Share your goldfish! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Share your goldfish!

At this point in my life I don't have the resources for a goldfish tank. Let me live vicariously through yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...o4b2NaNmExeGt3

HERE YOU GO! My goldfish

Also a bonus picture of my cat next to my fish. (not a catfish)
AWolf and AWolf like this.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Eh some day I'll be able to have a big enough tank for a goldfish. The gold fish probably thinks that cat is his best friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Come on, I can't be the the only goldfish crazed aquarist out there!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm about to set up an outdoor goldfish above ground pond, since spring is here. Last year, a racoon or something (I'm pretty sure it was a racoon, because I saw it wandering around), ate my pond goldfish. I kept a ceramic planter sunk in the little 50 gallon pond for the fish to go into, but learned that is not enough. I've been told to use an open ended cylinder on the bottom so they can run in either side this year. I'll probably have a couple of comets and some rosey barbs and danios mixed in. They have all been able to overwinter well in Virginia. I keep a solar heater in it during the winter, and the ice still gets in it, but the barbs, danios and comets live. Did the same in Colorado with no heater, just a fountain, and the rosy barbs multiplied and lived over winter all without feeding for months during the ice. I was surprised about the rosy barbs.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You might find there are not a lot of folks on here with goldfish because they do not mix well with plants.

Spacelord, why one goldfish?

Bump: It's funny this post popped up because as of lately I have been contemplating goldfish. I really love big ranchu's and want a tank full of them. I feel I can only keep them if I go all out and buy a chiller since they require cold water and in the summer time my tanks hit 80 plus. Not only is a chiller a fairly big initial investment but they also add to the electric bill.

Ranchu's remind me of puppy dogs in a tank. Honestly I am kinda over keeping discus and south american cichlids, they tend to stress me out. I think a big fat goldfish might be the answer to all my fish dilemmas.

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 03-13-2016 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
You might find there are not a lot of folks on here with goldfish because they do not mix well with plants.

Spacelord, why one goldfish?

Bump: It's funny this post popped up because as of lately I have been contemplating goldfish. I really love big ranchu's and want a tank full of them. I feel I can only keep them if I go all out and buy a chiller since they require cold water and in the summer time my tanks hit 80 plus. Not only is a chiller a fairly big initial investment but they also add to the electric bill.

Ranchu's remind me of puppy dogs in a tank. Honestly I am kinda over keeping discus and south american cichlids, they tend to stress me out. I think a big fat goldfish might be the answer to all my fish dilemmas.
Yeah goldfish hold allot of appeal to me because also they seem to have a puppy dog like attitude but I'm too am put off by the big investment in various large tanks/Chillers/what have you.

Why are goldfish not great for plants in a tank?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosieonfire View Post
Yeah goldfish hold allot of appeal to me because also they seem to have a puppy dog like attitude but I'm too am put off by the big investment in various large tanks/Chillers/what have you.

Why are goldfish not great for plants in a tank?
Goldfish eat everything, including plants. I know a few members have planted tanks, but they have things like swords and other tough-leaved plants that are hard for goldfish to chew through.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I know of at lest 2 goldfish owners with planted tank, I spoke with them in the journal section.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

I have 2 goldfish in a 50 gallon bare bottom tank with plants, snails, and shrimp. They will knock loose anubias and buces that haven't rooted to rocks yet and unhook my banana plants from the airhoses, but mostly they peacefully coexist with the plants. I have had no trouble keeping them with swords, crypts, and java ferns. Here are some pictures of my tank. It's changed a lot since these were taken. Goldfish were definitely a large investment, but nothing in this hobby is really cheap. They're by far my favorite tank to watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	604729  

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	604737  

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	604745  

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great to see someone is doing it! What temp do you keep your tank at and do you use a chiller on it?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ditto 50s questions and also what cute little nuggets! I wonder if we'll ever have fancy goldfish that don't grow to be quite so humongous. I know I would be highly interested if someone could breed fancies that Max out at 5"!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

I keep the tank at 72 which is pretty much my house temperature. This is a newish tank, so I haven't had it through summer heat yet, but I have no plans to buy a chiller. I have three air stones, an Aquaclear 110 and an eheim 2217 so I'm hoping that will still give them plenty of oxygen even with a slight rise in temperature. I'll probably try usb fans to see if that cools it some when the airconditioner isn't running.

Bump: And thanks! I think they're adorable, too lol.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
they are really adorable! if at some point i decide that community isn't what i want to do anymore, i will likely do goldfish. my initial idea from the beginning was to do goldfish, but there's no good lfs to find any and i didn't want to take a chance with ordering any online because no telling what i'd receive.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I kept fancy goldfish for many years and I never had trouble with them and plants. The one exception, is duckweed or other small floating plants. It is salad for them. I now have and outdoor pond, and overwinter my pond comets in my basement during the winter. A treat for them is duckweed from my other tanks. Right now I have no duckweed other than a few bits. I have fed it all to my goldfish
@shhh nice goldfish tank and very lovely goldfish. They have such cute faces. It is a good idea to have a bare bottom tank such as yours. I did have a problem with gravel in my tanks, since goldfish can suck gravel up into their throats and it gets stuck, so that is something for people who are setting up new goldfish tanks to keep in mind. Shhh has done a great job!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode