are in a 10 gal heavily planted tank right now and I believe I will keep them there. Do they require some aquarium salt? Do they breed true? I have an LFS that will take extras in the future. Do you have to cull them or could you just separate males and females of unwanted young ones to prevent future breeding? I have plenty of tanks they could go into as dither fish. Or do culls if bred throw dark black Moscow guppys again like OEBT blondes do? Any help is appreciated.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I raised guppies for a lot of years and never used salt. They do prefer water that is a little harder, but as long as I had a good strain, mine did fine in softer water too (way back when when I had it. lol). My blue and black moscows always bred very true. That may be strain specific, but I can't recall ever having an offspring that was the wrong color. The color was slightly deeper on some than others, but never a different color. I only culled for deformities personally. I sold the nicer ones online or through local fish clubs (or kept as breeders), then sold the ones that weren't as intensely colored or whose fins weren't quite as big/full to the local fish store.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info. One of the females looks extremely plumb, so I believe I will soon find out if I got lucky and ended up with a good strain too. However, I won't know for sure until the next generation as she could have been impregnated by another male in the previous owners tank.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Same as Jen. I've had Blue Moscows, never added salt, and I've even kept and bred mine in medium hardness water and they were just fine. I've never needed to cull any, the fry all come out looking just as nice. Of course if you are trying to create a top notch show quality strain, then you would just be selective breeding the nicest of the nice specimens.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Secret to raising them fast, is feeding them often, doing water changes even more often, and keep litters separate to prohibit hormonal growth suppression and ease competition for food.
Eliminate any weak growers/malformed fish as you identify them.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sushi nori sheet's (dried green algae) found in ethnic or Asian food Isle at Walmart.
I routinely cut little two inch by two inch squares of the stuff and let it float ,or clip to glass with veggie clip.
Guppie's are all over it in second's.(duck's on a June bug).
Also offer high protein flake as well ,but they love the Sushi nori as do the cherry shrimp's.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:45 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Sushi nori sheet's (dried green algae) found in ethnic or Asian food Isle at Walmart.
I routinely cut little two inch by two inch squares of the stuff and let it float ,or clip to glass with veggie clip.
Guppie's are all over it in second's.(duck's on a June bug).
Also offer high protein flake as well ,but they love the Sushi nori as do the cherry shrimp's.
You'd want unseasoned nori btw. Some are seasoned with salt and sesame seed oil, although I don't see the harm in those ingredients for the critters
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
You'd want unseasoned nori btw. Some are seasoned with salt and sesame seed oil, although I don't see the harm in those ingredients for the critters

Yes,, Yamamoto somethin or other, is the name of the stuff.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just went to Walmart and picked it up. It lists some sodium as ingredient but I would imagine it to be so little and not harm fish or shrimp. I will give this a try tonight. After opening the package how do you keep it fresh? I am thinking about making smaller portions and placing them in the freezer. Will plecos eat this stuff as well? Also I will have to keep it hidden from my daughter who is a sushi lover. So small portions label fish food should keep her away, lol.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
Just went to Walmart and picked it up. It lists some sodium as ingredient but I would imagine it to be so little and not harm fish or shrimp. I will give this a try tonight. After opening the package how do you keep it fresh? I am thinking about making smaller portions and placing them in the freezer. Will plecos eat this stuff as well? Also I will have to keep it hidden from my daughter who is a sushi lover. So small portions label fish food should keep her away, lol.
I just keep the package in zip lock freezer bag\ in fridge.
Pleco's,all of the livebearer's, and other herbivorous fish I have tried it with would readily take it with earnest.
As mentioned,I just tear or cut small pieces maybe two inch by two inch and more for larger number's of fish/shrimps.
For the young bristle nose I have , shrimps too,I either place a half sheet under a rock on the bottom, (they find it quick) or attach to veggie clip and just drop the veggie clip in the tank so it sink's.
Even Discus I kept some year's ago would nibble it off veggie clip stick to the glass in addition to the high protein food's I offered growing the fish out.
Cory's and loaches never seemed to interested in the stuff for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode