DIY Rimless 120 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
DIY Rimless 120 gal

hello,

I'm 99% done with my tank I thought I would share a bit - maybe to get some criticism, maybe some advices ? =]

42"x31"20" front back and bottom glass made out of 5/8 sheet, sides made out of 0.5"

Lightning: 2x 150W HQI ( one is 6500K and other is 8000K )

Heating - substrate coil

25lb CO2 tank + ph controller

Filtration: DIY filter made out of 33gal long tank

Substrate : mineralized top soil + laterite + eco complete + some ordinary "river pebbles"

live stock: SAEs + school of corydoras + 4x Hypselecara temporalis, 2x Laetacara curviceps, 2x Pelvicachromis pulchers, 1x Mesonauta festivum, 1x Apteronotus albifrons ( awaiting for 5x Ancistrus sp. albino and hopefully will get some more festivums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Akwabuild 150.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	17354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Akwabuild 092.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	17355  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
nice tank i like the width

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sweet Jumbo you have there! Looking forward to seeing the plants fill in..

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Big tank! How long before you decide you want a bigger one?

The only things I question about your setup are the substrate heating, and the lights. I doubt that a substrate heater can keep the water at a stable temperature - did you mean that to be the only heat source?

The MH lights cause big variations in light intensity in the tank. Why not use T5HO light fixtures - 3 for example spaced over the top of the tank? You would get much more uniform light, you could suspend them several inches above the tank to allow easy maintenance, and they provide plenty of light even for high light tanks.

Hoppy
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love the tank, especially the depth. A suggestion for future scaping changes. Maybe look into getting a piece of drift wood which moves diagonally from the back of the tank towards the front. You've got such a depth to work with, could really utilize it!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
sick tank dude...
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nice tank!

How are your cichlid mixes getting along? That's quite an assortment!

A friend of mine finally ended up pulling his mated pair of Sevs out of his 75gal planted tank, they kept tearing it up each time they spawned. Plus they killed most of the other fish in there... so just something to keep a head's up for.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice! Did make the tank yourself????
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Im also interested in learning more about this DIY tank... Perfect dimensions
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Big tank! How long before you decide you want a bigger one?

The only things I question about your setup are the substrate heating, and the lights. I doubt that a substrate heater can keep the water at a stable temperature - did you mean that to be the only heat source? - It actually IS the only heating source ( I can always throw in a heater into the filter, but the undergravel heater seems to be doing its job nicely keeping the temps slightly above 80F )

The MH lights cause big variations in light intensity in the tank. Why not use T5HO light fixtures - 3 for example spaced over the top of the tank? You would get much more uniform light, you could suspend them several inches above the tank to allow easy maintenance, and they provide plenty of light even for high light tanks.
I was thinking about using compact fluorescent, something more "uniform" however it works very well for me to have two separate light sources where I can mix the color temp of different K ratings and also move them the way I need, leaving 1 corner completely without light and the other parts of the tank: 1 very bright ( where I will place those plant which like HI light, and 2: a little dimmer, where my anubias will be ...

btw, the whole idea was to make it look CLEAN without anything unnecessary or BULKY ( all due respect but I hate the look of canopies )
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
Nice! Did make the tank yourself????
YESSIR !!! The only thing I had done was the 5/8 and 0.5 glass cut everything else was DIY I will post some pics to show you the steps :P
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Nice tank!

How are your cichlid mixes getting along? That's quite an assortment!

A friend of mine finally ended up pulling his mated pair of Sevs out of his 75gal planted tank, they kept tearing it up each time they spawned. Plus they killed most of the other fish in there... so just something to keep a head's up for.
Those cichlids are very calm ... the worst ones are Kribs, that's cuz they keep on trying to lay eggs and raise babies. Festivum is a lonely fish so no breeding behavior with her, Chocolates are too young to be causing much problems. The only problem I got with them is the dumb SAEs keep on jumping ! Never during the day so MAYBE the festivum goes after them at night or something ... The rest well, I think they got enough space to share with each other, so they aren't so violent.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbow View Post
Love the tank, especially the depth. A suggestion for future scaping changes. Maybe look into getting a piece of drift wood which moves diagonally from the back of the tank towards the front. You've got such a depth to work with, could really utilize it!
Yeah I was debating quite a bit how to put those two massive driftwoods and something like you said, going from the back towards the front would DIVIDE the tank a bit too much - my intention was to make it seem even DEEPER that what it is =] That's why there is a darker corner in the tank ( fish like to go there too whenever they feel like hiding ) + I still haven't made any background and that I believe will make the tank look much better... soon
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreGuy View Post
Im also interested in learning more about this DIY tank... Perfect dimensions

I got the glass for free from craigslist, overall it must have taken me something close to a year to get everything. Glass sheets were humongous ! 72x42 5/8 and something like 60 ? x 42 outta .5 inch ! had them cut by a glacier cuz I didn't want to risk damaging it, even tho I cut some glass before once I saw 5/8 sheet I was like NO NO !

In the summer I work in a plumbing company ( think big commercial plumbing no faucets no showers :P ) so they had lots of metal materials - and that's what I used for the base of the stand. Little cutting, welding and boom I had my frame, then used some plywood to cover the metal stand and then some leftover wood from my friend's work where they were making some outdoor deck outta some wicked Brazilian wood. Lamps I got on CL as well for much much less than store price. Most I spend was for the lamps+bulbs and for 3 or 4 bags of eco-complete ( I still had to buy 2 50lbs of sand )

blah blah let me post some pics so you guys can see =]

WITH MY BEST HELPER, MY NIECE MIKA

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hey Voytek333, Where did you get the materials to build your own tank? I was thinking of building one my self but I didnt know where I could go. Got any advice???? And some pics too?

*Forget about the pics lol We posted at the same time.*

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode