getting closer to finally completing my stand! - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
getting closer to finally completing my stand!

I think the GF is starting to wear thin on using it to. She was against it int he beginning but I Think she is liking the way its turning out and realizes its pretty impossible to find something pre made for our needs. We have a VERY specific height (it goes under our wall hung tv) to meet.

I even have enough space left to make a matching low profile canopy. Well not full canopy but Im just going to make a faux canopy that matches.

I have to attach the bottom trim still and do some finish sanding. The way I built this everything slips apart. In order to take out/put in the canister filter and CO2 tank underneath I needed to make the front removable. So the top slips off, which fits around the tank not under. Then the front pulls forward and up. I will prob need to do this once a month+.
Thinking of routing the doors, and maybe the top/bottom trim edges. Staining it mocha and then clear coating. Not sure if I want a more matte clear or high gloss. Then deciding either stained wood or frosted glass in the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160131_191706.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	584362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160131_191655.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	584370  

heel4you and heel4you like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice looking stand. I'm not sure I'm following how the top and front disassemble. Does the tank sit on a sub-top and the top we are seeing with the trim is kind of a surround? You pull the surround off and then the front can be removed? That's a unique concept I've not seen before. Pretty clever. I think routing the door edges and trim would dress it up and give it a more "finished" look. Nothing fancy, maybe just a cove on the trim and a round-over on the doors.

Hey, is that an old Fender studio lead in the back-round?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr125 View Post
Nice looking stand. I'm not sure I'm following how the top and front disassemble. Does the tank sit on a sub-top and the top we are seeing with the trim is kind of a surround? You pull the surround off and then the front can be removed? That's a unique concept I've not seen before. Pretty clever. I think routing the door edges and trim would dress it up and give it a more "finished" look. Nothing fancy, maybe just a cove on the trim and a round-over on the doors.

Hey, is that an old Fender studio lead in the back-round?
yes the entire top is actually more of a surround. Its pretty nice because it hides 90% of that awful plastic tank trim. Im thinking of using some small 1/4 round to hide the rest actually. The top actually slips around the tank. The tank simply sits on the 4x4 construction the entire shell covers.

The bottom will be one solid piece of trim attached to the sides and the front comes out.
You take the top off, then slip the front straight up. This allows me to access the much larger openings to get my filter and tank in and out easily.

when Im done im going to hard pex most of the filter and air line in under the stand as well. Also do some custom lighting and wiring.

The fender is just a generic mini combo amp for practicing. I dont play guitar much actually, not very good, but not bad. Im more a bassist and drummer really.

heres more pics of theentire process if it helps.

Evil Nick: aquariums

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Okay , I get it now. For times it would be nice to have the extra access space on the odd occasion it should work well. I like the way you've used pocket screws to put the exterior frame assemblies together. I made the back and inside supports for my 125 stand out of 1x6 pine pocket screwed together pretty much as you have done and then made frame and floating panel ends and the face frame out of hard maple. Everything is glued and pocket screwed together and it is very sturdy.
evil nick and evil nick like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks
Gorilla wood glue and kreg pocket screws are the tops

I just used pine due to price. Not the best wood or easiest to sand and stain but with some elbow grease should be good.
Thought about maple but man is it expensive

Last edited by evil nick; 02-03-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: crappy phone auto correct
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm guessing you have done a lot of wood working before. That looks expertly made! And, the proportions look nearly perfect.

Hoppy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
"slow clap" ..amazing..that looks beautiful and once that tank is all done I'm sure will bring it over the top..so far that stand looks wonderful..my hand built one just has a black cloth cover hahah
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks very nice. First time I've seen the 2x4 flat instead of on their edges, but with Center legs it doesn't matter I guess.
Do you worry about that much humidity right under the tv? Or will the top be sealed up with glass lids?
I would definetly go with frosted glass doors and then some nice color changing LEDs backlighting the doors.
Question: are the corners 4x4 treated? If so I had built a stand years ago with them and they started to twist after a year of drying out. That's something I would be a little worried about myself. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.
You can google "twisting treated lumber 4x4" and you will see what I mean. Myself, I would never use treated lumber on an interior piece of furniture now, back then I was young and foolish. Now I'm just old and foolish. Lol
evil nick and evil nick like this.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
Looks very nice. First time I've seen the 2x4 flat instead of on their edges, but with Center legs it doesn't matter I guess.
Do you worry about that much humidity right under the tv? Or will the top be sealed up with glass lids?
I would definetly go with frosted glass doors and then some nice color changing LEDs backlighting the doors.
Question: are the corners 4x4 treated? If so I had built a stand years ago with them and they started to twist after a year of drying out. That's something I would be a little worried about myself. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.
You can google "twisting treated lumber 4x4" and you will see what I mean. Myself, I would never use treated lumber on an interior piece of furniture now, back then I was young and foolish. Now I'm just old and foolish. Lol
My tank now is under the TV and I have zero issues. Was worried but after a while I realized it didn't matter. I do use a versatop though and will on the new tank.
The 2x4 being flat was for more surface area for the tank base and top wood to sit on. It's really sturdy with that center leg.
As for the warping, yes I'm aware that treated wood can warp. These cuts are only about 13 inches so there should be minimal length to warp and they were very dry before using. I got a bunch of scraps for free from work and used then for various projects. They are also #1 grade from a good yard. So far none of the others I've used elsewhere have twisted or cracked and they've been outside. They're all over a year old now.
They sat in the garage at work for weeks and then I left them in the summer sun for a long time to harden up to watch for twisting and warping. I think it's past that possibility but you never know, even untreated wood can warp. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm guessing you have done a lot of wood working before. That looks expertly made! And, the proportions look nearly perfect.
Thanks
Lol believe it or not I just wung most of the build since I've been doing it so sporadically.
I've had a lot going on but dying to dry start the substrate and test that sand waterfall when it's filled!

Last edited by evil nick; 02-03-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad to see you are aware of that, just keep an eye on it. Any chance of making a couple of matching end cabinets for the co2 and filter?
That way maintenance would not be such a chore and use the space under the tank for storage? Now is the time while everything is unfinished. A couple of cheap 1x2 or 1x3 would frame up nice and easy. Co2 on one side, filter on the other would work well.

Askhole :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Glad to see you are aware of that, just keep an eye on it. Any chance of making a couple of matching end cabinets for the co2 and filter?
That way maintenance would not be such a chore and use the space under the tank for storage? Now is the time while everything is unfinished. A couple of cheap 1x2 or 1x3 would frame up nice and easy. Co2 on one side, filter on the other would work well.

the cabinets are a no go according to the house she-ra. I already wanted to do that in the beginning. I had to fight her enough just to do this and I still might have to secretly put it in while shes out to avoid her nagging.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nick View Post
the cabinets are a no go according to the house she-ra. I already wanted to do that in the beginning. I had to fight her enough just to do this and I still might have to secretly put it in while shes out to avoid her nagging.

Do it anyways. She will get over it. Explain how it will simplify tank maintenance, so you can spend more quality time listening to her nag. Lol

Askhole :

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
so you can spend more quality time listening to her nag. Lol

Id rather drown myself in said tank
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nick View Post
Nice thing about being married a long enough time. You learn to not hear the nag.

The 3 best, most freeing words in the English language?
"I don't care."

I live by it.

I still don't like PT wood any place around my tanks. Or in my house. There is absolutely no reason to take a chance with it.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

started staining pieces
just decided to dive in with the black after running some test pieces.

Have to do the sides and clear them.
Just wondering if I should try a 2nd coat. On the test pieces multiple coats didnt really darken much so I Dont know if its worth it.

Also I routed the edges of the doors. Im 50/50 on it. They came out great but Im just wondering if the plain square look was just better. . Ill have to see when the canopy is done. Maybe Ill run matching trim on that faux table top to match the canopy and it will pull the doors in as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode