corydora fry - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
corydora fry

I have some Sterbai corydora fry that I am attempting to raise for the first time. They are currently about three weeks old and it is going well so far. I cannot get an accurate count, but there is about 30 of them of various sizes. I have them housed in a divided 10 gallon tank (so, 5 gallons) with a sponge filter. They are still pretty small now and I am not sure if I should be netting them up this early, but I know I'll have to spread them to others tanks some time. I am wondering when would be a good time to move them out of this tank or how many I should have in one tank?

If anybody has experience raising corys and has any tips they can share that would be awesome too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160213_200654246.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	591458  

I have an AQUARIUM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Who is in the other tanks? Since I'd think one factor is going to be how big the cory fry need to be in order to not to get eaten. Are they big enough yet not to fit in their future tank mate's mouths?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

At least one seems to be considerably larger than the rest. As soon as they're large enough to not be eaten, they can go back into the main tank, and you might want to do that now with just the biggest few if you have somewhere they won't be eaten. You're fine for now as long as the water is clean, but they're going to get a bit crowded in there when they start growing in earnest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
At least one seems to be considerably larger than the rest. As soon as they're large enough to not be eaten, they can go back into the main tank, and you might want to do that now with just the biggest few if you have somewhere they won't be eaten. You're fine for now as long as the water is clean, but they're going to get a bit crowded in there when they start growing in earnest.
Yeah. It's strange how some of them are growing so much faster than the others. I have a couple that are over an inch and some that are still tiny and translucent. The combination of fry in there are from two separate hatchings but they are, at most, a week apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemesia View Post
Who is in the other tanks? Since I'd think one factor is going to be how big the cory fry need to be in order to not to get eaten. Are they big enough yet not to fit in their future tank mate's mouths?
Ha, that's a fine unit of measure! Unfortunately I don't have room to keep these long term. I might keep a few but the others I plan to sell to the local fish shop. There just isn't enough room for these guys in the tank with their parents.

I have an AQUARIUM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

putting baby fish with adults retards their growth...the big ones get all the food....

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
putting baby fish with adults retards their growth...the big ones get all the food....
Interesting. I didn't know that, even though hearing it now it seems like common sense. Thanks. I'll try to get the larger ones out into another tank soon.

I have an AQUARIUM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I find this true with even large fry/juveniles.
I keep my grow out tanks for the best specimens and put the others in the community tank with swordtails and danio. The ones in the much smaller grow out tank, grows much faster than those sharing with adult fish.
Also it is hard to feed the many small meals young fish need, without overfeeding the other fish.

If needs be, think outside of the square, a large cooler or plastic tub works just as good for raising fry.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
You should feed 4 ( small ground up food) times a day and do 50% water changes this will help keep the water pristine and also when doing water changes gravel vac with just a hose. Have been breeding cory's for years now.

Egg yolk is a excellent food source.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
You should feed 4 ( small ground up food) times a day and do 50% water changes this will help keep the water pristine and also when doing water changes gravel vac with just a hose. Have been breeding cory's for years now.

Egg yolk is a excellent food source.
I have been feeding three times a day because that is most convenient for me right now (lunch break, right after work and before I go to bed). I have been hatching brine shrimp in a couple two liter hatcheries and feeding them that. The fry don't seem to want to eat the ground shrimp pellets or first-bites that I have tried to give them. I think I might be overfeeding them though because I am dealing with an outbreak of hydra at the moment. Never had that problem before. I blame the brine shrimp but I don't really know.

I moved the biggest dozen or so fish to another tank.

I have an AQUARIUM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have a green swimming pool or old pond with lots of living things like tadpoles or daphnia, get a bucket full and keep your small fry in that. This helps them develop good intestinal microbes and you will notice they respond better to the same amount of food as fish raised in sterile water. They just have to live in green water until going after micro food is no longer energy efficient.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhes View Post
Yeah. It's strange how some of them are growing so much faster than the others. I have a couple that are over an inch and some that are still tiny and translucent. ... I might keep a few but the others I plan to sell to the local fish shop. ... I moved the biggest dozen or so fish to another tank. ...
It's not strange, it's natural, literally natural. The more spawns you raise the more you'll see that. Those that mature the soonest pair off the soonest and reproduce the soonest. Natural selection is less concerned with colors/finnage than it is with maturity rate, the opposite usually holds true with artificial (human) selection. From the dozen that have been removed try to identify an alpha and beta pair, those 4 fish you keep. The rest sell, even as juveniles. That's natural selection. If you are targeting a particular color/fin type (artificial) than you'll need to raise them all to sexual maturity, as the flashiest fish have a tendency to mature the latest.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto, I find it easier to select good stock after 6 weeks than at 3 months where they start to nearly catch up to each other....
But the "alpha fish" will always be that little bit bigger and more dominant. One way of getting the colour to come out, is to stunt the fish.... bad idea. but I have two tanks full of examples of fish born 5 days apart.

The big ones are still pretty pale, (rainbow platies), the small ones, a 3rd their size, are just about fully coloured up already... but they are retards. (it was an experiment that went a bit far, but now I know the importance of initial food sources as well as keeping water conditions pristine).

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Growth rates of fry are pretty much based on the food consumption. More food, more nutrition, faster growth.

Female corys do grow faster and remain larger than males.

The big cory is just a food hog (out"competes") and is probably a female.
Just make sure all the fry are getting their fair share to have similar growth results.
You can try feeding Repashy Spawn & Grown gel food. Just throw a nice sized gel block in so there's enough to last for everyone to get their bellies full, not just the fast eating behemoths. Supposed to be water stable for up to 24 hours before fouling the water.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

They only start to catch up to each other in our tanks, where they have access to an uninterrupted ample food supply. It's not like that out in the wild.

The "alpha fish" will always be that little bit bigger and more dominant in our tanks, for the same reason. In the wild there are alpha fish and dead fish. The colorful stunted fish never happen, they get dead first.

Big ones, i.e. the first to sexually mature, can be paler if the color(less) trait is advantageous to survival. Albino fish, as an example, don't occur naturally. It's us humans who peer into a grow out tank and amongst hundreds of nearly identical fry find our eyes gravitating to the one(s) that stand out the most. Predators in the wild also peer into waterways and identify flashy fish, and quickly cull them.

Different survival traits can go hand in hand. Small rainbow platy, that naturally are not supposed to exist, can also lack other traits that their relatively large pale siblings have, such as mental acuity (as you so eloquently state).

Last edited by jaliberti; 02-19-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: @ Nordic
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I feel like a worm, the tank was not in easy reach and was running unheated and with very little light for the first 6 weeks or so.
The fish from that tank are all weird, they even swim strange because of disproportionately large fins. But, there are three really nice colour variant fry between them with a much redder hue over their metallic bodies.
I should probably cull the whole tank, but my heart is too soft. I have always ended up keeping all the slightly deformed fish.... just away from the opposite sex.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode