DIY Carbon with Power Head Diffuser question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Carbon with Power Head Diffuser question.

Hello All,
I am trying to get into the carbon injection via a low tech means. Right now I have the yeast mix in a 2L attached directly to an air stone that is directly into the tank. This particular stone is putting out pretty fine sized bubbles. But I have read on the forum that a powerhead is a much better means to diffuse the co2.

So I was thinking about adding a powerhead instead of the stone. My question is what is a good powerhead to use (i have read about the Hagen and it seems to get good reviews) and what would be an appropriate flow rate for it. I dont want it to create too strong currents in the tank because of the existing filtration. I will most likely be placing the powerhead directly in the tank and using it as a prefilter. I've listed my specks below.

I am running a 72gallon, TEK T5 HO 48x4 (only run 2 bulbs at once). I've got a wet/dry (fairly high flow but dont know the flow rate) and an Emporer 400.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You aren't going to get enough CO2 from a single 2 liter bottle, no matter how you diffuse it. You probably need 4 times that to have a good chance to have enough CO2. The 2 bulb T5HO light will be giving you enough light that good CO2 is essential, so your best bet, by far is pressurized CO2. It costs money up front, but if you take your time searching the swap n shop forum, craigslist, ebay, local aquatic plant clubs, etc. you can usually get a much lower price than you expect. Then you have a good chance to succeed with the tank.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode